PDA

View Full Version : Parents

xtullyx16
06-15-2006, 08:31 PM
Alright today i went riding with my friend and i rolled my quad on its side because my stock shocks suck ***. I scratched my plastics yada yada yada.... then im lookin for new shocks online and iknow the good brands like elka pep works axis. Soo im lookin on ebay, and i find a pair of standard travel peps triple rated with rezzie going for 250 and iml ike hell yeah thats like once in a liftime price... soo i ask my parents and my dad says thats like throwing money out the window... i mean cmon shocks are a very important thing to quads it helps you ride...makes things safer... i mean i have all the money i need im just not allowed to use my hard earned money that i work for on shocks.. ithink its complete bull**** but thats me ... and also me and my parents got a huge fight about shocks and how i dont need them.. and then it escalted to a bigger matter about somthing totally diff..... is there any advice from u guys out there to make my parents let me use my money to buy my shocks that would make my riding safer?!

06-15-2006, 08:40 PM
buy them anyway

they will get over it its your money

TRX_450
06-15-2006, 08:40 PM
i went thru it....didnt do it that time...shortly after one of my stockers blew and i hadda get new ones anyway...and i lied bout the price so it wasnt that big of a deal

Nick110
06-15-2006, 08:44 PM
Do you race? It sounds like someone just wants shocks because they herd there good and everybody else has them. Usually its not the shocks that make an ATV tip over so that wont help that much. Maybe a arms is what you should be looking into.

I race B class on stock shocks and stock a arms so you can do stuff on stock.

trx400exxracer
06-15-2006, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Nick110
Do you race? It sounds like someone just wants shocks because they herd there good and everybody else has them. Usually its not the shocks that make an ATV tip over so that wont help that much. Maybe a arms is what you should be looking into.

yours is a 450r and his is a 400ex

though

and he can buy the shocks if he wants to atleast he is not wanting to buy a loud pipe or a big bore kit suspension is the most important thing

xtullyx16
06-15-2006, 08:52 PM
and also my brother said i dont need a better suspenion i should buy **** to make it even faster but that would make it even harder to control.... ahhh... i got grounded for driving my truck and fourwheeler... goodbye freedom:ermm:

xtullyx16
06-15-2006, 08:58 PM
these were the shocks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-400EX-PEP-Shocks-Triple-rate-w-res-250R_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43974QQitemZ464871 7828QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

this sucks thats a damn good price!

xtullyx16
06-15-2006, 09:00 PM
heres the number

and heres ebay

http://www.ebay.com/

06-15-2006, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts_Suck
buy them anyway

they will get over it its your money thats what i'd do

just have them shipped to a good friends house, by the time they notice they will be there

put them on and get shock covers :D

wear the covers for a month or so and take em off and they might not notice :D :P

Nick110
06-15-2006, 09:09 PM
Those are works shocks. "WHAT WE HAVE HERE IS A SET OF TRIPLE RATE WORKS SHOCKS FROM MY 400EX,,,"

And I still say go with wider a arms, even if its plus 1 it still makes a world of difference.

xtullyx16
06-15-2006, 09:13 PM
ahh good catch nick110 but they still would have been way better than my stock 400ex shocks... ill even look into 450r shocks.. my shocks jsut plain suck i cant do anything to them

Crazy lil punk
06-15-2006, 09:33 PM
i have the same prob, but im just gonna have my mom order them, lol, :devil:

bansheexcracer2
06-15-2006, 09:39 PM
I would look in to 450r stock shocks. They will be cheaper and they are good. Just buy them. Thats what i do and my parents never know.

xtullyx16
06-15-2006, 09:46 PM
how tho.... if i take money out of the bank my moms gunna find out...... ahh this is hard.... what do i have to do to mak 450r shocks fit?? and are they better than works??

250xridamatt
06-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Get the shocks that are made for your model of fourwheeler if you buy some.

