PDA

View Full Version : Racing

MX MaNiAc 06
06-17-2006, 08:39 PM
I was going to get into racing and my dad was pretty cool with it. But i got landed on at practice n broke my leg. It made him real nervous n sometimes he doesnt even want anything to do with quads.

He refuses to take me anywhere for practice cuz he hates dirtbikers. He thinks they are dicks n have no respect for anything or anybody. Which is pretty true but i keep my lines n try to keep out of their way.

How do i convince him that i know what i am doing?

450robot
06-17-2006, 08:44 PM
just sit down with him when he seems calm, and explain to him that this is what you love, and want to do, that any sport, or anything for that matter nowadays is at risk for injury, and that with all the proper riding gear, you will be safe from most injuries

say that you know your new to racing, and you will take it easy and practice to work your way up to skill

and other encoraging things along that line

JRP
06-17-2006, 08:49 PM
my mom still dosent want me to race, but my dad said he really dosent want me to do it, but i told him how much i enjoyed riding and he thinks im pretty good. I go and ride places and he hears ppl telling me im doing well and i should keep on going, and my dad hears that and it makes him proud.

1fst400
06-17-2006, 09:09 PM
Im in the same boat here. My dad dident want me racing one bit. So I packed up all my stuf and got my friends dad to bring me. My dad wasent fond of it, but he got over it. After I went to a cupple races I talked him into bringing me to a practice track. I was the only quad out of 30+ dirbikes. He was amazed on how badly I was beating on my quad, He was like " If you smash on that thing this hard during a practice I cant amagine how it holds up in a race".

So then I got one of my dads friends to bring me to the open quad practice at joly rogers. He told my dad it wasent realy that dangerous...

So finally I got my dad to go to a race, He kept telling me to take it easy and not push it. This was untill I qualified in 4th pos in the B class (first year racing 4th-5th time on a race track). After that He was all into it. For the main race he was all ready with his camera, telling me to let er rip. But of course I had to let him doun and crashed on the holeshot, that kinda ruined things... But he was still impresed that I caught back up to the field.

as for my mom, she dono I race.:devil:

Ha jk , but she isnt fond of it.

firefighterjosh
06-17-2006, 09:10 PM
I broke my shoulder and my Dad was going to sell his quad and they were very upset. I just took a year off racing let me self heal and let the drama ride its self out. Now my whole family is into racing. Just be careful even if it isn't you fault. I had to gain there respect by not wrecking. I look at things twice now. Also try to practice when there isn't any dirt bikers on the track. I hate them too since I am not the best MXer around. they fly 2 foot from me when they know I am not going to triple a jump.

MX MaNiAc 06
06-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by 1fst400
Im in the same boat here. My dad dident want me racing one bit. So I packed up all my stuf and got my friends dad to bring me. My dad wasent fond of it, but he got over it. After I went to a cupple races I talked him into bringing me to a practice track. I was the only quad out of 30+ dirbikes. He was amazed on how badly I was beating on my quad, He was like " If you smash on that thing this hard during a practice I cant amagine how it holds up in a race".

So then I got one of my dads friends to bring me to the open quad practice at joly rogers. He told my dad it wasent realy that dangerous...

So finally I got my dad to go to a race, He kept telling me to take it easy and not push it. This was untill I qualified in 4th pos in the B class (first year racing 4th-5th time on a race track). After that He was all into it. For the main race he was all ready with his camera, telling me to let er rip. But of course I had to let him doun and crashed on the holeshot, that kinda ruined things... But he was still impresed that I caught back up to the field.

as for my mom, she dono I race.:devil:

Ha jk , but she isnt fond of it.

If i did that, he would sell the quad lol Everytime i go with a friend to watch a practice or race he says "dont touch anything there or ill F'in kill ya"

He usually doesnt even tell my mom when i go somewhere to ride.

Next weekend im gonna have him take me to a little easy going track. The biggest jump is a 60' double. Ill practice there once then try to go for the next race.

