PDA

View Full Version : alarm for quad???take a look

stoled_400_:(
06-16-2006, 05:35 PM
hey, anybody out there with any alarm system experience or ideas?? i've been looking into getting another quad, but my dad says its not gonna happen unless we can do something to make it harder to get at....it will be in a shed with a regular size door in front, then on the side double doors about 55in wide...any ideas?? anything would be helpful. thanks

06-16-2006, 05:39 PM
1. Get a dog.
2. Always make sure the doors are locked.
3. Have gun in an easy spot so when you hear someone breaking in, you can grab it.
4. Make sure the dog is REALLY big.
5. Chain your 4-wheeler to something that won't move, and put the chain around the frame and anything else you don't want stolen off your quad.

Honda400exrox
06-16-2006, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by MrMan
1. Get a dog.
3. Have gun in an easy spot so when you hear someone breaking in, you can grab it.
5. Chain your 4-wheeler to something that won't move, and put the chain around the frame and anything else you don't want stolen off your quad.

what he said, if you get a dog that makes alot of noise, like my pitbull, he has the most terryfing bark ive ever heard lol
the theives will be deterred because a dog barking at your garage draws attention to it, also the gun idea is good cause if you go out with a gun theives will most likely chit themselves

06-16-2006, 05:51 PM
ok.
1. i have a dog.
2. the door was locked the first time it happened.
3. my dad can't stand guns.
4. She weighs over a hundred pounds.
5. Already planning on that, but i'm wondering about the possibility of an alarm too.

btw my dog is quite ineffective...shes a bernese mountain dog, and shes the nicest thing on the planet. and stupidest.

06-16-2006, 05:53 PM
if all else fails, keep a grenade on you at all times. That'll teach 'em.

06-16-2006, 05:56 PM
haha yeah. with my luck they'd run away, i'd toss it, it would roll into the shed, and bye bye nice new quad. just in case anyone suggests it, as far as i know, MA is the only state that you can't get atv insurance... :ermm:

nosliw
06-16-2006, 06:03 PM
i've shot in the air a few times when i'm out in our house in the country and i hear sounds by my quads. sounds usually stop.

.338's are LOUD

quads14589
06-16-2006, 06:08 PM
where do u live?

06-16-2006, 06:09 PM
Just buy a metal door knob and positive and a negative wire and a car battery then hook one side of the wire to the door knob and one side to the battery.
When you want to get your quad out just pull the wire off the door knob “Grab where the rubber is on the wire”
Just something I had on my shed:D

06-16-2006, 06:15 PM
i live in massachusetts.. and jason, wouldn't a thief just be able to move the wire just as easily though?? maybe i don't entirely understand the concept ??:confused:

nosliw
06-16-2006, 06:27 PM
they could, i just think they don't because they know a yamaha is behind it

;)

you know you had something coming with that quote in your sig...

nosliw
06-16-2006, 06:28 PM
oh, and a friend of mine wired up his old musclecar like that. if you touch it, you get zapped. bottom line is that a cop friend of ours advised against it. if some douche with a pacemaker gets killed then you can be sued to high heavens

06-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by stoled_400_:(
i live in massachusetts.. and jason, wouldn't a thief just be able to move the wire just as easily though?? maybe i don't entirely understand the concept ??:confused:

So if anybody tries to open the door, the door knob will give them a shock and they will fall to the ground and be unconscious for about 10 minutes. The robbers will not know about the wire so they will get shocked by the door knob.

06-16-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by nosliw
oh, and a friend of mine wired up his old musclecar like that. if you touch it, you get zapped. bottom line is that a cop friend of ours advised against it. if some douche with a pacemaker gets killed then you can be sued to high heavens
That’s why you put a danger sign on your shed that says “Say Back Within 25FT“.

Honda400exrox
06-16-2006, 07:40 PM
i've shot in the air a few times when i'm out in our house in the country and i hear sounds by my quads. sounds usually stop.

