PDA

View Full Version : Radar Detectors

PismoLocal
06-15-2006, 11:44 AM
Who has one? What kind do you have? How well does it work?
I've been looking into getting one. I just got a speeding ticket about a month ago and it ended up being $350. I figured a radar detector is a sound investment because it would really only have to save me once and it will have paid for it self. So it you have one please post info and maybe a pic too if you have one thanks. :cool:

06-15-2006, 11:47 AM
edit: understand now, you want a radar detector :P

my friend has one and its nice

Quad18star
06-15-2006, 12:37 PM
They work well , until you get busted for having one . I know some areas allow them , but most places don't and the cops have radar detector detectors .

So you'll get a $350 fine , plus a couple hundred dollars more for having the detector , plus they'll most likely confiscate it . So in all , you'll be out probably $600 or $700 when it's all said and over with .

honda350r
06-15-2006, 01:00 PM
http://www.valentine1.com/

All others are worthless compared to this detector!!

400exstud
06-15-2006, 02:03 PM
Around here, detectors are legal. Its the jammers that are 50 state illegal.

LTZ400rider
06-15-2006, 02:06 PM
i know va is illegal, but around here they only use radars on highway, small streets they time u between 2 lines, i found all the whit elines in my town and i know where the cops hide now :devil:

Scott-300ex
06-15-2006, 02:15 PM
They are legal around here, I gaurentee you the cops look down upon you if they know you got one or see you got one after they pull you over.

I used to want one right before I got my license but didn't want to spend the money, I'm glad I didn't cuz I think they're a waste of money. All my friends that have them, they don't even work really, and towers set them off so everytime you drive by some towers they get set off.

And cops have a signal now that your detector can't even pick up, not many of them around have it though.

My advice, don't waste your money, and just behave on the road unless you know its clear.

PismoLocal
06-15-2006, 02:37 PM
My ticket was for doing 75 in a 65 at 9pm it was complete bs. I know im going to buy a radar detector I just dont know which one yet any one else have personal experience or suggestions as to which ones are good ??

sakirocket28
06-15-2006, 03:25 PM
there are some really good ones out there. one thing iv seen with most of the cheaper ones, and even some of the high end ones is that they only detect radar thats infront of it, in a certan projected pickup area. im not sure about other states, but most cops in GA have a radar on their mirrors to see how fast cars infront of them are going, and one on the back deck to radar cars behind them.

Ralph
06-15-2006, 04:33 PM
ive been using my friends passport detector. Works well and they will shut off if they detect the radadar dectector signal from a cop.

Its saved me atleast a few tickets and i just like the comfort of getting an early warning. I could go without one but its nice.

Honda400exrox
06-15-2006, 04:50 PM
Hmmm this is a very crazy and an extreme idea, but why not just do the speed limit?:huh :confused:

PismoLocal
06-15-2006, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
ive been using my friends passport detector. Works well and they will shut off if they detect the radadar dectector signal from a cop.

Its saved me atleast a few tickets and i just like the comfort of getting an early warning. I could go without one but its nice.

I have been looking at the passport it seems like thats everybodies favorite that I have talked to. The valentine 1 looks promising but I haven't talked to any one that owns one.

Ralph
06-15-2006, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
I have been looking at the passport it seems like thats everybodies favorite that I have talked to. The valentine 1 looks promising but I haven't talked to any one that owns one.

Valentine1 is #1 for sure. Friends dad has one and it is ceirtainly top of the line. The passport craze was just going around my friends cause they didnt know anybetter and i believe they are cheaper.

On the passport if i honk my horn it will set of the lazer alarm lol. Its fun though cause when i have some friends in the car i can scare the heck out of em by honking the horn and letting the thing go wild.

Some of my volunteer friends have also told me some of their radios and pagers have set them off. Both the above situations could hold true for any detector but i know the passport does this for sure.

ATV Father
06-15-2006, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by honda350r
http://www.valentine1.com/

All others are worthless compared to this detector!!

This is the best one!

BTW - They are only illegal in VA and Washington D.C., in the states.

Ralph
06-15-2006, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by ATV Father
This is the best one!

BTW - They are only illegal in VA and Washington D.C., in the states.

