PDA

View Full Version : .42 cents away from a squeaky clean airbox

roostfrom250ex
08-14-2002, 08:00 AM
After taking my K & N off to clean it, I'm looking in my air box getting ready to wipe it out with paper towels like I usually do.
I run without the the lid on so dust and dirt goes all over the place. Maby this happens with the lid on too.
Anyway, I could never get it as clean as I think it should be. All those nooks and crannies in there are hard to get to.
I thought, if I could hose this joint out with water, it would get the whole thing clean. But getting water in my carb and crankcase might be the greatest idea.
Getting to the point here, I measured my K & N to be 1 5/8 inches, outside diameter, which goes into the boot of the carb.
I went to Lowes to all those PVC fittings and got a cap with the same measurement. Slipped it into the boot, tightened the clamp, and sealed my carb off.
Then I pulled the breather hose off the outside of the airbox and stuck a bolt in it to seal it off.
Of course with the drain tube off, I sprayed filter cleaner on it, let it sit a little, ther hosed it out real good.
Now my airbox is as clean as my just cleaned filter.
These are the 2 parts that I had to seal off on my 250 ex, but I would think that the other quads would be similar.
Glad I shared this with my fellow EX RIDERS.COM followers.

Sparks425Ex
08-14-2002, 08:33 AM
I know you have a 250Ex but for anyone with a 400Ex. You might as well just take the Air Box out and clean it. It comes out fairly easy.

Haynes
08-14-2002, 03:24 PM
And here I thought your quad was scarred of the water!

SGA
08-14-2002, 09:13 PM
I use a little 409 and some paper towels when I clean the airbox

08-15-2002, 11:14 PM
go to office depot (or anywhere else that has it) and get a can or 2 of compressed air cleaner, works greats for nooks and corners

4punksdad
08-17-2002, 12:09 PM
I use wd-40...........the oily residue help capture dust on the inside walls of the air box rather than on the filter. I run with a drilled lid. I also put filter oil on the fabric over the holes to help catch dust.