.338's are LOUD

ya cause thats really smart, firing a gun of that caliber in the air randomly:rolleyes:

the bullet has to land somewhere, what if it hits someones house and kills one of the residents?:huh

06-16-2006, 07:40 PM
they could, i just think they don't because they know a yamaha is behind it

;)

you know you had something coming with that quote in your sig...
Who are you talken too??

Honda400exrox
06-16-2006, 07:45 PM

.338's are LOUD

ya cause thats really smart, firing a gun of that caliber in the air randomly:rolleyes:

the bullet has to land somewhere, what if it hits someones house and kills one of the residents?:huh

just nut up and go out and take a look around your shed

06-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Jason#19
Who are you talken too??

lol i think he was talking to you...

but anyways...any body have ideas for alarms that i could install? i mean, not guns or big dogs and all that... an ALARM. like whether or not theres a way to have something go off in my room if the quad gets moved, or my cell phone, or whatever. anyone got any ideas on how to make something more along those lines work?

nosliw
06-16-2006, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Honda400exrox

just nut up and go out and take a look around your shed

well i never thought of it that way.......

i guess they are **** out of luck :D

no i know, i thought about it, and it's not a problem this place is on 40+ acres in rural Mason county.

why nut up when i have a big gun? get with the times man!
;)

jason yeah i was poking fun at your sig quote, just messing with you man

06-16-2006, 10:02 PM
yeah actually i think they did that on mythbusters before... about shooting a gun in the air. but thats irrelevant cuz i don't remember what the conclusion was. haha, i dno't own/have access to a gun, so thats not happening for me anyways

Honda400exrox
06-16-2006, 10:29 PM
yeah actually i think they did that on mythbusters before... about shooting a gun in the air. but thats irrelevant cuz i don't remember what the conclusion was. haha, i dno't own/have access to a gun, so thats not happening for me anyways

we have a motion sensor in our shed and to get to the quads you have to walk by it, and when something sets it off there is a speaker that makes a loud ding dong noise in the house beside my parents bed and it is always on

06-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Instead of hooking the wires to the doorknob, hook the wires up to the frame. The current should be able to flow all the way to the bumper, handlebars, and wheelie bar. And that'd eliminate someone pushing it out. Thieves usually won't think about bringing rubber gloves, or a rope to pull with.

400exc
06-17-2006, 06:53 AM
the problem with hooking it to the quad is, what if the have rubber boots or something, then if they sit on the quad, they wont get shocked because the grips on the handlebars are rubber, and his boots are rubber and then he can roll it on out.

06-17-2006, 07:00 AM
daym, this is complicated. honda400exrox, does the sensor get set off alot by like squirrels or other animals that are always running around anyways? or is it at a certain height so that it doesnt do that or something?

Honda400exrox
06-17-2006, 11:12 AM
daym, this is complicated. honda400exrox, does the sensor get set off alot by like squirrels or other animals that are always running around anyways? or is it at a certain height so that it doesnt do that or something?

we dont have squirrels or other animals in our shed, we did have a rat that kept setting it off, but a few mouse traps took care of him lol

06-17-2006, 11:39 AM
ohhh i see... sorry i read it wrong the first time, i thought you had it outside the shed. i get it now lol:rolleyes: alright, whos got other ideas?

06-19-2006, 07:07 AM
felt the need to bump it

sickmojave
06-19-2006, 08:13 AM
Maybe you just need a bigger lock..:devil:

http://www.recordholders.org/images/padlock/padlock5.jpg

06-19-2006, 08:26 AM
haha that would be sweet

ShiftFMX
06-19-2006, 08:51 AM
I park my truck in front of the barn door where the quads are!

06-20-2006, 11:54 AM
yeah, but that (i think) would get to be a pain in the *** and also what if i'm not home??

coolex
06-20-2006, 11:58 AM
is the shed out side if so put it next to a tree cut a 2 holes int eh side of shed feed chain threw a hole around tree on other whole and around the quads from. then lokk the doors

06-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Anything you can do to deter or make them take time to steal it; get a dog, or at least a sign that say's beware of dog, or a sign that states cameras or alarms in use. Chain to some thing - any thing. "Time plays against them." The driveway sensor alarms that someone mentioned before can be mounted virtually anywhere and work well. Also I believe there is something called "Lo-Jack" that you can hide and it is used for tracking. Motion sensor lights are also a good idea.

