PDA

View Full Version : My first ATV

mmorganz400
06-18-2006, 09:11 PM
I just got a new 06 LTZ400 and i was wondering if ther was any thing that I needed to do to break it in. I have riden it around my backyard but it was not for mor than 30 min. I am planning on going riding this comming weekend in PA and was wanting to know if i had to do anything to break it in first.

nosliw
06-18-2006, 10:52 PM
for the first few tanks

dont bounce it off the rev limiter
vary RPM
keep it working under a good healthy load

let it cool down every couple hours too

yellowzo3
06-19-2006, 01:55 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=235654

get your magnesium cover replaced and new coolant first before riding any further!! it could ruin your brand new Z400 before you know it. this is very important and is not a "i will do it when i get around to it" kind of thing. if this hasnt been done on your Z already i highly suggest you get it done ASAP. there is a recall out right now so take it to your dealer and they should replace it if yours is one of the problem quads. congrats on your new Z and enjoy it! :cool:

Villageidiott23
06-29-2006, 09:24 AM
this question has been debated for years and everyone will give u a different answer but see if this makes sense to u. ride the bike through all the gears making sure the engine experiences hi and low heat so it seals well. puttin around in first at low rpms isnt gonna get it hot enough but dont hold it full throttle for too long in any gear. you want to make sure it gets hot then cools down. the piston has to work itself into the sleeve. so ride it normal just down beat the thing down. give it a break after a while and let the bike cool down.