PDA

View Full Version : 400 ex axle help

mxcdemon
06-17-2006, 05:31 PM
Hello,
I have an 02 400 ex. Im trying to change the carrier bearings out. The only thing i cant get off is the thing that holds the rear brake rotor on ( im not sure what its called). The two nuts, and the pin have been removed. I have beat unmersably on everything and have successfully broken my brake disc off of the metal thing attatched to the axle, but i still cant get that thing off my axle. Ive gone though bout a can of wd 40. Is there another way besides cutting it?

hpinitromt
06-17-2006, 05:58 PM
what part in this picture are you talking about?

mxcdemon
06-17-2006, 05:58 PM
Number 3 its the brake hub.
Actually number 3 and 4 i need off.

Sjorge450R
06-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by mxcdemon
Number 3 its the brake hub.
Actually number 3 and 4 i need off.

take the disc off and beat it off. Or try driving the axle out from the righ to left side by putting a piece of wood on the right end of the axle and hammer it threw. Just make sure everything else is off.

mxcdemon
06-17-2006, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
take the disc off and beat it off. Or try driving the axle out from the righ to left side by putting a piece of wood on the right end of the axle and hammer it threw. Just make sure everything else is off.

Disc is officailly off, Im in need of a new number 3 because of my method of getting the disc off......

250rmike
06-17-2006, 07:16 PM
get some good penatrating lube let it sit them hit it with a rubber mallet. you dont want to bend it or else the brake rotor wont fit correctly. make sure you spray on both side. some pdq or maybe wd-40 should do the trick

mxcdemon
06-17-2006, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by 250rmike
get some good penatrating lube let it sit them hit it with a rubber mallet. you dont want to bend it or else the brake rotor wont fit correctly. make sure you spray on both side. some pdq or maybe wd-40 should do the trick

Yeah, well there is four places where the bolts bolt to the brake hub to hold on the disc. Pursy the pursuader ( my adnormally large and heavy hammer) broke them off in four places. I need a new hub all i want to do is get the old one off. Ive used industrial p-7 and wd 40..... I was thinking someone else might know of a better way cause its rusted on there pretty good.

Aceman
06-17-2006, 10:50 PM
Holy crap, you've opened a can of worms now. I can't believe you actually broke the 4 tabs off the disc brake hub. If it was me, I would use some heat and some more wd-40, pb blaster, whatever on it. An acetylene torch would be best, I'd get the hub red hot and then beat the hub off the axle.

**EDIT** I forgot to mention, since this quad is fairly beat on and pretty rusty, you should check out your swinger bearings where the pivot bolt goes through. Pretty good chance those are toast and now would be the ideal time to replace them while you're tearing your swinger apart.

06-18-2006, 08:39 AM
did you take #11 off? that needs to come off before the collar and the hub...

mxcdemon
06-18-2006, 04:59 PM
Thank you,
ill post pics of everything i broke in the process later tonite.... :D

250rmike
06-18-2006, 05:43 PM
wow umm beat on it maybe heat it up. worst comes to worst you will have to cut the axle or the hub. good luck to ya i have never had that problem

mxcdemon
06-18-2006, 06:19 PM
well got my axle off i now need a new # 4, 3, 5 and 12 though :D

I had to cut the threads off with a grinder, and i tried doing the same with the brake hub. We ended up braking the brake hub and then i was able to pull the axle out. With a hydrolic press I pressed about 15lbs of pressure before the brake hub came off. It was on there. Heres the aftermath.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/crdemon/06_18_3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/crdemon/06_18_6.jpg

JOEX
06-18-2006, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by mxcdemon
well got my axle off i now need a new # 4, 3, 5 and 12 though :D

I had to cut the threads off with a grinder, and i tried doing the same with the brake hub. We ended up braking the brake hub and then i was able to pull the axle out. With a hydrolic press I pressed about 15lbs of pressure before the brake hub came off. It was on there. Heres the aftermath.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/crdemon/06_18_3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/crdemon/06_18_6.jpg
Dang! Most people have trouble getting the lock nut off:p Do you know your carrier is aftermarket?

I recommend replacing #9 & #10 with a pinch bolt type lock nut:)

hpinitromt
06-18-2006, 11:49 PM
dude, ur awesome!
this reminds me of something my father always says.....
"if all else fails, hit it with hammer!!"
you just used a really,really big hammer

Sjorge450R
06-19-2006, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by hpinitromt
dude, ur awesome!
this reminds me of something my father always says.....
"if all else fails, hit it with hammer!!"
you just used a really,really big hammer

look. The hammer is almost bigger than the brake rotor:eek:

JW450R1
06-19-2006, 05:16 AM
sometimes i take a longer punch and tapp on the rear rotor hub assembly.little bit at a time then spin it all the way around.u need a rear axle lock nut,maybe try a anti-fade nut.is that a after market carrier?.lube everthing up for next time:p