P.S. Just always remember - the thief does not want to be seen or heard and wants out as fast as he can. So if you do a few of these, you're sure to win! :D

BossmanEX
06-20-2006, 12:32 PM
Check this out. It would be easy to dis-arm if you knew it was there but by the time a thief realizes its there it has already scared the shizz out of them and if they were smart they would have ran.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STOP-THIEF-400EX-Z400-YZF450-Raptor-ATV-ALARM-DUNES_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43972QQitemZ46522 32483QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

coolex
06-20-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by BossmanEX
Check this out. It would be easy to dis-arm if you knew it was there but by the time a thief realizes its there it has already scared the shizz out of them and if they were smart they would have ran.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STOP-THIEF-400EX-Z400-YZF450-Raptor-ATV-ALARM-DUNES_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43972QQitemZ46522 32483QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

link no work what is the item #

06-20-2006, 06:24 PM
get like 3 weatherproof webcams and have one of those adapters so you can see each camera on 1 screen (have the screen split up into 4 blocks, and the 4th have current time and date) and have in a 24 hour vcr (you can buy them at like bestbuy or something i think) and every day at a certain time like 5pm, restart it and have it start recording for another 24 hours. if you are really into it, have a generator hooked up so if they are desperate enough to get it that they cut your power, the cameras will keep going.

have 1 camera in your driveway so you can see any vehicles (pointed from end of driveway to road)

and have lots of lights so everything is well lite.

it will cost a few hundred dollars (like under $400 or so i believe) but it will save you your quad. and all that stuff that they will most likely see... im sure they will just say screw it.

Sjorge450R
06-20-2006, 07:03 PM
take a shock off. Two bolts and its off. Last time I checked, people dont carry around shocks when they are going to steal a quad.....:blah:

06-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
take a shock off. Two bolts and its off. Last time I checked, people dont carry around shocks when they are going to steal a quad.....:blah:

Dude, I keep a shock in my pocket at all times. :eek2:

Mxjunkie
06-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Get a doberman, 6'1 250 pound dad and u can leave your quad outside if you wanted..

It work's.:devil:

06-20-2006, 07:27 PM
@ shock idea...

if they try and push it, and it puts up a bit of a fight and doesnt move easily, im sure that wont stop them if they get that far :P

06-20-2006, 07:34 PM
yeah i've been thinking about the cameras idea, only i know i would either get sick of or just forget to reset the vcr daily... isn't there another thing other than a vcr thats not crazily expensive but records a good amount more than 24 hrs?

coolex
06-20-2006, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
Get a doberman, 6'1 250 pound dad and u can leave your quad outside if you wanted..

It work's.:devil:

same thing but i swithc the doberman with a german shepard

Sjorge450R
06-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Crath
@ shock idea...

if they try and push it, and it puts up a bit of a fight and doesnt move easily, im sure that wont stop them if they get that far :P

I know that your not getting my quad out of the shed with a shock off. If you do, it still wont be able to push it, cause my tire goes into my plastic

06-20-2006, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by coolex
same thing but i swithc the doberman with a german shepard

lol ...check out the first page of the thread to see my dumbash watchdog.... :rolleyes: :ermm:

HondaEXrider22
06-20-2006, 07:53 PM
I lock my quads together, in a locked garage, with motion lights on it, with my car parked directly in front of the door.

