PDA

View Full Version : water wetter etc . look at this !!!

lee37vernon
06-16-2006, 02:53 AM
i was just doing a search to find someone who sells it in u.k , as i presume most of these additives to lower temp are the same and i came across this thread , on a pc site , no idea what their using it for but it made interesting reading .
does anyonme use this or a similar product , which is the best one to use or , like this thread states do they end up 'goo'ing' up your entire system ?

WATER WETTER .. A THING OF EVIL ? (http://www.wizdforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2338) :devil: :confused:

250r4life
06-16-2006, 01:49 PM
i just skimmed through it... sounds like it gummed up the machine or something?

i have never had a problem, but i have a buddy and have heard of other people who use engine ice, and after leaving it in the machine for too long, it overheated and gummed up everything... like i said, i run it though and have never had a problem with it... i change it about every 6 months though....

wilkin250r
06-17-2006, 11:18 PM
From what I could gather, they're talking about liquid cooling a computer processor. MUCH smaller water passages.

Also, the beginning (which seemed to be the bulk of useful information), the discussion was a PolySiloxane Polymer and bonding to rubber and causing build-up (like cholesterol in your arteries).

First off, the level of build-up that can cause a problem in the small passageways of a computer cooling system isn't going to affect a quad nearly as much. Likewise, if it permanantly bonds to rubber, it probably does NOT bond to metal, so you wouldn't have to worry about any build-up in critical areas (like inside your engine or radiator where all actual heat-transfer takes place).

This is the first I've ever heard of it causing problems. Frankly, I'm not worried, and I'll continue to use it. Follow my lead at your own risk.

Tom TRX250R
06-18-2006, 12:49 AM
I have always used Engine Ice the past several years with no problem, the only suggestion is that do not let a motor sit outside over a freeze because it does not contain a antifreeze agent in it so there is nothing protecting it from freezing and cracking. I honestly have never had a problem with it and I have owned and rebuilt several friends' R's as well!

lee37vernon
06-18-2006, 01:22 PM
does it have a corrosion inhibitor in it seeing as your not using glycol antifreeze ?

250R4EVR
06-18-2006, 02:43 PM
I used engine ice all of about 2 hours and it killed my motor. Im not exactly sure how it happened or what happened. All i know is that the motor seized solid and all the engine ice was thick and soupy when i pulled the intake feed off. Sicne then ive been stickin to Good old prestone. Just my 2 cents

HAVOK
06-18-2006, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Tom TRX250R
I have always used Engine Ice the past several years with no problem, the only suggestion is that do not let a motor sit outside over a freeze because it does not contain a antifreeze agent in it so there is nothing protecting it from freezing and cracking. I honestly have never had a problem with it and I have owned and rebuilt several friends' R's as well!

I had ICE in my 450R and road it in freezing temps/snow and parked it outside my quad was a soild ice covered for two days and it started right up. ICE is good down to somewhere around -25F.