PDA

View Full Version : 440ex on dyno!!!Test Result!!!

FoxMxRiders
06-15-2006, 08:46 PM
Here the dyno graph that I hae talked

- The bigger HP and torque is from a :
Cam
Carb
Porting
Filter
Openbox
Pipe
Race Gaz
Stock CDI

TO COMPARE :

- The less HP and torque is from a 400ex with :
open box
Filter
Pipe
Dynojet
Pump gaz

By the way,we will add a aftermarket CDI because the max HP is near the cut-off

GPracer2500
06-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Dyno seems to be reading a bit high if you ask me [shrug]. Almost 33 hp seems way high for a piped/filtered 400EX.

Nonetheless, that 440 is making some serious HP for a 400EX. Is that a stroker or just a bore?

krt400ex
06-16-2006, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Dyno seems to be reading a bit high if you ask me [shrug]. Almost 33 hp seems way high for a piped/filtered 400EX.

Nonetheless, that 440 is making some serious HP for a 400EX. Is that a stroker or just a bore?

lrd's pipe for the 400ex makes 32.9 horses. that's without their power up kit.

GPracer2500
06-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
lrd's pipe for the 400ex makes 32.9 horses. that's without their power up kit.

That's an advertised CLAIM for their full system. Advertised claims don't mean a whole lot to me.

krt400ex
06-16-2006, 02:57 PM

you also need to remember that the temp, atmospheric pressure, barometric pressure, and humidity play a big part in dyno readings. on the same dyno with the same bike and same mods, you might see a 4-5 hp difference between 2 diff. days of testing.

GPracer2500
06-16-2006, 04:02 PM
you also need to remember that the temp, atmospheric pressure, barometric pressure, and humidity play a big part in dyno readings. on the same dyno with the same bike and same mods, you might see a 4-5 hp difference between 2 diff. days of testing.

Every dyno I'm aware of has a small weather station built in that measures atmospheric conditions. The dyno's computer uses that data to create a correction factor that corrects the numbers to SAE standard conditions: 60 deg, sea level, 0% humidity.

Dyno's do vary though. Some manufactures' dynos can be calibrated by the operator. The (common) Dynojet 200/250 dynos are calibrated at the factory--as they wear over time that calibration can be affected. A dyno's calibration is different issue than the SAE correction factors.

And then there is the issue of the dyno operator. There are all sorts of ways a dyno operator can make a dyno give you the results you want.

I don't own a dyno and I don't operate one on a regular basis (never my by self). So, I'm not an expert. But I do know that a dyno's results cannot always be taken at face value--especially when someone is trying to sell you something based on THEIR dyno results.

BTW, atmospheric pressure and barometric pressure are the same thing. ;)

krt400ex
06-17-2006, 05:12 AM
Every dyno I'm aware of has a small weather station built in that measures atmospheric conditions. The dyno's computer uses that data to create a correction factor that corrects the numbers to SAE standard conditions: 60 deg, sea level, 0% humidity.

Dyno's do vary though. Some manufactures' dynos can be calibrated by the operator. The (common) Dynojet 200/250 dynos are calibrated at the factory--as they wear over time that calibration can be affected. A dyno's calibration is different issue than the SAE correction factors.

And then there is the issue of the dyno operator. There are all sorts of ways a dyno operator can make a dyno give you the results you want.

I don't own a dyno and I don't operate one on a regular basis (never my by self). So, I'm not an expert. But I do know that a dyno's results cannot always be taken at face value--especially when someone is trying to sell you something based on THEIR dyno results.

BTW, atmospheric pressure and barometric pressure are the same thing. ;)

ya got a point

GPracer2500
06-17-2006, 12:07 PM
ya got a point

Hey, no biggie! :)

Sometimes I worry I'm coming across sounding like a know-it-all or something. It's just that I try to be sure I can back-up my opinions with facts so I can respond when challenged. But I'm here to learn and share information just like everyone else!

krt400ex
06-17-2006, 12:56 PM
Hey, no biggie! :)

Sometimes I worry I'm coming across sounding like a know-it-all or something. It's just that I try to be sure I can back-up my opinions with facts so I can respond when challenged. But I'm here to learn and share information just like everyone else!

sorry, not offended or anything. i'm hear to leard too. you taught me something and i'm agreein' that ur right.

GPracer2500
06-17-2006, 12:59 PM
sorry, not offended or anything. i'm hear to leard too. you taught me something and i'm agreein' that ur right.

Right. I wasn't offended. That last post was just me trying to be amicable.

R3Concepts
06-18-2006, 01:29 PM
n-o-w-a-y

krt400ex
06-18-2006, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by R3Concepts
n-o-w-a-y

i don't understand what u mean by n-o-w-a-y.

R3Concepts
06-18-2006, 04:17 PM
i don't understand what u mean by n-o-w-a-y.

As in a 440 with those mods wont pull a 48.

krt400ex
06-18-2006, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by R3Concepts
As in a 440 with those mods wont pull a 48.

gotcha

kirka
06-20-2006, 05:48 PM
I hate to nag, but there is a difference between atmospheric pressure and barometric pressure. Atmospheric pressure is the "raw" air pressure reading; barometric pressure is the air pressure, converted or "normalized" to sea level. That is why you will sometimes see the barometric pressure on the evening news approximately the same for Phoenix (1200 feet elevation) as that for L.A. (sea level) and for Flagstaff (6900 feet elevation).

The reason I am being nitpicky about this is that too many rely on barometric pressure when trying to tune their engines; they should be using air pressure. Using barometric pressure to tune could result in an excessive lean or rich condition, causing further engine problems.

If you have the chance, I have some links to websites to tuning with both 2-stroke and 4-stroke engines. Check it out at:
performancetuner.net/overview.html

GPracer2500
06-20-2006, 06:34 PM
Cool. Thanks for that clarification.

tooanxiousii
06-30-2006, 05:00 PM
There is no way that is rear wheel HP maybe at the crank MAYBE

GoldenGloves
07-31-2006, 04:13 AM
Crank hp, now your being an ***.. :ermm:

chad502ex
07-31-2006, 11:49 AM
There are all sorts of ways a dyno operator can make a dyno give you the results you want.

such as?

07-31-2006, 02:00 PM
i dont see 48 hp as being out of the picture

tooanxiousii
07-31-2006, 02:15 PM
I had a 426 with the same stuff done and more and I only put out 36hp don't try to tell me that because of it being 440 witch is only 14cc larger that it can make that much more HP

GPracer2500
07-31-2006, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by chad502ex
such as?

I was mostly thinking about monkying with software settings--drum weight, SAE correction factor, stuff like that. Maybe I should have been more clear by saying that an unscrupulous operater can commit what amounts to fraud if they want. Especially if they're "working" with a customer who may not know much about dynos, engine tuning, and all the rest.

I once had dealings with a 2-wheeler tuning shop that often produced impressive gains: baseline vs. post-tune. This shop developed a reputation for coming up with gains that could not be produced on other dynos. It wasn't so much the peak numbers that were questioned, as we all know dynos can vary. It was the base vs. post-tune difference that couldn't be reproduced elsewere. The owner and primary dyno operater was one sketchy dude. I'm not sure exactly what his techniques were but they seemed to only benefit him. It's like he used his dyno to justify the benefits of his "tuning" rather than as a tool for evaluting improvements. He lost credibility among the circle of people that I associated with at that time.

It's that kind of situation I was trying to get at...

honda 400ex1
07-31-2006, 10:23 PM
yo is a 440ex worth it? do you think it is reliable?