PDA

View Full Version : What gas

patches85
06-17-2006, 08:44 AM
Ok I went to buy some gas the other day. I asked what they had and they said only sunoco products. So I ask what the highest octane is and they say like 108. I ask for a couple of gallons and the guy asks me if its for a two or four stroke. I say four. He says I can't run it in a four stroke cause its got lead in it. So I ask what he suggests and he says GT+4. It's 104 octane. So I get that and mix it half and half with with 93 octane. Bike runs great. My question is why can't I run the higher octane stuff? Sorry about the ranbling on but this guy at the race shop is kind of a jackass and I would love to make him look stupid.

orangeEX
06-17-2006, 09:07 AM
hes a dummy i used to run c-12 half n half and its a leaded fuel also. call vp racing and talk to a tech an they will tell u exactly what you can or can't run

hope that helps!

GPracer2500
06-17-2006, 11:49 AM
Leaded fuels aren't compatable with catalytic converters or oxygen sensors. As long as an engine doesn't have those, it will like leaded fuel.

There are some fuels in which the manufacture specifically markets them towards two strokes or four strokes--but it has nothing to do with the fuel being leaded or not.

BTW, I took a look at Sunoco's race fuel offerings and didn't see any fuel that had a 108 octane rating (RON, MON, or R+M/2). Sounds like the guy at the shop is clueless.

patches85
06-17-2006, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Leaded fuels aren't compatable with catalytic converters or oxygen sensors. As long as an engine doesn't have those, it will like leaded fuel.

There are some fuels in which the manufacture specifically markets them towards two strokes or four strokes--but it has nothing to do with the fuel being leaded or not.

BTW, I took a look at Sunoco's race fuel offerings and didn't see any fuel that had a 108 octane rating (RON, MON, or R+M/2). Sounds like the guy at the shop is clueless.

Thanx I think the cam 2 was 108??!!

GPracer2500
06-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by patches85
Thanx I think the cam 2 was 108??!!

Cam 2 is an alternate name that Sunoco uses for their racing fuels when they can't use the Sunoco brand name (e.g. like when a Chevron gas station sells Sunoco race fuels). There isn't one fuel that's called Cam 2--it's a brand name just like Sunoco. And it's the exact same fuel.

jdboy
06-18-2006, 05:51 AM
Sunoco Super Blue used to be 108 now it's 112. I had bought it as the 108 for several years when I was drag racing (10 years ago). I went to the station the other day and noticed that the rating had went up to 112 so I asked when I went in if they had changed fuel. The clerk told me that it was still Super Blue but the octane rating had been raised. I'm not really sure how long ago the change was made as I hadn't needed any race fuel in the last 8 years or so.