PDA

View Full Version : aNYONE EVER PUT A CR500 IN A 250R FRAME?

WareRacing
06-16-2006, 09:18 AM
aNYONE EVER PUT A CR500 MOTOR IN A 250R FRAME?

EASY/HARD... HOW DID IT WORK OUT?

baseballplaya23
06-16-2006, 09:20 AM
its my buddies i will try to get more pics when i see it again.

WareRacing
06-16-2006, 10:19 AM
hows the power? was it a hard swap?

250r4life
06-16-2006, 01:41 PM
waste of time and money... not to mention of a perfectly good 250r...

get a banshee...

baseballplaya23
06-16-2006, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life

get a banshee...

I couldnt agree more. since he has started it has been over a year and he still isnt ready to ride it. i dont think it was that hard or cost that much but still. Waste of a perfectly good 250r.

zedicus00
06-16-2006, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life

get a banshee...

ever seen one in person? a lot of peeple assume this from hearsay but if done RIGHT they make a bad ars quad. pretty much all of the vibration can be over come with bolt bushings, antivibe stems, and guessets. and a trued/ballanced/lightened crank.

dang, i wasted my 1000'th post on this???

250r4life
06-16-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by zedicus00
ever seen one in person? a lot of peeple assume this from hearsay but if done RIGHT they make a bad ars quad. pretty much all of the vibration can be over come with bolt bushings, antivibe stems, and guessets. and a trued/ballanced/lightened crank.

yes... i stand by my original post... JMO

honda350r
06-16-2006, 06:16 PM

They all turn out to be junk !! Do one right?:rolleyes:

zedicus00
06-16-2006, 06:33 PM
ive seen some nice ones that hold up just fine and run strong, but its not worth argueing about, if you wanna build one, then build one, if you dont. then dont.

Mechanix311
06-16-2006, 07:33 PM
I have built two of them the right way and i will never build another. They break everything is sight, pipes, frames, etc even if they are done with bushings on the motor mounts and anti vibe stems. Not to mention they are hard as hell to start. They are fast but i had some nice 250rs beat me up the hill too. My 330 will out run them both. I sold both of them

honda350r
06-17-2006, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Mechanix311
I have built two of them the right way and i will never build another. They break everything is sight, pipes, frames, etc even if they are done with bushings on the motor mounts and anti vibe stems. Not to mention they are hard as hell to start. They are fast but i had some nice 250rs beat me up the hill too. My 330 will out run them both. I sold both of them

Exactly!! I never had any CR 500 beat my 370..

WareRacing
06-17-2006, 10:41 AM
For all the guys saying "Get a banshee" thanks but i have two already, a 4mm cub and a 10mm cub...
I have a 370PV now in the R but its not enough, the saber kits are Just too expensive for this project bike. Do the cr500's vibrate as bad as the early quadzillas did?

Mechanix311
06-17-2006, 12:06 PM
My 500r's vibrated way worse than any quadzilla i have ever ridden. They are just down right miserable to ride even if they are done right.

zedicus00
06-17-2006, 01:33 PM
i bet you could build a saber kit R for less then that 370 you have. the saber kit comes with everything from a crank, carb, ignition, pipe, full lock up clutch, etc. thouse 370 kits are just a topend then u gotta go get everything else to go with it. and last time i checked the saber kit waslike 3700$

WareRacing
06-17-2006, 04:35 PM
i bet you could build a saber kit R for less then that 370 you have. the saber kit comes with everything from a crank, carb, ignition, pipe, full lock up clutch, etc. thouse 370 kits are just a topend then u gotta go get everything else to go with it. and last time i checked the saber kit waslike 3700$

Oh! i was under impression they were 3k for the cylinder kit alone..

If the 500s vibrate that bad, ill think of something else..

Mechanix311
06-17-2006, 04:43 PM
Yeah i would put my money into a saber or something else. The vibration of the 500s made me sell them both. JMO

smoxy
06-17-2006, 09:39 PM
I am presently looking into building a TRX500R. Been doing a lot of research on the subject too! As for the guy saying that they vibrate even when done right! There are quite a few people who have had little or no problems at all. Yes a lot of it has to do with using proper bushings and anti-vib bars, but a big thing is to have a well balanced crank. Sounds like most of the motors had pretty crappy cranks. You need to take the crank out and have it properly balanced. Obviously at the same time you have them press in new bearings as well. Your good to go! It doesn't hurt to beef up the frame as well which you should do even with the R's 250 motor. Some guys have also said it's not good to mount the motor through the swinger as it acts like a tuning fork!
Just a little unbiased info for you. You will only get a lot of negativity towards this subject because it's not the motor that the R came with! Well the R never came with a CR igition or +2 a-arms either boys! A person should be alowed to do whatever he/she wants with their R. Since Honda stoped making them so long ago, it's only natural to experiment with hybrids as the engineers should have!
Just my two cents! Have fun!

wilkin250r
06-17-2006, 10:51 PM
I've talked to many, even rode a few.