06-20-2006, 08:05 PM
i've only got one quad, in a locked shed, but in a yard, so i doubt dad would be happy with me parking there every day :p

nickmelll
06-20-2006, 08:08 PM
im glad i dont have to worry bout theives. i can leave my quad in the front yard and it be fine

06-20-2006, 08:11 PM
that's what you'd like to think.... i thought i could leave my first 400 in the locked shed and have it be fine...i learned the hard way. your quad is fine unlocked in the frontyard.....until a thief happens to wander by, and bye bye quad. you don't appreciate what cha got til its gone. ;)

BossmanEX
06-20-2006, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by coolex
link no work what is the item #

Sorry, the Item number is 4652232483. And for all those who say et a dog, its no good when the dog barks if youre not there to hear it. I have 4 pits and theyre rowdy as al hell but 3 1/2 years ago I had my 400 stolen the day my wife was giving birth to our son. Someone came in the yard and pushed it out from behind my porch and even stole the tarp. The best thing is to have a good structure to lock them up in. A garage, shop etc. Garden sheds seem to be too easy to get into. Maybe if they were on a concrete floor with u bolts in the floor to hook a chain to.

nickmelll
06-20-2006, 11:06 PM
that's what you'd like to think.... i thought i could leave my first 400 in the locked shed and have it be fine...i learned the hard way. your quad is fine unlocked in the frontyard.....until a thief happens to wander by, and bye bye quad. you don't appreciate what cha got til its gone. ;)

well i have a good dog so we'll know if some ones here plus many guns:blah:

06-21-2006, 04:39 AM
oh ok, lol it sounded before like there was nothing to stop a thief....but guns work prett well :devil:

300exrider99
06-21-2006, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Jason#19
Just buy a metal door knob and positive and a negative wire and a car battery then hook one side of the wire to the door knob and one side to the battery.
When you want to get your quad out just pull the wire off the door knob “Grab where the rubber is on the wire”
Just something I had on my shed:D

I call BS, if you hook both terminals of a car batery to a metal door knob you arn't gonna do anything except cause a direct short that will melt one of the wires (copper and all) and maybe make a lot of sparks for a short period of time. :rolleyes:

Aceman
06-21-2006, 08:55 PM
^^I agree. Why don't you test out your useless theories at home before recommending them. Direct shorted doorknob:rolleyes: By the way when was the last time you were shocked by a 12v car battery:rolleyes: NEVER!!

Here's something I found. I would think a cable lock that uses an integrated lock as opposed to a regular shackle type masterlock would be harder to break. Unless these thieves are locksmiths as well.:o Here's something I found.
http://www.atvconnection.com/atvconnection/Departments/Dunes/locks.cfm

06-21-2006, 09:07 PM
do you have a air tank that you could use? get a old truck air horn, sit it like, inside on a top shelf facing out, but so they cant see it and have a fishing string hooked somewhere that they wont notice it, like a eye hook directly under the quad so have it hook to the chain, threw the eye hook like into the floor, then over to a switch (all in a hidden box) have the switch on a spring so there MUST be pressure on the fishing line or it will turn it on.

so when you dont defuse the switch, the air horn will go off (prob make them def) and they wont have any idea where it is or how to turn it off.

and you can have a wire running to your house, or a wireless transmitter (cheap) to send a signle into your house to flash your room's lights, or put off the doorbell alot or some horn in there as well xD

that seems flawless (just dont tell anybody how it works, and even have like 2 fishing lines hooked up.

just put normal fishing hooks on the lines, and hook to your skid plate even, whatever.

and just to defuse, have a secret spot where you move something and see a key hole where you place a key (or normal finger switch) and defuse the (alarm)

just check your air tank and even trip it on purpase just to make sure its working.

the line will be so small, im sure they wont notice it.

i think that would work just fine :P

Iliketogofast
06-21-2006, 09:16 PM
Cameras, NO VCRS. Use a digital recorder. It deletes everything from about a week past as it records the new, and keeps moving in that cycle until it resets itself. Just don't make it obvious that you have cams, or they will look for wires to cut. You'll need some outside too - I would want a liscense plate if I were you.

There is also an alarm that trips when someone enters your driveway. You could put it a little further up to make sure people turning around don't trip it, and voila.