WhiteYFZ
06-15-2006, 10:14 PM

dam you piss me off.. u never have sometihng nice to say.. guess u were raised like a piece of ****:mad: :grr:

xtullyx16
06-15-2006, 10:28 PM
im not racing anyways nick110 im trail riding i dont need aftermarket a arms mine are fine ...... and is there a way to adjust mine?? to make adsorb more or sumthin??

XCRACER26
06-15-2006, 10:29 PM
450r shocks would make one hell of a difference, then you could add works springs too that and your in buisness. now about your parents, assumeing that you work/have a job. cash your check and take some of the mone out slowy tath way it wont be obvious. But, i will say that some times the truth is the best thing to do. I have had some hard lessions with that one, my dad is completely nuts:huh :devil: . ask xcbansheeracer2 about that one.:macho

Punk'd
06-15-2006, 10:31 PM
Yeah man I hear ya.. Parents will be parents. Mine dont understand the sport as well. I buy things that im in need of like tires for example and they think im blowing the money (I) worked my arse off for.

Im also in a similar situation about a truck. I want to buy a cheap truck just so I can get to work/school/riding places yet they wont let me.

Its life man.. Things will come around sooner or later (Hopefully)

It took me 5-6 years to convince my parents to let me get a quad.

Any idea how much that sucked? :mad:

06-15-2006, 10:36 PM
I'm lucky to have a brother that had a 300ex and raced and all that good stuff. It could be something that I don't need, but as long as my brother says it's important, I can get it. :devil:

xtullyx16
06-16-2006, 12:28 AM
yeah i get what ur saying punk'd that really sucks..... my dad just doesnt get that shocks actually really do help and my stock shocks really do suck. and also i do have a partime/full time job at a grocery store! and i dunno i kinda would like to enjoy spending my own money on something that would help and that would be cool..... imo

LittleMissE
06-16-2006, 12:40 AM
I am glad my parents understand the sport and love quads b/c if I have the money to buy something for my quad they are going to let me buy it even if they dont think I need it!!! Most of the time I can talk to them and we deside if I want it I can pay half!!! Man I love my parents!! B/c all the upgrades besides the stickers on my quad my parents brought me for christmas!!! But I guess I am one of the lucky ones with parents involed in the sport as much as me!!!!:p

Krazy KFX
06-16-2006, 01:17 AM
If you were my kid I would buy you the shocks. I have two kids that ride and I buy them what ever they want or need for their bikes. Of course it helps that I love the sport and race. My daughter works and she can buy whatever she wants with her money after all its hers, she worked for it not me... Good luck

06-16-2006, 01:19 AM
my mom and dad dont care because its my money

theTman
06-16-2006, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by WhiteYFZ
dam you piss me off.. u never have sometihng nice to say.. guess u were raised like a piece of ****:mad: :grr:

you say that to him yet look at what YOU said to him

your the one who needs to grow up, he was stating his opinon

mikeB
06-16-2006, 05:40 AM
i likesz mi dad and i d0nt likesz my mom

06-16-2006, 07:32 AM
This evening I'm spending $2,600 out of my $2,328 dollars. I'm using all of my money, plus borrowing some from my parents.

They don't seem to care much.

Well what do I say, its a Honda 440ex :D

stoled_400_:(
06-16-2006, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Punk'd
Yeah man I hear ya.. Parents will be parents. Mine dont understand the sport as well. I buy things that im in need of like tires for example and they think im blowing the money (I) worked my arse off for.

Im also in a similar situation about a truck. I want to buy a cheap truck just so I can get to work/school/riding places yet they wont let me.

Its life man.. Things will come around sooner or later (Hopefully)

It took me 5-6 years to convince my parents to let me get a quad.

