PDA

View Full Version : Changin Coolant

IOWAracer
06-18-2006, 02:26 PM
OK I know there were some other threads on this but im making my own cause i have other questions. Okay i know how to drain it and everything but idk how to flush the overflow out do i just run water through it and it comes out through the radiator? Where can i get engine Ice is it at auto stores or local dealer? I read on another thread to use distilled water when i flush the radiator out can i use regualr water froma garden hose?

sorry i dont know much about this i can do bout anything to my quad just havent doen this yet thanks for the help in advance!!

broc

HAVOK
06-18-2006, 02:42 PM
This is off the ENGINE ICE'S web site and the the way I flushed mine. To flush the reserve pull the hoes off at the rad and flush it with the mix.
Most every coolant product will work best when changed somewhat regularly…at minimum, we’d recommend once a year.

For racing applications, we actually recommend twice per year. The cleaner you can keep your cooling system and the fresher you can keep a fluid, the better it will perform.

There are no special requirements for using Engine Ice.

For any coolant and anytime you are changing coolant, we recommend a simple solution of distilled water and white distilled vinegar, both available at your local grocery store.

1. Mix the water/vinegar at 50/50

2. Fill system with the solution

3. Run engine until warm

4. Let cool

5. Drain

6. Run clear water through to rinse out vinegar.

7. Fill with coolant of choice.

This is the same as cleaning your coffee maker. The vinegar is acidic enough to clean out and contaminants and residual coolants, yet it won’t harm your seals and gaskets.

IOWAracer
06-18-2006, 05:30 PM
what is the capasity of my radiator? So i know how muchw ater and vineger.

broc

HAVOK
06-18-2006, 05:49 PM
The rad is round 1/2 gallon.

IOWAracer
06-18-2006, 06:00 PM
so quart of water quart of vineger i think thats right lol thanks for the help Havok!!

broc

eganracing
06-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by HAVOK
This is off the ENGINE ICE'S web site and the the way I flushed mine. To flush the reserve pull the hoes off at the rad and flush it with the mix.
Most every coolant product will work best when changed somewhat regularly…at minimum, we’d recommend once a year.

For racing applications, we actually recommend twice per year. The cleaner you can keep your cooling system and the fresher you can keep a fluid, the better it will perform.

There are no special requirements for using Engine Ice.

For any coolant and anytime you are changing coolant, we recommend a simple solution of distilled water and white distilled vinegar, both available at your local grocery store.

1. Mix the water/vinegar at 50/50

2. Fill system with the solution

3. Run engine until warm

4. Let cool

5. Drain

6. Run clear water through to rinse out vinegar.

7. Fill with coolant of choice.

This is the same as cleaning your coffee maker. The vinegar is acidic enough to clean out and contaminants and residual coolants, yet it won’t harm your seals and gaskets.

im asuming u do those steps after u drain out the old fluid?

HAVOK
06-19-2006, 10:17 AM
Yes I made sure mine was clean. I put in the extra time and do things right the first time.

MMcCannon
06-19-2006, 09:00 PM
Vinegar huh, never thought of that. Learn somthin everyday. Do you run it with just the water after draining the vinegar solution or just fill the system and then drain it?

HAVOK
06-20-2006, 10:08 AM
After draining the mix, I filled it up with distilled water and ran it for a few min, then drained it.

slvrlakerdr08
06-20-2006, 06:08 PM
do u have to run a 50/50 solution of water and antifreeze through it when u change it?

IOWAracer
06-20-2006, 06:37 PM
Alright just changed my coolant

did as the directions on the engine ice botle said ran it for about 10 mina dn it felt cool as heck compared to what it had been doing in the past so i hope it works out good ive checked the level 3 more times just to make sure im golden and i think i got it now thanks for all your help!!!

HAVOK
06-21-2006, 09:22 AM
Get some PRM air scoops to go with the rest of your prm stuff, and let your quad run even cooler.