PDA

View Full Version : Help me figure this one out....

Pappy
06-15-2006, 07:45 PM
Ok detectives.....

Cody has been having trouble throwing chains. We had narrowed it down to either a faulty carrier or swing arm, as the pinch bolts would squeeze flush and after 25 or 30 laps the chain would loosen. the chain actually only came off twice in almost 80 hours of riding.

Anyway, I started buttoning up the quad tonight when I noticed something wasnt right. I was actually taking the swing arm off to fix whatever i could find when i ran into this(see pic)

He has never run this in the rocks, and the sprocket is straight although it did wear funny which I am assuming was caused by the slightly tweaked:eek2: sprocket hub.

My first thought was it was damaged when the hub was pressed on the axle, I know I tried installing it with out a press but only used a rubber mallet. if i can bend it with a rubber mallet then wtf:p

Im still trying to figure out just how this occured, and maybe someone out there has seen this type of thing before. I have seen them break into pieces, but never bend.

Pappy
06-15-2006, 07:47 PM
My first indication on the press as being the culprit ....or operator there of....was the fact that the opposing side is also tweaked.

Scro
06-15-2006, 07:56 PM
If both sides are bent, I don't know how it could have been caused by anything except a press:huh

1fst400
06-15-2006, 07:57 PM
I dono whats up with that.

But I do know that the durablue sprocket hubs bend easy, I dont know if that was one or not. But mine bent off a rock, I bent it back fairly easily with a big plastic hammar.

Pappy
06-15-2006, 07:58 PM
That is what I was thinking, except they are bent in the wrong direction, atleast from teh way I would have pressed it on

Scro
06-15-2006, 07:59 PM
Was it a brand new axle?

juanki
06-15-2006, 08:01 PM
maybe had two diferent hits, so that why it bented in diferent sides.

Pappy
06-15-2006, 08:02 PM
It was new when I assembled the quad, but we ordered it without a 300ex spocket hub and had a 450R hub pressed on.

I have the 300ex hub heating up now in an attempt to salvage the race this weekend.

Scro
06-15-2006, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
had a 450R hub pressed on.

Maybe the hub was bent when it was taken off the axle which would explain it being bent in the opposite direction, or was it new as well?

Pappy
06-15-2006, 08:06 PM
LOL...nothing stock, it is an LSR axle. I think it was either the press or somehow or another it got tweaked

this is off our TRX90 based hybrid

Pappy
06-15-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by bama450r
Maybe the hub was bent when it was taken off the axle which would explain it being bent in the opposite direction, or was it new as well?

nope, brand new axle, brand new un installed hub

Mxjunkie
06-15-2006, 08:17 PM
Kinda sounds like mine with its breaking chain habbit!

Maybe Cody is just giving that thing pure hell and is bending it by riding?

That or its not exacty lined up perfect?

cletusEX
06-15-2006, 08:53 PM
I have bent sprocket hubs with a rubber mallet, but I have been known to go a little overboard (especially when my buddy Miller Lite tried to help.:D )

Pappy
06-15-2006, 08:57 PM
I spoke with my bro and he said he used a tool that they use to press on c-clip eliminators so he knows it wasnt the press work.

I will take the blame for bending it with my trust rubber mallet...lol

I dropped the 300ex hub on the axle, its not as true as I would like it, but the chain should stay put for the work he has to do saturday night:macho (i hope:p )

I should have it all reassembled tomorrow night and we will run the snot out of it prior to leaving for the race.

Pappy
06-15-2006, 09:04 PM
Cody snapped a pic before i turned off the lights for teh night. Excuse the mess, I wasnt ready to work on this rascal tonight, it was supposed to be completed at my brothers house but I got shafted:chinese:

Little bit different color for the frame....maybe a plain color will help Murphy stay away and he wont break this one:p