PDA

View Full Version : How do you disassemble a SKS?

jst
06-17-2006, 09:49 PM
I have never cleaned this old thing and need to get around to it.Please explain and pics would be great.I am sure once I get it past whatever the first step is I will figure out the pin and so on.thanks.

LTandRaptorider
06-17-2006, 10:51 PM
Dang... it's been awhile!

First, make sure the weapon is unloaded. If you have a 30rd mag, remove it. Otherwise, push the lever to ulock the stock mag. At the rear of the receiver, rotate the lever upwards and then pull the lever outwards. This will allow removing the receiver cover. There will be some tension from the spring. After removing the receiver cover, remove spring and bolt assembly. Now I am getting rusty... If memory serves me correct, just forward of the upper receiver on top of the barrel, you will find another lever. Moving this up will allow removal of the gas piston tube and piston assembly. Very important to do this as Chinese ammo is very dirty. Anyways... This lever is found near the rear sight. Pull the tube off, remove the gas piston. Inside this assembly is also the gas operating rod. Remove and clean everything, install in reverse order. Sorry for anything confusing and for my fuzzy memory! :p

jst
06-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Still can not get apart.It has a Fiberforce replacement stock on it.I cant seen to get the receiver cover off.Does the bolt need to be open?What about the safety?I understand there should be some tension on the cover due to the spring bu it simply will not come up high enough to come off.

sakirocket28
06-19-2006, 08:21 PM
cant remember all the details of how to do it, but once you get the hang of it, its really easy in the long run. the SKS was my first gun, been shootin since i was 9, there a ton of fun! good luck!

Plante400
06-19-2006, 08:34 PM
pull the lever on the back of the reciever straight up then pull it outward away from the reciever.

knighttime
06-19-2006, 10:32 PM
make sure you dont fire it if it is still is coated with cosmoline, and watch for the slam fire. you will be better off replacing the firing pin with a modern one that has a spring to prevent slam fire.

this is a good site for someone with an SKS http://www.sksboards.com

mudcovered
06-20-2006, 02:55 AM
Here it is, step by step..........

http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/carbine/index.asp