PDA

View Full Version : best airfilter set up

waycott_259
06-17-2006, 07:26 PM
i was wonderin if a uni air flilter and a k&n power lid is alot betetr than a stock set up? will i notice more power and is that going to let in exrta dirt or less?

ryanh250ex
06-17-2006, 07:55 PM
just ditch the lid.

with frequent cleaning and re-oiling you'll be fine in terms of dirt.

i am currently running no airbox and a UNI filter.

GPracer2500
06-17-2006, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by ryanh250ex
....no airbox and a UNI filter.

That's the settup I like too.

04TRX400EX
06-18-2006, 12:03 AM
I like K&N with an Outerwears. Good air flow and the Outerwears helps prolong cleaning intervals and keeps out dirt and water.

06-18-2006, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by ryanh250ex
just ditch the lid.

with frequent cleaning and re-oiling you'll be fine in terms of dirt.

i am currently running no airbox and a UNI filter.

i was doing that but when i wash my 4 wheeler i have to dry the filter :mad:

GPracer2500
06-18-2006, 06:37 PM
Whoops. I may have missread....

What I ment to say is I run and like no airbox LID and a UNI.

xtullyx16
06-18-2006, 09:29 PM
why not k'n?

GPracer2500
06-18-2006, 09:57 PM
In my experience, K&Ns let too much dust through. Foam filters don't have that reputation.

I mostly ride in dusty conditions (dunes and AZ desert) and didn't have good luck with K&N. I used one for several years. When I tore my engine down there were tell-tail signs of particulates getting sucked through. I serviced my K&N after every ride (even when it looked fine) and used an Outerwears. 98% of that time I ran an airbox lid with maybe 15 of these little UNI filter plugs in the lid:

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Images%20JPG/UNI_FILTER_VENTS.JPG

When my machinist (who has a lot of experience with desert machines--he races Baja and can even be seen in Dust To Glory) looked at my cylinder and intake valves the first thing he asked was, "do you run a K&N?"

If I hadn't took my engine apart for reasons unrelated to the wear that was found inside, I may never have known [shrug]. The engine still ran well and made good power but there was preventable wear taking place nonetheless.

I wouldn't necessarily have a problem running a K&N in non-dusty conditions (especially if I didn't expect my cylinder and intake valves to last 20 years) but just assume run a UNI regardless. I'd run a K&N on a street motorcycle without hesitation.

Opinions vary widely on gauze vs. foam filters. I just know what my experience has been....so that's my $0.02.

250r4life
06-18-2006, 11:55 PM
where about in AZ are you?

i personally prefer the K&N over the UNI for various reasons... JMO...but my set up is a K&N with an outerwear, and i run no lid but i also run an airbox lid outerwear... the set up is great... anything that gets to my filter has to pass through two outwerwears, and i am meticulous about servicing my filters and swap them out each day down at the dunes...

ryanh250ex
06-19-2006, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Kickstarts_Suck

put a ziploc over the filter stoopid :rolleyes:

I have never had a problem with any of my uni filters. Sure you could run a K&N, but then you have to worry about sucking up dust...and then you can run a Outerwear, but for less money and same if not better airflow, why not just run foam?

as i understand it the K&N's are better for the dunes, although they suck at filtering dust.

on my 4x4 Jeep i also run a 11" UNI cone filter.

ohsobad_chevy
06-19-2006, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Kickstarts_Suck
Keep the lid and put it back on when you want to wash it.;)

GPracer2500
06-19-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by 250r4life
where about in AZ are you?...

I'm right around the corner in Chandler.

250r4life
06-19-2006, 03:06 PM
right on... which dunes you usually hit up? gordons, buttercup, or glamis?

also, where do you usually ride at? i hit up the dunes, butcher jones, sycamore creek, and four peaks, and et motopark, but other than that i dont know a whole lot of other places to ride... am always looking for new spots- you know of any?

as for the air filters, one of the things i like about the K&N is it is a lot less mess than the UNI. the UNI is a pain in the butt to clean, and its messy to put on with the oil and everything...

in regards to dusty conditions, when its way dusty i usually go by myself so i dont have to worry about eating dust, and it there are others, im usually in the lead... other than that the tracks are usually watered down, and me and a few buddies always go out after a good rain storm, which doesnt happen too often since i live in AZ...