PDA

View Full Version : Intake

Choppers
06-15-2006, 05:03 PM
I am looking at getting this kit.

http://motosport.com/product.jsp?path=-1|31987|29304|121144&id=185041

Will i need to re-jet the bike after doing this or could i leave it to the stock jetting?

Also would i need to remove the airbox lid?

Choppers
06-15-2006, 05:05 PM
since the link doesn't show up

it's a K&N filter with the billet aluminum adapter and the precharger.

also the bike is a 2005 honda 400ex

GPracer2500
06-15-2006, 05:05 PM
link doesn't work

GPracer2500
06-15-2006, 05:08 PM
It'll probably want a slight richening of the jetting. But it depends...

Choppers
06-15-2006, 05:39 PM
should itake the air box lid of afterwards

I live in Florida if the elevation matters

GPracer2500
06-15-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Choppers
should itake the air box lid of afterwards

I live in Florida if the elevation matters

That's your choice. I would.

If you live at a low elevation then just adding the airfilter is likely to require a small jetting change--maybe one size on the main and a 1/4 or 1/2 turn on the fuel screw [shrug]. Running with the k&n AND the airbox lid off will almost certainly require a little richening. Come winter time (cooler/dryer air) you may want to richen yet again.

Could you run the K&N (even without the lid) and not rejet? Sure. But your engine will run hotter than necessary (lean = hot) and you'll be giving away some peak HP.

Choppers
06-15-2006, 06:03 PM
so basically by what your saying i should just order a jet kit as well?

GPracer2500
06-15-2006, 06:21 PM
so basically by what your saying i should just order a jet kit as well?

NO. I really don't like "jet kits". I much prefer to simply use factory Keihin jets. All you do is replace the standard (stock) sized jets with larger sized jets (to go richer).

Stick with Keihin.

Choppers
06-15-2006, 09:09 PM
gp so your saying you never touch the pilot jet?

i am thinking about getting exhaust to so never touch the pilot jetwhen you do this also?

GPracer2500
06-15-2006, 09:35 PM
gp so your saying you never touch the pilot jet?

i am thinking about getting exhaust to so never touch the pilot jetwhen you do this also?

Never touch the pilot jet?? :p Somehow we're not getting on the same page. I wrote an article in the "How To" section all about adjusting the pilot circuit. You may want to check it out.

Jet kits use proprietary jets, adapters, (sometimes) plugs, proprietary needles, etc. IMO they offer ZERO performance difference over useing original Keihin jets (or Mikuni, or whatever brand carb your working with). Understand that by "original Keihin jets" I'm not talking about the size of the jet--I'm refering to the brand of manufacture. You can get Keihin jets in any size you want.

I believe the only reason there is a market for jet kits is to offer a "bolt on" jetting solution for those not predisposed to learning about jetting. If jet kits used the same type of jets originally in a carb than all you'd have to do is get your hands on the parts list for a jet kit and you could bypass the jet kit manufacture alltogether.

Lots of people use jet kits and have success in tuning thier bike. That's fine. Personally, I don't think jet kits get you anything you don't get using parts made by the manufacture of the carb.

nosliw
06-15-2006, 10:16 PM
the advantage of a jet kit is the availability of a wide selection of jets right there. no more running to the bike shop to buy the next size up or down.

with that said, i don't buy jet kits.

GPracer2500
06-15-2006, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by nosliw
the advantage of a jet kit is the availability of a wide selection of jets right there. no more running to the bike shop to buy the next size up or down.

with that said, i don't buy jet kits.

That's a good point. I ususally just recomend folks buy 5-packs of Keihin main jets (EXAMPLE (http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Parts_Unlimited_ATV_2005/default.asp?p=844)). That gives you a range.

I'm lucky enough to have a local place that will trade jets out when I need different sizes. I rarely need to do that though because I have a jet "collection" that covers most any situation for my different bikes.

I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing jet kits. For plenty of people, that might be the right choice [shrug]. For a variety of practical reasons (some of which may not apply to everyone), I guess I just don't care for them.

ELewandowski
06-16-2006, 06:29 AM
Here is how i have my 440ex intake set-up.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1122872/440air.JPG