PDA

View Full Version : tapping noises coming from my engine

†2005 400ex†
06-18-2006, 09:54 PM
I bought a 05 400exabout a month and a half ago and have been ridin it ever since. Im having a problem with tapping noises coming from the engine. I just had the valves ajusted. I dont hear it much untilliv been ridin for a while, and i cant hear it when i rev it into higher rpm.Is there something wrong or am i just making something out of nothing? Thanks

p.s. i have been very happy with my ex

GPracer2500
06-18-2006, 10:09 PM
Likely it's nothing.

It's probably a good idea to learn how to check the valve clearances your self. With minor mechanical aptitude, basic tools, and a service manual it's an easy job. I've heard horror stories of unscrupulous service departments not touching an engine when they say they adjusted the valves [shrug].

You could also try switching to a high-end fully synthetic oil. Some report that has quited down noisey valvetrains.

The above assumes what your hearing is coming from the valvetrain.

Good luck.

†2005 400ex†
06-18-2006, 11:53 PM
Thanks ill look into that and it would probably be good to know how to adjust the valves anyway just to double check everything like you said.

johnsls
06-19-2006, 08:00 PM
I would suggest taking it back to the place who did your valve adjustment in the first place. Let them listen to it and if they say yeah your valves need adjusting.. WHACKEM REAL HARD. Call him a dumb *** and remind them (with receipt) that they were the ones to were "supposed" to adjust them xx days/weeks ago..
Then make sure they really do the work

Of course this is IF this is what your problem is.. :D

EXevan91
06-19-2006, 08:05 PM
it might even be your chain chattering. is your chain loose at all?

exboomer
06-19-2006, 08:45 PM
Are you sure you are not hearing any pinging or pre-detonation? If the valves were loose the noise would probably happen all the time. My 03 was making a tapping type noise and it turned out the spark plug was cracked. The noise sounded like a valve was sticking in the guide and slamming shut. Check the obvious.

BossmanEX
06-19-2006, 08:54 PM
How hard was it riden by the previous owner? It could be a stretched timing chain or worn tensioner. Ive heard this noise many times in different hondas. Also, try Hondalube oil. Its expensive but it does make a lot of difference in quieting noises.

†2005 400ex†
06-20-2006, 12:31 AM
I know its not the drive chain, but i baught it brand new from the dealer, it was an overstock model.

BossmanEX
06-20-2006, 11:41 AM
Has it done it since you brought it home or is it something that just started?

priebo15
06-20-2006, 12:12 PM
have it checked out. this sounds like what happened to my truck a couple months ago. i would get into the higher rpm's and it would start "clicking" or tapping very loud. we all figured it was just a spark plug knock from cheap gas but not long after the headgaskets blew :eek2: . fixed that and runs perfect now.

†2005 400ex†
06-20-2006, 01:08 PM
alright ill try that, thanks for all the help

06-20-2006, 01:30 PM
make sure the chain is tight, its not hitting the skid plate and your head gasket isnt blown.

when my head gasket went in my old quad, it soundedlike a tapping but it was the compression leaking out >_<

burnt the piston