Any idea how much that sucked? :mad:

lol, any idea how bad it would suck to (in my case) take 5 years to get it, then have it stolen a year later? :ermm: yea, it wasn't too enjoyable haha

Nick110
06-16-2006, 07:56 AM

Just trying to help out no need to get your panties in a bunch.:rolleyes:

A A R O N
06-16-2006, 08:47 AM
I had to beg my parents to get me a quad for 2 years. (When i was little and couldn't afford it) They finally got me an old beater, then i rode that thing to He lll and back and they realized how much i liked it. I got 2 jobs at the same time in 8th grade and also worked within the family on my uncles/grandpas farm. Since then, i've been buying whatever i want, and whenever i want it. I'll just go on ebay and spend 3-4-500 dollars at a time and then tell my mom after. They key is to make sacrifices. If i buy one thing, i have it in my mind that i have to sell another thing/s to make up for some of the expense. By doing this, you keep getting nicer and nicer stuff without taking tooo big of a loss. You just have to show your parents that you're responsible with your money with smaller, less important things. Eventually they'll let you spend your money. Heck, my mom owes ME money right now:eek2: :p ......$700, And i can't wait to get it from her.....I need it right now:D

sickmojave
06-16-2006, 09:52 AM
take your oil can out and hose down one of the shocks, then tell them it just blew out and you can't ride safely till it is replaced.. :devil:

xtullyx16
06-16-2006, 10:02 AM

take your oil can out and hose down one of the shocks, then tell them it just blew out and you can't ride safely till it is replaced..

thats pretty funny lol.... im sure my dad would find out but it would be worth a try! lol

06-16-2006, 10:05 AM
go out riding and accidently hit a tree'

bend the arms and you might break the shock, that way you'll get new shocks! :)

xtullyx16
06-16-2006, 10:25 AM
haha ... man, i just want new shocks not a mess to take off with my fourwheeler

mx428
06-16-2006, 01:44 PM
dam you piss me off.. u never have sometihng nice to say.. guess u were raised like a piece of ****:mad: :grr: No, he's right. You don't need anything but stock if you just casually trail ride. Even for MX an average B rider can ride a fully stock 450 and be fine, I have. I hit an 80 foot double at rausch creek 2 years ago on a 100% stock 450r. I landed fine, the power was fine, it was fine. Untill you use everything the quad has stock, upgrading is a waste of money.

06-16-2006, 01:56 PM
.. u never have sometihng nice to say..

chit, beat me to it

Nick110
06-16-2006, 02:10 PM
OK. How was I being mean and saying something bad. I was simply stating my opinion and trying to help him in the right direction.

culookn
06-16-2006, 02:21 PM
they will also help save arm pump and your wrists

06-16-2006, 02:26 PM
OK. How was I being mean and saying something bad. I was simply stating my opinion and trying to help him in the right direction.

I never said you were saying something bad i just said youve never got something "Nice" to say. Im tired of fighting on here. Thats just me stating my opinion in an apprpriate manner.:cool:

400exrider99
06-16-2006, 03:10 PM
i have the same problem i found some 450r shocks on ebay for like 200 and i couldnt get them because they think im wasting money same with an exhaust or a 416 bore kit ect...

Mean250r
06-16-2006, 05:51 PM

No one wants to hear your opinion, so please keep it to yourself next time :rolleyes:

Any way back to the subject, I got in a fight with my parents because i wanted to buy a TC short pipe for my YFZ. They were *****in cuz my dad knows how loud it is. It ended up in this big thing, then i told them, okay fine ill just get a Nmotion, its more quiet, went out and bought one with my money, he he :devil:

xtullyx16
06-16-2006, 08:49 PM
mx428

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dam you piss me off.. u never have sometihng nice to say.. guess u were raised like a piece of ****
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, he's right. You don't need anything but stock if you just casually trail ride. Even for MX an average B rider can ride a fully stock 450 and be fine, I have. I hit an 80 foot double at rausch creek 2 years ago on a 100% stock 450r. I landed fine, the power was fine, it was fine. Untill you use everything the quad has stock, upgrading is a waste of money.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey man im riding a 400ex if i got 450r shocks i would be fine... 400ex i dont even think u can adjust them.. thanks tho for ur opinion

HondaRacer300ex
06-16-2006, 09:06 PM
You can just press "quote" on the bottom of their post instead of copying and pasting everything.

Just to help.

400ex shocks are extremely cheap, you should be able to find some works for 150, let alone 250!

trx400exxracer
06-16-2006, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by mx428
No, he's right. You don't need anything but stock if you just casually trail ride. Even for MX an average B rider can ride a fully stock 450 and be fine, I have. I hit an 80 foot double at rausch creek 2 years ago on a 100% stock 450r. I landed fine, the power was fine, it was fine. Untill you use everything the quad has stock, upgrading is a waste of money.

yeah but it is a 400ex

mx428
06-16-2006, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by trx400exxracer
yeah but it is a 400ex and its just trail riding.:)

LittleMissE
06-16-2006, 10:04 PM
and its just trail riding.:)

Thats true I use to ride a warrior around on the trails with stock suspension for along time!!! But I still think he should be able to spend his own money to get what he wants there are worse things he could buy with his money!!!!

Nick110
06-16-2006, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Mean250r
No one wants to hear your opinion, so please keep it to yourself next time :rolleyes:

Any way back to the subject, I got in a fight with my parents because i wanted to buy a TC short pipe for my YFZ. They were *****in cuz my dad knows how loud it is. It ended up in this big thing, then i told them, okay fine ill just get a Nmotion, its more quiet, went out and bought one with my money, he he :devil:

Its an opinion... Everyone is entitled to one.

xtullyx16
06-16-2006, 11:11 PM
ok guys chill out...... i dunnoo im sure it would really help when i trail ride.... the trails i was riding yesterday had huge ruts and we got into open areas and i couldnt get out of 2nd gear because my suspenion is so hard i bouncing around like a box of bricks.. let alone going up hills wiht big as roots in them.. lol

06-16-2006, 11:14 PM
Its an opinion... Everyone is entitled to one.

What the hell is every *****in' for? It's a forum, if you don't like his opinion...Scroll Down.

LittleMissE
06-16-2006, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by xtullyx16
ok guys chill out...... i dunnoo im sure it would really help when i trail ride.... the trails i was riding yesterday had huge ruts and we got into open areas and i couldnt get out of 2nd gear because my suspenion is so hard i bouncing around like a box of bricks.. let alone going up hills wiht big as roots in them.. lol

I am not trying to sound mean if this turns out that way !!!! Try riding a blaster that you just learned how to ride and go over small rocks at first then the trail just keeps getting harder and harder and your parents just keep going up the trail!!!!( and when I say first learning how to ride it, it was my first manual transmission)!!! So my point of this is part of going faster over huge ruts and rocks isnt all quad it's also driving ablity!!! And as long as you know how to drive up hills you should be fine going over hills with roots in them b/c you should be slowing down a little for those any way!!! I still think that you should be able to buy the shocks if you want em but you may not need them as bad as you think they do!!!

Punk'd
06-16-2006, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by stoled_400_:(
lol, any idea how bad it would suck to (in my case) take 5 years to get it, then have it stolen a year later? :ermm: yea, it wasn't too enjoyable haha

My life would end right there.. That things my baby.

A A R O N
06-17-2006, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by Punk'd
My life would end right there.. That things my baby.

I just went out to the garage to check and make sure mine was still there and in one piece:p I'm always real scared to leave it unattended for any period of time.

MOFO
06-17-2006, 06:32 AM
and its just trail riding.:)

How about you define trail riding???

I'll bet a $100 that what I call "trail riding" would be considered WFO riding to others and that suspension would be FULLY used! If we ever have a H/M ride again, I suggest you come down and do some "trail riding" with us. It will change your definition!

Get off this kids back.... its his money, not yours.

So what if someone wants to putt on a race bike.... who are YOU to say he can't do that.

Kids... :rolleyes: Your all self proclaimed experts, huh?

06-17-2006, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by MOFO
How about you define trail riding???

I'll bet a $100.. bla bla bla

Kids... :rolleyes: Your all self proclaimed experts, huh? if you want to point out how were such proclaimed experts, maby you could use proper english?

I'll bet you $100

or

I'll bet $100

or even

I'll bet a 100 dollar bill

but I'll bet a $100, that just isnt right :blah:

miller821
06-17-2006, 12:41 PM
Chill out there turbo, he's just giving his own opinion and what he thinks best.. And I didn't see him say anything mean at all. But I agree with MOFO, when I trail ride, i'm usually 3rd gear pinned, hitting 4th on some trails that I know, i'm not putting around in 2nd gear the whole time... But thats just me I guess.