MX MaNiAc 06
06-17-2006, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
I broke my shoulder and my Dad was going to sell his quad and they were very upset. I just took a year off racing let me self heal and let the drama ride its self out. Now my whole family is into racing. Just be careful even if it isn't you fault. I had to gain there respect by not wrecking. I look at things twice now. Also try to practice when there isn't any dirt bikers on the track. I hate them too since I am not the best MXer around. they fly 2 foot from me when they know I am not going to triple a jump.

Theres been a couple times im riding over the landing for the triple n some dumbass lands right next to me. But we dont matter. How dare us fourwheelers slow his lap time down by 2 seconds in practice :huh

xtremefullbore
06-17-2006, 11:11 PM
my dad was kinda ify bout it and when I raced my 5th race or so I flipped around a turn a few times and he was so mad cuz I had like 1,000 dollars in damage and he made me quit racin, but I still go hang out with freinds and ride and go to atv parks..

MX MaNiAc 06
06-18-2006, 10:55 AM
Wow, what did u break?

A A R O N
06-18-2006, 06:30 PM
First race i went to.....My mom was out of the country:D I figured that would keep her off my back for a little bit lol. I just told my dad i was going and took off. Since i built the quad myself with my own money he didn't mind too much. Then when my mom came home i showed her the 4th place plaque (sp?) and she realized that she's not gonna get me out of it without a fight. She just tells me that she's not taking care of me if i'm stuck in a wheelchair for the rest of my life :o

wvspeedfreak
06-18-2006, 07:05 PM
As a parent who is just getting there kid involved in racing I can certainly relate to some of your parents concerns.The main reason they object to you racing is for the plain and simple fact that they care about you and don't want to see you get hurt.That is human nature for any decent parent.If the parent was never in to quads or bikes it is even harder because they can't relate to your desire to ride/race.The way I look at it is you can get hurt doing just about anything...riding a bike,playing little league,pretty much anything.What you need to do is prove to your parents that you can respect the machine that you ride and wear all the typical safety gear and last but not least,sit down with your parents and talk about why you want to ride/race and let them know you would like them to be a part of it.Whenever we go to a track or trail we do it as a family and I believe we have become closer because of it.

MX MaNiAc 06
06-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
As a parent who is just getting there kid involved in racing I can certainly relate to some of your parents concerns.The main reason they object to you racing is for the plain and simple fact that they care about you and don't want to see you get hurt.That is human nature for any decent parent.If the parent was never in to quads or bikes it is even harder because they can't relate to your desire to ride/race.The way I look at it is you can get hurt doing just about anything...riding a bike,playing little league,pretty much anything.What you need to do is prove to your parents that you can respect the machine that you ride and wear all the typical safety gear and last but not least,sit down with your parents and talk about why you want to ride/race and let them know you would like them to be a part of it.Whenever we go to a track or trail we do it as a family and I believe we have become closer because of it.

When i was laying on the track waiting for the ambulance one of the flaggers said "well kid u arent wearing the right type of boots, if i would of known u had these on u wouldnt be riding". Of course he just said that cuz he knew the whole thing was kind of his fault. But my dad was like "well we know what ur getting for christmas"

So ive got all the gear. All i really need to race is more experience riding with other ppl on the track. Which will make it much safer being on the track with careless ppl on bikes.

MX MaNiAc 06
06-18-2006, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by 450robot
just sit down with him when he seems calm, and explain to him that this is what you love, and want to do, that any sport, or anything for that matter nowadays is at risk for injury, and that with all the proper riding gear, you will be safe from most injuries

say that you know your new to racing, and you will take it easy and practice to work your way up to skill

and other encoraging things along that line

He actually knows that. When i was about 10 i used to do barrel racing on horses. I never really liked it but i had to do it to spend the week at the fair.

My dad was the gateman at the fair. Some ladys horse went wild n threw her. It was running around the ring going crazy n my dad turned around n moved 2 kids out of the way of the gate. As soon as he turned back around the horse rammed the gate n ran him over. The gate hit him in the face n broke pretty much every bone in his face. Actually he was in similar condition to Rothlesberger.

After that we didnt go to the fair anymore n sold most of the horses. He says racing MX is safer than horses cuz u have control of what ur riding.