PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild rebuild!

Jake250ex
06-19-2006, 08:24 AM
Alright guys, I bought a 03 predator for $2300. It was in decent shape and had some mods. It had tripple rate springs, a pipe, tires, bars, stem, bumper... you know the usual stuff. Well, I let my brother in law borrow it and he crashed it head on into a creek bank. It broke all the steering (knuckles, pro steering). The motor had already had it, it was smoking and losing alot of power. The plastics are all cracked, the shocks were too stiff for me, the swingarm was too long and the tires were worn. So I had a good bit of work ahead of me.

So, heres my plan. I am going to purchase the following parts to build a XC machine.

works connection clutch and perch
558 12.5:1 kit
complete HMF with black canister
hpd valve springs
elka tripple rate fronts w piggybacks and comp. adj.
05 rear shock revalved and resprung
05 swingarm
red maier plastics
IMS natural 4.0 gallon tank
pro armor nerfs
black cycras
black hipers
I razrs on rear
razr 2's on front

Ive already got some of the parts ordered. It should be pretty sweet within a month or so.

XCpred
06-19-2006, 09:16 AM
Sounds like it's gonna be a sweet machine. Get some before and after pictures.

wolffie
06-19-2006, 11:13 AM
sounds awesome!

if your shocks are still in one piece, you can send them to www.wolfpackracing.com or www.rathracing.com to get rebuilt. i send mine out to Shane at wolffpackracing and he said for around $300-$400 he can rebuild any shocks into the likes of a higher performance elka. i dont know what would work for you, but you might be able to save a little cash this way. if not, screw it and buy the elkas:D

good luck, and tell us how the 558 is! i am curious to see how much power it puts out.

Iliketogofast
06-27-2006, 09:44 AM
You gotta do a build-up thread like we have on the R forums. There's actually one on there right now that's looking sick. Here's how: Get a before pic, take pics of the parts as they arrive and take pics as you get the stuff on peice by peice. I want to see a Pred being built!

Here's a link to that thread by the way: http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=211229 Is that sick or what?

wolffie
06-27-2006, 09:53 AM
That is a GREAT idea! i am finishing up a custom paint job on my quad (as well as some other goodies) so if no one else starts this thread in a couple of days, i will post one up!

hopefully a moderator could make it a sticky too! great idea iliketogofast!

Jake250ex
07-15-2006, 04:27 PM
before : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a61/quadrider47/Picture056.jpg

current state : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a61/quadrider47/Picture019.jpg

parts are arriving : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a61/quadrider47/Picture018.jpg

bros blood on my exhaust (nice touch) : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a61/quadrider47/Picture017.jpg

lend you chit out and it will look like this : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a61/quadrider47/Picture016.jpg

XCpred
07-15-2006, 07:17 PM
I'd be pissed for sure.:mad:

Jake250ex
07-17-2006, 08:55 AM
got the bars,grips, handguards, radiator, new custom shroud and all the front end fixed. def a much better setup.

looks like im not gonna have the cash for hipers of new shocks. this is way more expensive then i figured. oh well it was still in order.

i should have the tires on today

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a61/quadrider47/Picture021-1.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a61/quadrider47/Picture020-1.jpg

Prey
07-17-2006, 09:35 AM
JMHO,

but i think that if you havent bought it yet, you could do without the 558 BBK (put that money towards something else, i know how expensive ground up rebuilds are), a piped/filtered properly jetted predator already makes plenty of power for XC racing, and the nice thing about it is the power with pipe and filter is very smooth, which means less fatigue. IDK what the power characteristics of the 558 are?

Jake250ex
07-17-2006, 09:21 PM
I wasnt going to get the 558 kit origianlly. Like I said it was smoking and lost power, then I ordered a stock size wiseco and it was too small :confused: I just said screw it, you can always use more power and had it sent out to avoid further confusion and at least I know it will be right.

Got the tires and wheels on today. looks alot better.

wolffie
07-18-2006, 02:43 PM
looking good man. if you do decide to get the 558 you'll have to give us an update on how it compared to your old bore!

Jake250ex
07-19-2006, 11:26 PM
the 558 will be here tomm.

sounds dissapointing so far.. no nicasil, and about a 3-5hp gain :ermm:

oh well, its done with and im $400 broker :)

Jake250ex
07-20-2006, 11:24 PM
got the motor all put together today.. pretty complicated getting the timing right. should be completely together tomm and ill have pics. i dont have the money for hipers or shocks but ill have a IMs tank on the way soon

Jake250ex
08-14-2006, 08:47 PM
got it all done and put it all together, had my first ride on it yesterday. a couple probs with it but its definitely a different machine.

the bad things : 12.5:1 compression. HELL on the starter and battery. battery must be at full charge to turn it over, but once it turns over it fires everytime. batterys pretty crappy too... there was some pushstarting involved :p

good and bad here - 22x11x9 rear kenda knarlys and 23x7x10 klaws - its what the long swingarmed 03 needs to hook up, but its scary sliding into a high speed corner - they have a tendancy to abruplty hook

rath rear hubs w/ honda bolt patter and 400ex wheels - the bolt holes are oversized for the studs and its a sloppy fit. they arent perfectly centered and they wobble as if i have a bent axle

and this is my own fault - i didnt tighten my bars down enough! i landed a little 40' table and they went down to the tank upon impact! whats worse is when it did it stretched the throttle cable and opened the carb up so i was 1/2 throttle after i landed. i joked around for a minute and rode like that it was pretty funny

the good

POWER!! dang, its kinda scary! i had some bad axle bearings earlier, so bad it was hard to roll and mixed with a really sloppy top end it was pretty weak. well, now i cant keep the front wheels on the ground! i rode dang near a half mile wheelie with the predators crappy balance point. i wish i could get a vid. its not so much stronger on the low end, but once it hits mid range it pulls like a freight train to the top. it has so much top end its hard to keep the bars in your hands flying down a wide open field or trail in 4th :eek2:

hook up! the new tires freaking HOOK HARD. so much so its hard to do a low speed donut in grass and it would be hard not to loop around before. the whole reason i did this is that in all my XC races the crappy traction couples with low ground clearnce let my whole class freight train me after i got stuck. lets see what happens now :devil:

well, ill get some pics for ya here soon of the final project. the plastics and tank look like crap i wish i could afford new ones

need a steering stabilizer too

katch26
08-15-2006, 10:21 AM
just get the plastics from polaris 199 shipped!

