PDA

View Full Version : bogging down after oil change and new chain???

01_400ex_44
06-15-2006, 05:48 PM
I have just finished putting new sprockets, chain and changing the oil on my 01 400ex. After changing the oil the quad continues to bogg down.

I have not ridden it for over a month and before that i havent ridden since last summer cause i was at school. My bro might have been riding a few times but that was it and it wasnt boggin down when i rode a month ago.
The oil was completly gone before i did the oil change. there was about a 1/4 of quart when i emptied the oil. The oil filter had plenty of oil however.

So anyone know why it might be boggin down before i kill my bro.

:confused:

MO-EX-RIDER
06-15-2006, 05:53 PM
bad gas, fouled plug?????

GPracer2500
06-15-2006, 05:54 PM
Wait--you're saying there was only a 1/4 quart of oil in it??

Choppers
06-15-2006, 06:05 PM
sounds like something serious like burning oil. maybe rings need to be changed

01_400ex_44
06-15-2006, 06:30 PM
ya thats right less than a 1/2 quart of oil was in my 4 wheeler. i knew it needed to be changed but had no idea it was that bad

but i first thought it was bad gas because it smelt a lttle funny and i cant trust my bro with much, like filling it up with gas.

I also need to change the spark plugs so that will be another job. Is there anyway to drain the gas? I hope that this will be the problem cause i cant afford any big problems.

GPracer2500
06-15-2006, 06:35 PM
Turn the fuel to RES and open the float bowl drain screw. That will drain the tank out of the float bowl drain hose.

Choppers
06-15-2006, 06:38 PM
was it blowing any smoke out the exhaust?

GPracer2500
06-15-2006, 06:39 PM
You'll need to be more specific about "boggin down" before anyone can help you diagnose without just taking a wild stab. When does it happen? What throttle postion? Does it start ok? Stuff like that...

01_400ex_44
06-15-2006, 06:45 PM
Where is the float bowl drain screw located and will this drain all the gas out?

It wasnt blowing any smoke out the exhaust

by "bogging down" i mean that when it gets to a certain rmp it boggs down and loses power. when i start out in first i have to be careful not hit the throttle to hard or it will stall. also when i switch gears it bogs and when i get to 3rd i cant get half way through the gear without it losing power and boggin down.

My friend thinks my bro might have put gas with water in it so i think that might be the problem but if its not, im not going to know what to do.

Choppers
06-15-2006, 08:08 PM
it could may be evendirtyjets if it bogs down like that or like gp said bad gas

GPracer2500
06-15-2006, 08:42 PM
The drain screw is a brass screw on the side of the float bowl at the very bottom edge. It faces to the side (left side I think). Basically, just look at the carb and find a brass screw that is near the bottom. Open it a few turns (you don't need to remove it) and you'll see fuel start to run out of a small black hose that runs out the bottom of the quad near the shock linkage. Be sure the petcock is on reserve so all the gas will drain.

If for some reason your not finding what I'm talking about than you can always open the main jet access cap (17mm cap) on the very bottom of the carb. If faces down. Open that and all the gas will run out but it'll get all over everything.

As far as the bogging: there's a good chance that the carb just needs to be internally cleaned. Whatever the cause, you'll want to eliminate "dirty carb" as a possible cause and then go from there. Also, by cleaning the carb you'll eliminate other possible causes such as a main jet that has fallen out.