PDA

View Full Version : Starter Problem, please help

kc 300EX
08-13-2002, 08:29 PM
ok, this is on my cousins Warrior(junk i know, but try to help anyways)
Last week we were riding through a LOT of water, as in, all day, water skipping, riding up and down this river, water over our wheels, quads floatin, drowning out, being pulled out, the fun stuff.
So anyways, my cousin got water in his airbox a few times, and he had to crank the **** out of his quad to get it to start. Eventually it wouldnt crank anymore, just click. he had this problem before, and we knew it was his starter, so we pop started it a few times, then had to go home. Today he took the starter to a place to be fixed, they said that it over heated from being cranked to much and melted the sottering or something inside it. So my cousin payed some crazy price to get it fixed. Well, now the starter works fine, but it WONT crank the quad over, we dont understand. When we hook up the starter, it turns, it has a gear on it and we can clearly see that i spins, but nothing in the engine turns over, just the starter spinning. We called Yamaha and they siad it was the starter clutch. I have no idea what that is, but its like 200 bucks to fix. My cousin says he doesnt think thats it and Yamaha is full of crap because he took it all apart and everything is fine. Please tell me if he knows what hes talking about? His theory is that the starter is spinning backwards, is that possible??

stocktires
08-13-2002, 10:26 PM
hmmm...
electric motor spinning backwards really fast = fried electric motor.
Its quite possible for an electric motor to spin backwards (i know they can, buy why would it in a quad?), but the reason it would do this i dont really know.
Like on R/C trucks and cars they use ESC with control the amount of electricity to the motor, and it wont let the motor go in reverse for long becasue it will then burn up (cant rememeber wat actually burns up).
I must be some way you re-installed it wrong or something. Because if it made a difference in a new/rebuilt motor that should be your problem.

kc 300EX
08-14-2002, 09:23 PM
hmmm, i dont think it got reinstalled wrong? Its only 2 bolts and one wire to connect. I didnt put it back on, but I really hope my cousin didnt screw that part up too bad. I will tell him to check everything again. Anyone else got any advice?