PDA

View Full Version : Timing chain stretched on 06 Pred

ANDRE VAN WYK
06-16-2006, 11:41 AM
New to this sport or past time.Never had a quad before. Loving it and ride every weekend. Bought a new 06 Pred in November 05. Must admit that I was very happy with my pred until now. 10 days ago i took it to the dealer for a Blingstar bumper to be fitted. Nothing was wrong with my Predat that time. So they told me that my bike is very difficult to start. Had to replace the shims. While they were at it , also discover that the timing chain tensioner is to its max. they said that the chain is also stretched. told me they have to take the head of to look if valves have bend. And, guess what, intake valves bend. Was told that i over rev the bike or with down gearing. So now what I would like to know is.
1. Is this really possible that after 7 months my timing chain could have stretched so much and jump a sprocket tooth to bend the valves.
2. Why would they refuse to cover it under warranty.
3. Have any one else experience this problem

preddymoto
06-16-2006, 01:34 PM
i personally never heard of this. my quad is a 04 and i recently rebuilt the motor. the entire motor looked like new inside. very minimal wear and very little carbon build up. my quad has not had an easy like. been to the dunes 4-5 times and umpteen trips up north for the weekend of riding. how accountable is the mechanic your are working with. maybe get a second opinion. had a problem with a buddy's kfx 400. the mechanic said there was tons of stuff wrong. close to 2 g's worth of stuff. got a second opinion and put it together for under 400. i'd check into possibly another opinion. good luck

Originally posted by ANDRE VAN WYK
New to this sport or past time.Never had a quad before. Loving it and ride every weekend. Bought a new 06 Pred in November 05. Must admit that I was very happy with my pred until now. 10 days ago i took it to the dealer for a Blingstar bumper to be fitted. Nothing was wrong with my Predat that time. So they told me that my bike is very difficult to start. Had to replace the shims. While they were at it , also discover that the timing chain tensioner is to its max. they said that the chain is also stretched. told me they have to take the head of to look if valves have bend. And, guess what, intake valves bend. Was told that i over rev the bike or with down gearing. So now what I would like to know is.
1. Is this really possible that after 7 months my timing chain could have stretched so much and jump a sprocket tooth to bend the valves.
2. Why would they refuse to cover it under warranty.
3. Have any one else experience this problem

ANDRE VAN WYK
06-16-2006, 02:14 PM
The thing is, I spoke to the Polaris distrubutors in South Africa. The technical guy said that it is due to over reving. Now you tell me, who does not rev their Predator. Its sopose to rev and when it can't rev any more then the limiter kicks in. We do alot of trail riding and no track or races, so very few times does it reach the rev limiter. My opinion is that it could be a fault with the chain and polaris does not want to fix it under waranty. The cost to replace the chain, two vavles, head gasket and shims is R2500 (380 US).

preddymoto
06-16-2006, 03:29 PM
are they willing to warranty the work they do? in case it happens again.

DOHC
06-16-2006, 03:52 PM
there bull ****ing u man i would run her like she is and not pay a dime, there trying to fool u cause i mean lets face it u took it in to get a bumper on, not trying to put u down or anything but they prob figure u dont have any motor building skills and r trying to make some money off u

smokinwrench
06-17-2006, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by ANDRE VAN WYK
So they told me that my bike is very difficult to start. Had to replace the shims. While they were at it , also discover that the timing chain tensioner is to its max. they said that the chain is also stretched. told me they have to take the head of to look if valves have bend. And, guess what, intake valves bend.

Ok so for you the motor was starting up perfect?

If the valve was bent bad enough to not be sealing the motor shouldn't start, it wouldn't be able to build enough compression to start. If all of that is true it should have died on the trail right where the valve bent.

GE4x4
06-17-2006, 08:37 AM
You said your Pred was running great, so what they are saying the Pred wouldn't run at all. There pulling the wool over your eyes. Don't give them a dime as you did not give them permission to go into your motor. I hate dealers like that.:mad:

preddymoto
06-18-2006, 01:54 PM
yeah i really agree with everyone on that. you are getting bent over as far as i'm concerned. i'd take your complaint to a polaris rep higher on the food chain then what you already did. warranty should cover that no questions asked. i had a remote line on my rear shock blow and there wasn't any questions asked. thats the way it should be.

Scotty7304
06-18-2006, 02:46 PM
If you hit the rev limiter all the time it will throw your valves out of adjustment. Learn how to check your valve clearances yourself or have someone do it for you every once in awhile. The YFZ's are known for having problems with their valves comming out of adjustment and some have blown up 6 months after they bought them. Just take good care of it and have it checked over once in awhile.

smokinwrench
06-19-2006, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by Scotty7304
If you hit the rev limiter all the time it will throw your valves out of adjustment.

How is hitting the rev limiter any different then shifting 50 rpms before you hit it change anything? Only thing I see is if your hitting the rev limiter your getting outran.

How is hitting the rev limiter cuasing the valves to go out of adjustment faster?

Scotty7304
06-19-2006, 11:28 AM
I'm no where close to being an expert on motors, but I think when you get close to redline there is alot of pressure on the valve springs and this causes the valves to "float" or open and close when they are not suppose to.

GE4x4
06-19-2006, 03:36 PM
Thats why they have a rev limiter, so you do not float your valves. Plus he said his Pred was running great before he brought it there.

preddymoto
06-20-2006, 11:08 AM
ge4x4 is exactly correct. It goes the same in a v8. msd make a soft touch ignition to limit your rpms to keep in your "safe" zone. those motors should be set up to hold up to the rev limiter. i don't thjink i have ever hit mine. simply because it seems to lose power up there in the r's. I just feel it pulling and when it feels like it dogs i grab another gear. You deffinetly need to speak with a rep. maybe mention that you know alot of polaris riders and they're interest might change because of that.

ANDRE VAN WYK
06-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Thanks so far for all the input. Let me give you an update of what has been happening so far. Last week Wednesday I spoke to the rep of Polaris South Afria, aswell as the dealer and told them to get the rep out to the dealer to look at my preddy and make a proper assesment. The next day they told the dealer that Polaris will not entertain a waranty due to the fact of normal wear and tear, plus the quad is not new (7 months old). Another weekend without my preddy!!! Monday came and I sought all their findings in writing. Still to date non was given. Suddenly the rep told the dealer to resend the waranty. This was denied again (2nd time) Still not in writing. So I got outspoken and told them that I have been speaking to "Polaris people in the States" and they all said its a load of B*******. Suddenly the rep came out again today to do another assesment. This report will go to the MD of Polaris South Africa and he will make a call. Now my gut feeling is he will not entertain this aswell. Would this kind of thing happen in the states? I wonder. Also ask the dealer on how many preddys he had to change the timing chain, and he said non. Will keep you guys posted on further developments.

preddymoto
06-21-2006, 12:51 PM
hey i talked to my buddy which is a polaris mechanic. he said the only way this could of happened is if the chain was defective or it was assembled wrong. he works on alot of polaris quad motors and he has never ever even heard of that let alone seen it.

yamadjs08
06-21-2006, 01:39 PM
Actually it happened to my buddy with his 05 predator, its got maybe 75hrs on it tops. First he had a clutch plate shatter, and than it jumped time because the chain was so sloppy. But it did not bend any valves. So it jumping timing is possible, but it does sound like maybe they are BSing you a bit...