PDA

View Full Version : rebuildable title car

enduro400rider
06-18-2006, 11:23 AM
well i found a wreaked car i might buy to rebuild so i can drive it. its a 2003 Tiburon GT-V6. it got hit in the front and the bags blew. i have been wanting one of these cars for a long time and i might be able to get a deal on it. my question is, with a rebuildable title do i have to have it inspected and what not when im done? where would i even do that if i had to? one more question, does anyone know of a web site that sells autobody parts ect.?

Aceman
06-18-2006, 11:57 AM
Be careful with salvage titled cars. I've owned one in the past and it seems like you find hidden problems the longer you have it. For example, I bought a 2000 Mustang and ended up dumping an additional 2k into it within one month of buying it and it was supposedly in good running condition. I still can't get the alignment perfect because the frame is slightly tweaked. If your car was hit hard enough to deploy the bags there is a good chance the frame is bent. Call your local body shop and ask them how much is to use a frame machine. Mine was $150 just to hook it to the machine plus $60+/hr to pull the frame straight. Buyer beware with salvage cars.

enduro400rider
06-18-2006, 09:54 PM
the car is still wreaked, id be rebuilding it myself so i would know personally whats wrong with it. im guessing the frame needs a little bit of straightening but that shouldnt be a problem , i would let a shop do that but the rest i could handle myself, im just wondering what i have to do once its done, can i just go register it like a regular car of does it need inspected and what not.

xtremefullbore
06-18-2006, 10:04 PM
my dads work straightens these frames with a huge equipment peice and they charge depending on frame weight they weigh the frame and everything over 2 tons is 60 extra, but they usually do dumptrucks and big rigs, but he does cars and atvs as well and he said he does a $50 hook up charge, and $2.00 a minute and usually for a car it takes at least 1 hr to straighten a frame peice so if you have more then 1 peice thats bent I wouldnt mess with it, becuase he said you get charged to move the machine around as well... it heavy his machine looks like a shorter cherry picker, but not near the size but it has the table clamps on it and it is hard to move around so it can cost you 170.00 just to get the machine to use and then they charge you for serive so he said he estimates 500.00 depeding on size of frame damage, and then you also have to pay to get your car stripped down to just your frame and he said they would charge an extra 1000 to do that or more depending on how capable it is to remove. but those prices are very steep and thats for ust 1 peice of bent frame, thats 1,500 and a extra 500 for very other peice of bent frame... :scary:

TheX1992
06-18-2006, 10:21 PM
Here in Wiscosin, to get a Salvage title changed, it has to be inspected (even though our state doesn't have inspections). I know a guy who rebuilds car for a living, and he showed me an inspection sheet. EVERY part of that car bumper to bumper has to be factory condition. I mean they will fail you if your wiper fluid is low. Be careful what you buy, because it may bite you in the rear in the end. Bags aren't cheap to buy, and if I remember right, you'd want someone else to put them in, and I think they have to be like inspected or certified too.

It's not impossible, but it's no weekend hack job either. The car will have to pretty much look like it did when it was on the showroom floor.

Hornbreaker
06-19-2006, 09:38 AM
Are you buying it from a salvage yard or a private seller? If it's from a private sale just leave the title open this way when you're done just go reg it. Here in New York we have what is called 907a this is a royal pain in the bunnys, you have to have a bill of sales for every little nut & bolt. Good Luck with your job.