I thought Ny too???

popo
06-16-2006, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by Honda400exrox
Hmmm this is a very crazy and an extreme idea, but why not just do the speed limit?:huh :confused:

Say what! have you driven on the Q.E. i.e. trans Canada lately. You have to do a 100mph in order to stay alive.

Yawl can have your fancy gizmos. I'll still get ya. Vascar.

Ralph
06-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by popo
Say what! have you driven on the Q.E. i.e. trans Canada lately. You have to do a 100mph in order to stay alive.

Yawl can have your fancy gizmos. I'll still get ya. Vascar.

its not even just about speeding. I just like knowing where you are.

I havent been pulled over since i got my liscense and i do speed. I dont speed through neighborhoods but on some roads where the speed limit is ouragous yeah, i speed.

Its easy to figure out where the cops let you get away with an extra 5 or 10 mph. Just watch them when they're off duty.

Scott-300ex
06-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
My ticket was for doing 75 in a 65 at 9pm it was complete bs.

Wut are you talking about?

How is that bs? You were going 10 miles over the speed limit, you got caught you got a ticket, thats how it works, you know that if you go over the speed limit you can get a ticket, so you decide to go 10 over and expect not to get a ticket?:huh

Now me, I was going 15 over and got caught and got a warning. But theres reasons for that, you gotta know how to handle it and all.

06-20-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
you gotta know how to handle it and all. rofl... bribe and sweet talk?

10 over the speed limit and getting a ticket is bs

your supposed to keep a perfect speed on a road or else... goto a highway or interstate or whatever... everybody is going the same speed which is at least 15 mph above the limit, including the cops

PismoLocal
06-20-2006, 04:41 PM

How is that bs? You were going 10 miles over the speed limit, you got caught you got a ticket, thats how it works, you know that if you go over the speed limit you can get a ticket, so you decide to go 10 over and expect not to get a ticket?:huh

Now me, I was going 15 over and got caught and got a warning. But theres reasons for that, you gotta know how to handle it and all.

Ya you must never drive on the free way because I dont think I have ever been on the free way when traffic is moving at 65 mph.
Traffic is always moving 5-15mph over the speed limit. Yes it is Illegal going 75 in a 65. I wouldnt consider 75 mph dangerous on a 3 lane freeway with no one insight though. I understand why he pulled me over but giving me a ticket ($350 after traffic school) for doing 10 over seems a little harsh. Its not like I'm some crazy hot rodin kid either I have a stock 4 banger toyota tacoma 4x4.

06-20-2006, 07:21 PM
I always wanted a radar that said "Po Po alert...Po Po alert" and then when the cops leave it says "Po Po no mo'...Po Po no mo'." Stremme will know what I'm talking about. :devil:

300ex_#387
06-20-2006, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by MrMan
I always wanted a radar that said "Po Po alert...Po Po alert" and then when the cops leave it says "Po Po no mo'...Po Po no mo'." Stremme will know what I'm talking about. :devil:

:devil: Yeah that was a long car ride wasn't it?

06-20-2006, 07:30 PM

im sure you can get youe you can hook up to your laptop or something... upload your own sounds then :D

Honda400exrox
06-20-2006, 08:17 PM

he plays the skin flute to get out of his tickets lol

PolarisRider
06-20-2006, 08:41 PM
Dad has a passport, its a lot of money but worth every penny. Hasnt failed him yet. Highly reccomended.

honda350r
06-20-2006, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by PolarisRider
Dad has a passport, its a lot of money but worth every penny. Hasnt failed him yet. Highly reccomended.

The passport is ok but the V1 smokes it !

440racer66
06-20-2006, 11:50 PM
my dad has one and it has a stealth mode wich makes it undetecable i dont know the brand name but it was EXSPENSIVE

popo
06-21-2006, 05:44 AM

What, uh! what alert are you talking about.

I love messing with people on the freeway.

Everyone doing the speedlimit behind me and as soon as I exit off to an off ramp, everyone speeds up....

hee heee little do they know I go straight back on to the freeway behind them. :devil: The look you see in rear view mirrors:huh

cdalejef
06-21-2006, 05:49 AM
Your so mean! :rolleyes: