PDA

View Full Version : No more dial up..whoohoo

Pappy
06-19-2006, 10:20 AM
I am finally breaking down and having satelite internet installed here tomorrow. Ive been on crappy dial up for the past 3 years and have had enough. Anyone have this and how well does it work?

Secondly, I am in the market for a new computer...any suggestions?

Jeffksf
06-19-2006, 10:22 AM
Your kidding right? You've been on dial-up that long?
You'll never go back after this.

Mxjunkie
06-19-2006, 10:24 AM
I've had alot of good luck with Dell's lately. I've had just about every brand gateway, hp etc.. Dell seems to be the only brand to really hold up over time. The one I am using now is maybe 2 years old and it still does fine.

insaneracin2003
06-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Ken,if you have Sprint there through your phone service like we do,i got the Sprint DSL,it is a fast mofo.Ii have never tried Satallite computer service.Are you going with DirectTV or Dishnetwork.I perfer DirectTV.NFL Sunday Ticket :macho
Good luck and welcome to the 21st century...
:blah:

Pappy
06-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Jeffksf
Your kidding right? You've been on dial-up that long?
You'll never go back after this.

I had cable at my old house for about 3 months before i moved out of state. It literally takes me 20 minutes to just print a shipping label so I am anticipating alot less time just sitting and waiting.

insaneracin2003
06-19-2006, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
I've had alot of good luck with Dell's lately. I've had just about every brand gateway, hp etc.. Dell seems to be the only brand to really hold up over time. The one I am using now is maybe 2 years old and it still does fine.
I second that!!!

Pappy
06-19-2006, 10:26 AM
Paul, its hughesnet, a division of directtv. we get excellent service from them on our TV so we are expecting good things from this.

DSL is not available, it will take them 10 years to upgrade the phone lines back in these mountains

400eXr1d3rZ
06-19-2006, 10:31 AM
Dell 8250 is bad ***. I have that one its pretty kickass.

WhiteYFZ
06-19-2006, 11:10 AM
WOW itll be alot faster.. also, i myself, love mac computers. but if i was going to get a windows, i would get a DELL . we have 5 computers in my house. 1 mac, 4 dell's

i like the mac alot better of course because of no pop ups and you dont have to re format them (EVER)

good luck with your new internet service;)

06-19-2006, 11:12 AM
You will NEVER go back to dial up after you go to satelite.

I have an HP pavilion mx704 and it pretty fast, no problems for 3 years

ohsobad_chevy
06-19-2006, 11:19 AM
DSL sucks arse. Cable or Satelite is the way to go my friends.

TheFontMaster
06-19-2006, 11:27 AM
Now you can take your post whoring skills to a whole new level :devil:

I second the idea of getting a Mac. I'm hoping to get a mac before I go off to college. A couple of my friends have them, they have all the video, and picture editing software. And they always are talking about how much easier it is to use than than a PC. You also won't really have to worry about viruses.

06-19-2006, 11:36 AM
ok......pappy, go to www.fatwallet.com

its a great site my dad goes to
sign up (its free) and check oiut all the good coupons/internet codes you can get and you can get a $2000 computer for $1000

my dad just bought the best Dell computer with all upgrades for more then 40% off because of coupons and internet codes

and my ibm r50p (laptop) was $3800 regular, which he got for less then $1500

great codes and coupons there...just print them out

good luck and have fun with the new internet and computer (and whatever you do, get a flat screen computer)

i have the TV hooked up to the computer so you can surf the internet and watch TV at once...its sick!!

660Grizz04
06-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie

Same thing here, I have a dell in my room upstairs its like 1 year and 1 month old, still runs like the day i bought it, and i download tons of songs, and my dad used to have a gateway downstairs but it just like .... stoped working, it was always real slow and junky ... So he bought a new dell maybe like 6 months ago and no problems from it ....

Quad18star
06-19-2006, 11:43 AM
Geez Pappy , it must have taken you forever when you post up all those pictures using dial-up . Welcome to the world of faster internet !!!!

Having cable , I would never be able to go back to dial up . My parents have it up at their place ( the cottage) and I get frustrated if I have to get on and doing anything . Click on a website , go make a sandwich , have a beer then come back and the page MIGHT be fully loaded .

Let me know how you like the satelite internet , my parents are thinking about upgrading also .

