PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever dropped a circlip down in the motor on 450r?

leager440
06-16-2006, 06:41 PM
You guessed it, I'm in the middle of my rebuild, I was prying a circlip out and it just sort of popped out, I can't find it anywhere on my garage floor, I didn't really see where it went, but sure looked like it headed down in the motor. I had a towel and everything covering it up, but I think I heard it fall down in there. It was on the timing chain side. I've look down by the crank and don't see anything, it's a little tougher to see down where the timing chain is, but I don't see anything. I sure hate to put this motor back together not knowing! Anyone have a good idea on how to get it out if it is in there, or how to even find out if it's in there, without splitting the cases that is! Thanks,

GPracer2500
06-16-2006, 06:45 PM
Can you get to where you think it fell by taking the timing-chain-side crankcase cover off?

I dropped a washer in my 400EX once and it fell down where the timing chain is. I took the cover off and was able to get it.

Other options are magnets (tough but maybe you'll get lucky) and removing the engine and turning the whole thing upsidedown.

leager440
06-16-2006, 07:00 PM
See, that's what I was wondering about. I just put a new stator in a few weeks ago and can't remember if the timing chain is accessable from there. Could I see the bottom of the timing chain by pulling that side cover off or do I have to split the cases?

GPracer2500
06-16-2006, 07:09 PM
Not quite sure on a 450r--I'm sure someone around here knows.

Kansas T
06-17-2006, 08:33 PM
I did that once. A magnet works great.

wanta450
06-18-2006, 10:21 AM
it could be stuck to the magnet on your stator or flywheel:rolleyes:

leager440
06-18-2006, 03:26 PM
So you are saying that if something were to fall down into the timing chain hole, that it would be accessible through the left side cover, right?