wolffie
08-15-2006, 10:25 AM
sounds interesting...the power sounds amazing, but whats up with the hubs? what bolt pattern did you get that they are fittin sloppy with your wheels?

those Kenda's are SICK btw! i went with the klaws for mx, but the knarly's are going to be my next trail tire.

what is the stock compression of the pred, and what octane gas are you runnin now with the 12:5:1?? i was thinkin of doin a high comp piston to my pred but im not sure how high to go (probably just one up)

anyways, keep us updated. once you get the "bugs" worked out it sounds like you will have a beasty machine on your hands!!

katch26
08-15-2006, 10:48 AM
stock is like 10.5 to 1

Jake250ex
08-15-2006, 07:54 PM
Currently I am running just 93 octane "v power" from shell. I dont run 110 or any other race fuel because I work at a dealership where we dyno tune quads and bikes all day and they consistently make more power with 93 than race fuel, plus high octane makes you run hotter. You can raplace the smell of it though :D It runs great with regular old pump fuel.

I have the Rath billet XC rear hubs that convert them to a Honda bolt pattern and stock 400ex rear wheels and they fit but sloppy. As for the plastics, I may use plastic renew, Im not looking to spend any more than I have to on this, I plan on putting it up for sale here soon. I really wish they didnt have that fugly gap in the plastics where the gas tank is, it looks like hell and isnt a cheap fix. Once I get it all 100% cleaned up and all the little odds and ends finishes ill have the latest pics. Should be around a week or so.

wolffie
08-15-2006, 08:00 PM
sounds good.

katch26
08-16-2006, 06:27 AM
are you selling it? Did you build it just for a project, I thought you were building a racer.

Jake250ex
08-16-2006, 08:01 PM
Yeah Im wanting to get rid of it. The motor was done for and it was in sad shape, it was also crashed. I put some cash and time into it now I have no time and no where to ride and a 5.0 Mustang has been on my mind for a while.

Anyone intersted? I may part out, If I have alot of dibs on parts.

wolffie
08-16-2006, 08:22 PM
sent ya a PM. if you decide to part this beast out, i might be interested in some things.

wolffie
08-16-2006, 08:35 PM
Jake250ex your mailbox is full dude.

katch26
08-17-2006, 06:09 AM
pm me with what you want to get rid of.

Jake250ex
08-17-2006, 07:11 AM
i cleaned it out

wolffie
08-17-2006, 07:32 AM
its still full. but anyways, if you decide to part your pred out, i would probably be interested in a bunch of stuff that you have.

send me a list of all the aftermarket parts you have on your pred with a price range. i might be able to throw together some kind of a package deal or something.

if you decide that you are keepin the pred, thats fine too. ;)

project_tecate
08-17-2006, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Jake250ex
Yeah Im wanting to get rid of it. The motor was done for and it was in sad shape, it was also crashed. I put some cash and time into it now I have no time and no where to ride and a 5.0 Mustang has been on my mind for a while.

Anyone intersted? I may part out, If I have alot of dibs on parts.

Sounds like the pred I picked up, told it needed a few little things but the frame was cracked everywhere, plastics were shot, starter bearing thing had all the bolts on the flywheel back out, etc etc. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, i was going to part mine out but it was to much of a hassle to box everything up and stuff so i got a new frame and all the new stuff i need except rear plactics. You should pull in a decent penny for the aftermarket stuff at least

Jake250ex
08-17-2006, 06:46 PM
i deleted all my messages :confused:

tell me what you guys need and make an offer!

wolffie
08-18-2006, 06:28 AM
i think you need to clear your "sent messages". go to the main page and then scroll all the way to the bottom and it says sent messages. just click on it and you will be brought to another page where you can empty it. i did the same thing a little bit ago.:D

anyways, do you have an aftermarket header that you would want to sell? i didnt see that in your build but i need one.

what intake do you have? i want something better than just a drop in K@N.

and then, what bend are your bars and would you be willing to sell them with the big bar clamp, because i would really like to purchase that.

and finally, how much would you want for the rear and front wheels (rims and knarly's) seperately and together.

lol, get back to me and see what you can do. if you sent me a parts list that would probably be easier to check out. you accept pay pal right?

katch26
08-18-2006, 06:30 AM
yeah me too/

wolffie
08-18-2006, 06:30 AM
actually, anothe thing, what is the bolt pattern on the front and rear of your quad? i know your rear is different than mine being it is an 03, but do you still have the Yammi bolt pattern in the front?

i mainly want that for my bro who has a raptor350. i know the 05's front rims bolt right up.

Jake250ex
08-20-2006, 09:25 AM
ok my inbox is TOTALLY cleaned out

the front is yamaha, i used front wheels off a 04 yfz and my 99 stock banshee wheels fit too. the rears like i said i have the rath hub and is honda but has its own pattern with a stock hub