Mxjunkie
06-17-2006, 06:29 PM
I'm with them, trail riding usually turns out into 3-4th wfo bouncing off trees, jumping cricks etc. I went with yfz shocks on my banshee just like you would do on your 400ex with 450r shocks and it was a HUGE improvement. They work perfect in the woods but on a mx track it'd be just better off buying works or elkas.

I'd just hold off for a little ride what you have and save up and just buy the stuff.

400 SS EX
06-17-2006, 07:24 PM
It's your money man, do what I do just get the money out of your account somehow ( a little here and there or something and save it ) buy the item and have it shipped to a friends house. Worked for me for 2 years before my parents just realized I was serious about my fourwheeler and racing it.
--Off the sunject but, today I got a Possesion of Alcohol by a Minor while on a float trip ( minding my own business, causing no trouble, being quiet, he said he had been watching what I drank) anyway, I was expecting my parents to be mad but omg! It's like I wasn't doing anything that could REALLY hurt me ( I had a tube, lifejacket, sober driver, and about 8 more hours til I got dropped off at my house) I have to pay the $450 , court fees, lawyer fees, and fees to keep it off my insurance. I just guess they don't realize that when I make 6.65/ hr this little incident will hurt me alot more than it hurt there feelings. Go Miller Lite

MOFO
06-17-2006, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Crath
if you want to point out how were such proclaimed experts, maby you could use proper english?

I'll bet you $100

or

I'll bet $100

or even

I'll bet a 100 dollar bill

but I'll bet a $100, that just isnt right :blah:

Are you trying to shorten your stay here? I made that post after waking up... excuse me Mr. English

I could have been saying "I'll bet a hundred dollars..."

I guess thats the best you could come up with dealing with the topic at hand? :rolleyes:

Check your PM"s... you need to remove atvwire.com from your title and shorten your sig!

Rider-trx_250ex
06-17-2006, 08:18 PM
be like, hey, it's my money and i work for it just like u guys do, so dont u think its fair i spend it on what i want? then just replace what u spent

LTandRaptorider
06-17-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
Are you trying to shorten your stay here? I made that post after waking up... excuse me Mr. English

I guess thats the best you could come up with dealing with the topic at hand? :rolleyes:

BTW chithead, I could have been saying "I'll be a hundred dollars..."

Check your PM"s... you need to remove atvwire.com from your title and shorten your sig!

if you want to point out how were such proclaimed experts, maby you could use proper english?

Also, where he says were... I believe it's supposed to read, we're... And maby could maybe have been, maybe... Oh this is gonna be good tonight! Maybe some more snot-nosed punks will get the boot. Except they will be back shortly under a new name... :rolleyes:

To the topic... Your parents are only trying to make sure you learn to save money. This is their way of teaching you financial responsibility. In their view, and keep in mind they have been around much longer than you... There are much better things for you to spend money on than shocks for your quad. My parents made me save up money, which I hated when I saw stupid stuff I wanted. But when it came time to buy my first car, lo and behold... I had enough saved to pay cash for it! ;)

Ok, end of story... Helpful advice time over. I now return everyone to the childish bickering that has become the standard... :rolleyes:

MOFO
06-17-2006, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider

Also, where he says were... I believe it's supposed to read, we're... And maby could maybe have been, maybe... Oh this is gonna be good tonight! Maybe some more snot-nosed punks will get the boot. Except they will be back shortly under a new name... :rolleyes:

LOL, I didnt even notice that! I guess he skipped out during the spelling lessons in English class. :rolleyes:

300extreme#8
06-17-2006, 09:13 PM
yea i deal with it also, but if u think bout it, all the money spending is stupid... unless ur serious and racing for something, if u race i say buy them, if not, just ride and be happy, i dont want to sell my quad b/c i know i have well over 16,500 dollars put into it but i highly dout i could even sell it for 5,000, so thats what he means when he says it's worthless