Iliketogofast
06-21-2006, 09:16 PM
do you have a air tank that you could use? get a old truck air horn, sit it like, inside on a top shelf facing out, but so they cant see it and have a fishing string hooked somewhere that they wont notice it, like a eye hook directly under the quad so have it hook to the chain, threw the eye hook like into the floor, then over to a switch (all in a hidden box) have the switch on a spring so there MUST be pressure on the fishing line or it will turn it on.

so when you dont defuse the switch, the air horn will go off (prob make them def) and they wont have any idea where it is or how to turn it off.

and you can have a wire running to your house, or a wireless transmitter (cheap) to send a signle into your house to flash your room's lights, or put off the doorbell alot or some horn in there as well xD

that seems flawless (just dont tell anybody how it works, and even have like 2 fishing lines hooked up.

just put normal fishing hooks on the lines, and hook to your skid plate even, whatever.

and just to defuse, have a secret spot where you move something and see a key hole where you place a key (or normal finger switch) and defuse the (alarm)

just check your air tank and even trip it on purpase just to make sure its working.

the line will be so small, im sure they wont notice it.

i think that would work just fine :P

Now, how many times have you seen "Home Alone"?

06-21-2006, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Iliketogofast
Now, how many times have you seen "Home Alone"? which one :D

06-21-2006, 09:23 PM
^^^LOL . home alone is an awesome movie though...and hey, the robbers weren't successful, so it would probably work... :p

Aceman
06-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Iliketogofast
Cameras, NO VCRS. Use a digital recorder. It deletes everything from about a week past as it records the new, and keeps moving in that cycle until it resets itself. Just don't make it obvious that you have cams, or they will look for wires to cut. You'll need some outside too - I would want a liscense plate if I were you.

There is also an alarm that trips when someone enters your driveway. You could put it a little further up to make sure people turning around don't trip it, and voila.

The problem with cameras is they don't prevent people from stealing your quad. They just take pics of them doing it. Personally, I don't want someone holding onto my quad for days parting it on Ebay while the cops are trying to figure out whose faces they're looking at on the tape. What if it's to dark to see their faces? What if the thieves see the cameras and put on masks? What if they park where the license plate can't be read?

06-21-2006, 09:28 PM
well guys, i thought hard on my idea

do you think it would work at least? :(

06-21-2006, 11:47 PM
If you hook up wires to the door knob, wouldn't you have to ground out the negative? It should work though.

06-21-2006, 11:51 PM
1. Hook a chain in the back sprocket and hook it around something sterdy and lock it.
2. Take all the wheels off.
3. Cameras.
4. Insurance.
5. Garage doors that automatically lock when closed.
6. Put bars in your windows (like prison)
7. And a gun. (Once a theif gets caught, show them what it feels like to get bit in the ***.)

06-22-2006, 04:55 PM
massachusetts is ****ing gay and you can't get insurance for quads. its retarded, we're the only state. :grr:

willow2679
06-22-2006, 08:09 PM
Here in argentina thiefs are allways stealing quads on summer specialy
Here are alarms with his own batteries and even lo jack (with batteries that last like 5 years)
If your geeting stolen nothing is going to keep it from happening but you can make things harder for them the lojack device is good one

06-23-2006, 07:29 AM
Here you go:

http://www.xenasecurityusa.com/product/motorbikes/eng/

06-23-2006, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Kyle_TQRA
Here you go:

http://www.xenasecurityusa.com/product/motorbikes/eng/ rofl... $250 for a little chunk piece of steal

06-23-2006, 08:38 AM
rofl... $250 for a little chunk piece of steal

That would be "steel" Einstein, not steal!
The cheaper ones are locks plus have 110DB alarms and are less than $100 bucks!

06-23-2006, 11:14 AM
so wait, for this one is the part where the lock is like a metal base that goes into concrete or something???
http://www.xenasecurityusa.com/product/motorbikes/ChainLock/eng/

organiz3d_chaos
06-23-2006, 12:02 PM
If someone wants to steal it, they'll get it... Lock it up in your shed and put a lojack on it...
http://www.lojack.com/

06-25-2006, 10:02 PM
would lojack not get messed up with mud and all that crap??

Iliketogofast
06-26-2006, 07:15 AM
Probably. Just wrap it in plastic and put it in the airbox.

organiz3d_chaos
06-26-2006, 07:17 AM
That is what I was thinking, wrapping it in plastic.

