View Full Version : Can Someone Help Me Out??!!??!!

sheepdogg09
06-17-2006, 09:51 AM
Hey. Heres my situation i have a 2001 400ex and its a "Family Quad" but i mostly ride it (like 85% of the time im on it). Now i was wandering I want to put some money into it but my dad says no. :mad: So i was wandering what are some of the best upgrades for power and performance. I mostly trail ride but i do have a few jumps that hit around my house. So if someone can help me out my quad is all stock.

Thanks Alot. Any help would be appreciated!

Choppers
06-17-2006, 09:58 AM
get anew air filter and a good exhaust.

krt400ex
06-17-2006, 11:51 AM
an advance timing key is $20 from sparks racing. it will give u more bottom and mid and ur dad will never know unless he rides it.

miller821
06-17-2006, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Choppers
get anew air filter and a good exhaust.
Definitely grab a new air filter and exhaust and that will help it out, but you dad will notice that... You could go with a 14 tooth sprocket and get better bottom end, and I doubt he would notice that unless he rides it a lot.

sheepdogg09
06-17-2006, 01:43 PM
I was thinkin a new exhaust. but dont you have to rejet. is rejetting hard? and what exhaust should i buy? slip on or full system? give me name brands of what you guys think is good. THANKS ALOT!!

miller821
06-17-2006, 01:46 PM
HMF,Sparks, and White brothers, are the 3 that I would choose from. You don't have to rejet on the WB (Though I recommend it), and i'm not sure about the other two. Its really not hard to rejet though.

tar
06-17-2006, 01:51 PM
Yes you will need to rejet your carb no it's not hard( if you're just replacing the main jet all you have to do is turn your gas off take a 14mm wrench and loosen the nut on the bottom of the carb then the main jet is right there take that jet out and put a bigger one in) and get a Curtis Sparks exhaust.

400exMO
06-17-2006, 02:03 PM
I know this isn't power, but nerfbars.

nosliw
06-17-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by 400exMO
I know this isn't power, but nerfbars.

good idea. safety and protection first.

good skids
good nerfs
good bumper
ect

THEN suspension

THEN power

you'd be amazed how much faster you can go with a good suspension setup

Choppers
06-17-2006, 03:30 PM
yea you will have to rejet. i would get a K&N air filter and get a yoshimura full exhaust. you will be movin then.

04TRX400EX
06-17-2006, 11:56 PM
I'm pretty sure that if his dad doesn't want him to do anything to it, he is going to notice the $1000+ suspension upgrades.

I would say that honestly, if it is a "family quad" and it needs to be friendly for everyone, a good slip-on exhaust and a high-flow air filter (UNI or K&N) will be cost-effective upgrades that won't change the entire demeanor of the quad. As far as exhausts go, check into how loud they are versus others, cause for example, my dad doesn't like riding my quad cause he thinks my exhaust is too loud ... and I have a fairly quiet exhaust compared to others! I know that Curtis Sparks exhausts are one of the loudest ones out there. Loud pipes can be obnoxious, if not to you, than probably to your dad or the rest of the family.

06-18-2006, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by nosliw
good idea. safety and protection first.

good skids
good nerfs
good bumper
ect

THEN suspension

THEN power

you'd be amazed how much faster you can go with a good suspension setup

what he said...

for what he does, elka rec sereis with no resi and a gt thuner rear link and revalve would not be noticable appearance wise if shock cover were put on...

sheepdogg09
06-18-2006, 08:38 PM
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!

The only problem i have is suspension...its soooo expensive..and i mean i dont have that much money..and does suspension really make that big of a difference???:confused: :confused: :confused:

And also to let u guys kno my dad dont care how it looks he juss dont want me to do anything too it...either way..hes gonna kno im getting sumthing for it...so like i cant hide it..lol juss to let u guys kno...

And i have like most protection the only protection i dont have is nerf bars
:)

krt400ex
06-18-2006, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by sheepdogg09
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!

The only problem i have is suspension...its soooo expensive..and i mean i dont have that much money..and does suspension really make that big of a difference???:confused: :confused: :confused:

And also to let u guys kno my dad dont care how it looks he juss dont want me to do anything too it...either way..hes gonna kno im getting sumthing for it...so like i cant hide it..lol juss to let u guys kno...

And i have like most protection the only protection i dont have is nerf bars
:)

yes, but fu u r on a budget then u could get some used 450r shocks. they take some slight modification to mount them but ur bike will handle better

sheepdogg09
06-18-2006, 09:07 PM
I was wandering say i get shocks..where is the best site...to buy thats pretty cheap and should i get back or front shocks first?

nosliw
06-18-2006, 09:12 PM
fronts first. rear is decent for stock, but can be sent off to make better

exrider49
06-19-2006, 08:48 AM
get a hmf slip-on and out a quiet core in it and get nerf bars, 450r front shocks, k&n air filter, and get sum good tires like razr mx's or holeshot mx's all the way around

06-19-2006, 09:20 AM
the rear linkage is horrible...have that revalved first if you can...i know where there is a used gt thunder linkage for sale at a good price...the only problem would be to have the rear shock off the bike for a few weeks to have gt thunder revalve it for you...i'll pm you the link...