I have NEVER seen anybody completely satisfied with the end result over a long period of time. And unless Zed or smoxy know some type of magic I don't, I've never seen anybody completely eliminate the vibration problem, either.

Sure, they're fast. And everyone I ever talk to agrees, they're an absolute blast to ride, at least at the beginning. But the vibration makes it so that you can't ride for extended periods of time. Pretty soon, the novelty of that power wears off, but that vibration still remains. Sure looks nice, sitting in your garage never being ridden.

And let's face it, as a drag quad, it will NEVER compete with the modified banshees.

Mechanix311
06-17-2006, 11:15 PM
I had my first through the swingarm bolt hole and you are right they do vibrate more. The second one i made a complete engine cradle that mounts in at the lower frame rails and it held the lower and rear motor mounts in and it still vibrated like hell. I am not saying this because i dont want to see a good r hacked up i am saying this because you will HATE the bike you build. I hacked up two perfect frames and both bikes were junk but all well you win some and you lose some. Oh yeah and good luck starting those sob's because it is a pain in the but i had to tow mine and i weigh 210 lbs. My 330 will knock the socks off of those 500s i built bar none. The reason it will beat the 500s is because i can actually hold on to the grips without my hands going numb. hehe

trailwart
06-16-2007, 11:17 PM
sombody was just asking this

deathman53
06-17-2007, 09:16 AM
I hear the same thing, however, when put onto a atc frame, the vibration is hardley noticable, the forks cancel out the vibration. Alot of people are very happy with them also. The atc more resemebles the frame design and suspension type of the cr500. You know all kawasaki tecate 3's didn't have counterbalanced motors????? The vibration was noticable, but not hand numbing or annoying. I had one, I didn't even know it didn't have a counterbalncer untill I redid my clutch and didn't see one. I seen it plently of times in honda 250r motors.

Heres a tidbit of info for you guys....when kawasaki was gonna build the tecate 4, they first put in a 85 kx250 motor(nearly the same motor as 86/87 tecates), it vibrated their teeth out. They wondered why it didn't do that in the 3 wheeler frame. They redesgined the engine cases and crank to use a counterbalancer, nearly no vibration. They put a redesigned motor in a 86 tecate 3, there was no vibration compared to the little it had w/o a counterbalanced motor. They really didn't feel a difference. Does that descibe enough??? There was a racer in 03 that used a 250r frame and components, but used a kx250 motor, mid season, he took out the motor and had a honda 250r installed. He was much happier with the end result. He stated something how the kx250 motor was more powerfull, but the honda 250r motor allowed him to ride harder, longer than the kx250 motor did.

250Renvy
06-19-2007, 12:17 PM
I know you said $ was a factor but if you are looking for more power than the 370, then why not build one of the banshees into a cheetah 533?

OR put a CBR 600 motor or something like it into a 400ex. I'm sure that'll be fast enough.

It seems ridiculous that people keep doing this mod no matter how many people tell them it sucks. I'm sure there are better options.

Live2Ride300
10-30-2007, 07:27 AM
What about using the LT500R engine in the TRX250R Chassis?

korniev
10-30-2007, 08:07 AM
All I heard was that even a high compression 310 will blow the stock 500!!!

Live2Ride300
10-30-2007, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by korniev
All I heard was that even a high compression 310 will blow the stock 500!!!

Will blow away the stock LT500R? or CR500?

korniev
10-30-2007, 10:47 AM
In terms of quads it will rip[ them both, but not the cr500 dirtbike! That thing is insane!!:eek2: :eek2:

atvmxr
10-30-2007, 07:51 PM
I'd hold off to say that 370 can take ANY zilla motor. There is a gentleman in SoCal that has been around the zilla motors from day one and after 20 years he has figured out how to make them super reliable and VERY powerful....

Im still up in the air between my next project using a 350/370 PV versus a LT500. Im going to see for my self how well this "Rx'd" motor works in my zilla first. :macho