However Lojack doesn't warranty them on OHV's.

Might look into these
http://www.bikebone.com/page/BBSC/PROD/GPS-Tracking/TrimTrac
http://www.bikebone.com/page/BBSC/PROD/GPS-Tracking/PT1451
http://www.bikebone.com/page/BBSC/PROD/GPS-Tracking/MotoMonitor

Here are some alarms since you asked:
http://www.bikebone.com/page/BBSC/PROD/ATV-Alarm/AG-SPORT-X
http://www.bikebone.com/page/BBSC/PROD/ATV-Alarm/SR-i300

Keep in mind, if your quad has an alarm and you aren't there, they can still take it... An alarm may prevent some, but any determined thief will take it. If theft is really a problem, try to use as many levels of anti-theft that you can 1) afford and 2)deal with.

A GPS, unless the thief notcies it before he leaves you house, will lead you right to him/her.

Zeppelin03
06-26-2006, 08:14 AM
I live in MA and ive never had a huge theft problem...right now they're just in a garage and a i keep a pad lock thru my rear sprocket so it cant role..We're building a shed for them right now and im thinkin of cuttin a hole in the floor and pooring a big cement thing with an I hook in it so i can chain my frame to the ground so it wont be going anywhere..If a theif realy wants to take my parts off and leave the fram all the power too them but they have about a foot of walking space because its a tight fit in the new shed..So my advice is dont go all out with electric crap and just lock everything up tight. Buy heavy duty chains and locks so they are realy hard to cut and i think you'd be ok.

KXRida
06-26-2006, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by MrMan
1. Get a dog.

May I add one more suggestion, if you have a slotted rotor, put a lock through it. I always did that with my dirt bikes. I cabled around the frame, through the wheel, around my dad's quad frame, then to our shed. Plus the disc lock.

willow2679
06-26-2006, 10:45 AM
Lo jack glued the device on a part of your quad (I assume the airbox or gastank and put like a black resin or something that you can´t see anything and is all sealed theres no problem

red2004 TRX450R
06-27-2006, 09:07 AM
http://www.adt.com/resi/

http://www.guardianalarms.net/

AND quad insurance
or home owners insurance if you cant get quad insurance

lock the shed, take the keys out.

and you can get ANY THING insured just have to know where to look!!!!

06-27-2006, 12:09 PM
ok how about this. find a way for me to insure a 400ex/450r/250r etc. in massachusetts, and i'll give you ten bucks. i've got paypal, and i'm serious. i've spent two years trying to figure out how to insure a quad in MA, and as far as i can tell, you can't. because this state absolutely blows. my dad looked over our homeowners insurance policy, and if we claimed a stolen atv on it (again) we'd probably get dropped. so, find me atv insurance in MA and you get yourself ten bucks. :)

organiz3d_chaos
06-27-2006, 12:31 PM
ok how about this. find a way for me to insure a 400ex/450r/250r etc. in massachusetts, and i'll give you ten bucks. i've got paypal, and i'm serious. i've spent two years trying to figure out how to insure a quad in MA, and as far as i can tell, you can't. because this state absolutely blows. my dad looked over our homeowners insurance policy, and if we claimed a stolen atv on it (again) we'd probably get dropped. so, find me atv insurance in MA and you get yourself ten bucks. :)

Try:

KSK Insurance Agency
203 Northampton St.
Easthampton, MA 01027
Phone: (413) 527-7859

Also if you havent tried lately(within a few days) call other insurance agencies in your state again.

red2004 TRX450R
06-27-2006, 12:42 PM

LIKE YOU SAID YOUR HOMER OWNERS COVERD IT THE FIRST TIME RIGHT?
if you have an alarm on the shed and keep it locked and keep the keys out of the quad the insurance company will not drop you. if you think they will get a new agent!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you add the quad to the homeowners policy like you would guns, jewelry, gold, art, antiques. etc to cover more then the minimum and you home owners has to have property and liability just not liability

PS the alarm will lower you insurance premiums too.