400exstud
06-19-2006, 12:21 PM
Arn't you the lucky one:grr: . I can't get anything but dialup or satilite and that has a $500 istall charge!

The sad thing is that Charter Communications's Mid-West help center is less than a mile away from my house but I still can't get that.

BlasterEaten250
06-19-2006, 01:26 PM
I still have dial-up:grr:

LTZ400rider
06-19-2006, 02:03 PM
holy chit, id die if i had dial up, i think cable is too slow!
i havent had dial up since probaly 7 years ago

MOFO
06-19-2006, 02:33 PM
I wish you luck with your new service!

I hope its improved since I have used it. I had a customer in the middle of nowhere... no DSL,CABLE...etc and they used Sat. internet service... it was pretty slow IMO for what it costs...and yes, they had a great signal and properly adjusted dish.

I think the actual speed was about 3x dial up. Also keep in mind, your upload's might still be using a phone line. Like I said, its been awhile since I have seen this service (so I'm basing it from older info), but they do not give you a dish that will upload - only download. Keep that in mind and ask questions.

JRP
06-19-2006, 02:34 PM
we got adelphia about 4months ago. Its awsome, and i have had no problems at all. 50x better then dial up

PolarisRider
06-19-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by LTZ400rider
i think cable is too slow!

cable, slow? haha....hahaha.....ha

mines like freakin lightning

bayou boy
06-19-2006, 04:16 PM
we use satelite at the office in brazil. it is comparable in speed to my cable at the house, seems to be reliable also

Lablatt
06-19-2006, 04:39 PM
Ive heard mixed reviews on satellite internet. Its just like any other dish system, if its windy, or raining, or just bad weather in general, you will lose signal. I see that being its only downfall. Some people say they get great speeds with their dish, others say its on par with dialup. I would have to think its atleast better than dialup.

For a computer, the obvious choice would be to build your own. It may sound frightning, but its really not bad at all. You could build a nice computer that will last quite some time for half the price of a manafactured PC. It could withstand 4-5 years of new software coming out before needing to be upgraded, hardware wise. It seems to be, as soon a production computer hits the market, its technically outdated already.

If your not up to the task of that, look into Dell, they are a great company.

Good luck Pappy!

wheeltrax
06-19-2006, 04:44 PM
im glad i went to cable over dial up. you will love the switch.

wvspeedfreak
06-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

DSL is not available, it will take them 10 years to upgrade the phone lines back in these mountains

We were talking about that the last time I was there.I think it's funny how I live further out in the sticks than you do and we have had DSL for years.Hell,up until about a year ago there was only one traffic light in our entire county lol.

Quad Boy 660r
06-19-2006, 07:49 PM
Im still hatin dial up. It's either this or hughesnet, and Dad aint payin $50 a month:(

Pappy
06-19-2006, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
We were talking about that the last time I was there.I think it's funny how I live further out in the sticks than you do and we have had DSL for years.Hell,up until about a year ago there was only one traffic light in our entire county lol.

yeah but you know WV:p azzbackwards from dusk to dawn:p

trx400exxracer
06-19-2006, 09:02 PM
I am finally breaking down and having satelite internet installed here tomorrow. Ive been on crappy dial up for the past 3 years and have had enough. Anyone have this and how well does it work?

pappy you will love it get on any time you want and your wife can use the phone while your on

i would go with a dell we just got a new one it has a flat screen monitor i will ask my dad which specific one it is

Pappy
06-20-2006, 03:46 PM
welp....it works:p

fast as i could want it also. new HP in the house also:p

insaneracin2003
06-20-2006, 04:01 PM
welp....it works:p

fast as i could want it also. new HP in the house also:p
so that meens Hewlett Packard or Horse Power??:blah:

400exrules
06-20-2006, 04:16 PM

whatever you do, STAY AWAY FROM HP!!!!

Pappy
06-20-2006, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
whatever you do, STAY AWAY FROM HP!!!!

lol...i have 2 hp's that are still in use after almost 9 years. I have 2 dells, 1 is junk and the other works fair.

400exrules
06-20-2006, 04:39 PM
lol...i have 2 hp's that are still in use after almost 9 years. I have 2 dells, 1 is junk and the other works fair.

i havent had much luck with my hp:ermm: