PDA

View Full Version : carb swap

MossboysRacing
06-18-2006, 09:55 PM
Here's the story. I was looking to do a carb swap and have a few questions. I race XC so here's the details. The motor is an 85 with a ported cylinder. It's not a crazy port job and i don't know by who, but it makes a difference over a stock cylinder. Its bored .050 over and i run stock compression Pro-X piston. It runs great on straight 93 octane mixed 32:1. I run an FMF fatty pipe and power core silencer, delta force 2 reeds, UNI filter with outerwear and full airbox lid. Stock 34mm Pj carb with a 42 pilot and a 155 main. Now my question is, how much of a difference will there be by putting on a kehein 36mm PJ ? I know putting on a bigger carb gives you more top end, but im just looking for more power from bottom to top. And my last ? is, will a 36mm carb off an suzuki RM 125 work? Thanks, John

honda380
06-19-2006, 10:13 AM
i have the exact same set up except mine is only .30 over. i had a stock 88' R carb on mine and it ran fine but when i put a 38 airstryker on it, it did a lot. you are right, it gives mostly top end power but it beefed up the low and midrange. i would do it, i really like the added power my carb gives me. as for the RM carb, i have a buddy that put a honda dirtbike carb on a yamaha three wheeler and it works fine. im pretty sure it will work as long as you stick to the same brand. (Mikuni with mikuni, kehin with kehin). it cant hurt to try it! -Corey-