PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions...

ITSTOCK
06-18-2006, 08:33 AM
I picked up an all stock 01 400ex on friday night, and went riding on saturday. I used to own an 01 blaster with 240 big bore and full suspension.

The STOCK 400ex BLOWS that turd away:eek2: . I REALLY wanted a 4wheeler that I could drive through nice size "puddles", and mud pits without getting stuck, or stalling, yet be around the same speed as a banshee, all while handling good. The 400ex fit the bill to the "T".

I handles awesome, although, I am still getting used to throwing it around. I raced a piped+jetted 03 banshee 4 times...

Race 1 and 2 in the dirt: I beat him, neither one of us pulled.
Race 3 and 4 on the street: The first race, we both wheelied and stayed in it, and he ended up about 4 lengths ahead (the launch would have been a nice street racing picture!). The second race, neither wheelied and we were side by side for the majority of the way, untill the very top end the shee started pulling. My friend with the banshee, and my brother (a very avid banshee owner himself), were both really impressed with how well the STOCK 400 did.

Also, this ex just seems 10x's beefier than any of the yamaha's. I used about 3/4 of a tank or less, while all of the other 2strokes I was with used 2 tanks :D . It was even nicer not having to mix it before I went riding. I'm glad a picked the 400ex, it's a GREAT quad.

So now I need to be able to beat the shee, what do I need?

And also, what skid plates does everyone get? I'll just search if they aren't answered here ;)

Thanks,
Steve

miller821
06-18-2006, 12:48 PM
Ya man, the 400ex is an awesome quad that is reliable and very fun, and very good considering most people call it "Outdated."

But in order to beat a Shee, thats going to be pretty hard, unless your on an mx track or in the trails. If your just racing him on a straight away, your chances of winning are slim, (Unless the rider isn't very good that is.) You could go with a 440kit, or something like that, but then your going to be putting in quite a bit of cash.

But i'm assuming that 400 is stock? I would suggest a pipe and filter, cause you will see a noticable difference there for a low price, sprockets help, and suspension.

tar
06-18-2006, 12:49 PM
Get PRM skids mine have held up really well.

GPracer2500
06-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by tar
Get PRM skids mine have held up really well.

Same here.

krt400ex
06-18-2006, 01:14 PM
i wuold go with the pro armor skids. i have a swing arm plate and am very pleased with it. i hit a rock so big it bent my a-arm and my skid plate came out with hardly even a scratch.

ITSTOCK
06-18-2006, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
i wuold go with the pro armor skids. i have a swing arm plate and am very pleased with it. i hit a rock so big it bent my a-arm and my skid plate came out with hardly even a scratch.

I was just looking at them in rockymountain, and not only are they the cheapest (or equal to), but they look the bulkiest. That's reassuring to hear that they work good, and this will most likely be ordered by tomorrow.

So pro armor skid, HMF slip on, and jet kit?? I was planning on keeping it completely stock, and know I won't beat the shee's (fairly) unless I drop a lot of coin, so should I "feel" the slip on gains?

krt400ex
06-18-2006, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by ITSTOCK
I was just looking at them in rockymountain, and not only are they the cheapest (or equal to), but they look the bulkiest. That's reassuring to hear that they work good, and this will most likely be ordered by tomorrow.

So pro armor skid, HMF slip on, and jet kit?? I was planning on keeping it completely stock, and know I won't beat the shee's (fairly) unless I drop a lot of coin, so should I "feel" the slip on gains?

yes, but not that much. at rocky mtn u can get a yosh full system for$395 with the spark arrestor. they claim a 6.5 hp increase. i,m gettin' one this fall after i finish payinh off my quad. i think u'd be better off with that.

miller821
06-18-2006, 05:22 PM
Yes, you will feel a gain with a s/o (At least I noticed a pretty good one) but if you have the extra money, your going to get a better gain from a full system. Its pretty much your choice, you can always get a s/o and get a header pipe down the road.

bigbearkid4x4
06-18-2006, 06:22 PM
an hmf slip-on is a great choice for a slip-on on but like said above i fouind the yoshimura full system for 395 and couldnt pass it up. itll be here wednesday. once i get it on ill post what i think of it

400exstud
06-18-2006, 06:31 PM
I've got the HMF full system and it is BAD @SS!:devil:

ITSTOCK
06-18-2006, 07:35 PM
It's apparent that exhausts are practically users choice, so with that said, what do you think of the trinity racing system? There isn't much info about them, so I am guessing they are some what new.

krt400ex
06-18-2006, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by ITSTOCK
It's apparent that exhausts are practically users choice, so with that said, what do you think of the trinity racing system? There isn't much info about them, so I am guessing they are some what new.

they aren't new, and they aren't that good. i wouldn't get one

stupidhurts400
06-18-2006, 09:50 PM
i would suggest a fmf system thats what iv got