PDA

View Full Version : New Rider

Olla
08-13-2002, 06:33 PM
HI everybody! I just bought my first 4 wheeler a 99 400EX. I have a couple questions for the experts here. I was looking at the rear axle lock nut and it has tape around the nut, also there is oil or something coming from where the axle locknut and axle meet do you know what could be wrong with it? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks for your time!!

250exen
08-13-2002, 06:52 PM
welecome to exriders. there are many very knowledgeable people here but there are some people...... well they are interesting. also the tape around the nut is to keep it from comming loose when riding. i dont know about the oily stuff tho.
tj

Sparks425Ex
08-13-2002, 07:06 PM
Tape around the lock nut is very common once the lock nut has been removed once. It is to keep it from coming loose when riding. You can always buy an aftermarket lock nut if yo don't like the way it looks. I would suggest a RAD lock nut from Marcums.

The oily stuff could be 2 things.(That i can think of)

1st: It could be a broken or Cracked Brake line, or Bleaky Caliper. Anything to do with teh Brake Caliper could be teh Problem. I am thinking if that is the Problem then the oily material is Brake Fluid.

What color is the Fluid?

If it si a clear or golden color then it is probly Brake Fluid.

2nd: The only other possible logical solution i can come up with is that it would be that your bearings or bearing Carrier are so wore that the grease from inside the bearing carrier is leaking around the carrier and coming out to what you are seeing. Once it gets out and is near the caliper it would heat causeing it to become a more oily form. This situation in my mind is very doubtful but is possible.

O yeah and welcome aboard :Star Ship Trooper:

Olla
08-15-2002, 05:03 AM
Thanks for your help 250exen and LSR416ex. This is one of the coolest sites on the web. The oil is a brown color on my axle so maybe whoever had it before me used alot of WD40 or something to get the lock nut loose. In your guys opinon should I just let it go or should I do a bearing change or when will I know when it needs a bearing change? Sorry for asking dumb questions here. This is just all new for me! Thanks Again!!