PDA

View Full Version : changing steering stem?

john.E.business
06-19-2006, 02:44 PM
I bent my stem up and was wondering what the process for changing one is and how difficult it is? my dealership said 8 hrs worth of work but that seems abit much especially at 80 scoots an hr... if anyone has a guide to installation and what not that would be greatly appreciated and the more comments and suggestions the better... thnx in advance...

HAVOK
06-19-2006, 03:00 PM
It's easy and takes about 20min or less.

Scro
06-19-2006, 03:03 PM
8 hours? lol It takes about 20 minutes, as stated above. All you have to do is take the nut off the stem on the bottom of the frame. Then remove the tierod ends from the stem, and remove the steering stem bolts from the top.

Then the hardest part,lol. Trying to manuever the tierod end mounts around all the wires when you are pulling it out:scary:. Just the exact opposite when you are putting one back in.

john.E.business
06-19-2006, 03:37 PM
lmfao as if thats brutal that they would say that... i mean it is bent and stuff but shouldnt be any different... what about all the wiring just reharness is to the steering stem? and would u recommend buying aftermarket or is stock decent?

MMcCannon
06-19-2006, 08:55 PM
C'mon guys, 21 mins. lol. Don't forget you gotta take off the bars.

DirtDevilBT
06-19-2006, 09:31 PM
Seriously! I'll do it for one hours pay. lol

If you don't need the taller length, stick with a stock stem. How often are you going to flip it, if you think it will be a lot, then by the aftermarket one. 30 bucks vs. 300 bucks= 10 flips

Hey, just thought of this, and wasn't repling for this reason, but i have an extra stock stem I'll sell ya. If you're interest, if not no biggy.

john.E.business
06-20-2006, 10:10 AM
if i had more time i would take you up on that stem but i think im going to get one from the dealership so im ready to go for next weekend... what about alignment though? cause im goingt to have to replace a tierod as well?

DirtDevilBT
06-21-2006, 10:56 AM
fine then, you don't deserve my stem anyway, YOUR loss. :p

Measure the other side and make the new one that same length. Install and measure the length between the front end of the tires. Then measure the back end of the front tires. The front side should be a little wider than the back end of the front tires.

Hard to explain but it should be in the manual.

Scro
06-21-2006, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by DirtDevilBT
The front side should be a little wider than the back end of the front tires.

I think you have that backwards. The front should be narrower on the front of the tires (toe in). About an 1/8 of an inch on each side is what I run on mine.

JW450R1
06-21-2006, 07:38 PM
i would find out about book time on the sateering stem replacement.dudman is right 20 minutes3 nuts,2bolts,4 handle bar clamp bolts,i smack up threw the lower shaft bearing.20 minutes easy.if u decide to let your dealer install it make sure they check out the steering stem bearing too.

john.E.business
06-21-2006, 07:55 PM
well what about if i where to install it and just get them to align it cause that would prolly take them no time?

JW450R1
06-22-2006, 03:37 AM
unless u r hard core raceing,the alignment doesn't really have to be perfect.put the quad on level ground.make the handle bar straight.step back from quad about 10 foot.take a look at your tires.loosen up your jam nuts.let your tires be slightly inwards ,which is positive toe-in.i think toe-in helps in the turns for pushing.it's a off road vehicle.

john.E.business
06-22-2006, 09:43 AM
yea im not a hardcore racer so it doesnt need to be perfect but it'll need to be pretty decent... but i will check the manual to see what the width should be about..

DirtDevilBT
06-22-2006, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by bama450r
I think you have that backwards. The front should be narrower on the front of the tires (toe in). About an 1/8 of an inch on each side is what I run on mine.

Really? I would have thought it should be wider in the front, better stabililty. My old lifted prerunner and rc gas truck ran that way. Not by a lot but just wider. Ok, when I feel like messing with my quad I'll ckeck that out.

Scro
06-22-2006, 12:57 PM
Really? I would have thought it should be wider in the front, better stabililty. My old lifted prerunner and rc gas truck ran that way. Not by a lot but just wider. Ok, when I feel like messing with my quad I'll ckeck that out.

It's not actually making the front end wider. To make it wider, the center axis running up and down would have to move out. When you adjust your toe, all you are doing is rotating on this axis.

tltcracing
06-22-2006, 03:15 PM
its not hard at all. i have done it five times and the first time is the ardest like alwase. dont worry about allinement. unless you changed it it should bolt right back up and be spot on. the harders things to do are fishing the stem through the wireing harness and finding the flat spots on the tierod ends so you can loosen up the nuts. just take your time and and do everything right the first time. if you do mess up or get stuck just call you service department and have them talk you through it. i know they hate it but you dont have to pay for them talking to you over the phone.

john.E.business
06-22-2006, 08:50 PM
yea the reason i ask about alignment is because i have to change one of the tierods as well cause its bent... but i will just prolly come on here and get you guys to walk me through it i have to haha...:macho

DirtDevilBT
06-23-2006, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by bama450r
It's not actually making the front end wider. To make it wider, the center axis running up and down would have to move out. When you adjust your toe, all you are doing is rotating on this axis.

haha, no no, just the front of the front tires are wider than the back of the front tires. :huh :p

400exrider707
06-23-2006, 08:17 PM
haha, no no, just the front of the front tires are wider than the back of the front tires. :huh :p

Cars and trucks all usually run 1/8in toe in too. If you go to Doug Gusts website he talks about setting up your front end and how vital it is to how the quad will handle. he runs his at 0 toe in. Perfectly straight.