View Full Version : Stainless Braided Brake Lines

ridered86
08-13-2002, 05:30 PM
PROS, CONS? I HAVE THE $$ SO SHOULD I GET EM?

Smoker
08-13-2002, 06:17 PM
You won't regret it, I noticed a big improvement. Just make sure you bleed them thoroughly. :p

Sparks425Ex
08-13-2002, 06:31 PM
This is a must for any Mx racer or any type of racing. They stock line are rubber so they flex which means all the pushing power in the Brake lines does not do directly to teh Brakes it goes to teh force to expand the Brake Lines. A very good idea to get.

honda_racer199
08-13-2002, 07:20 PM
It's a great idea to get some Steel Braided Brake Lines! They work great over stock brake lines. I just recently had to take my back one off because I smashed it. So, I had to put the stock one back on, felt like I was riding on some Blaster brakes or something! Put the stock ones to shame in a real hurry!:D

RytM1
08-13-2002, 07:52 PM
I'm looking into the braided lines too, but am also considering the kevlar lines. I'm sure the Kevlars are better, and of course will cost more, but does anyone know if the performance of the kevlar is worth the price?

PDunes300ex
08-13-2002, 08:14 PM
will 400ex extended brake lines fit the 300ex. I blew my stock ones and need some extended...but nobody has them listed for a 300ex. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Quadfather
08-13-2002, 08:51 PM
I installed SS lines a couple months ago. It is probably the best mod I've done so far. They may seem kinda pricey, until you ride with them, then you'll wonder why you waited so long to get them.

zzbudzz
08-14-2002, 06:01 AM
the plant i work at makes the kevlar,and you wouldn't believe how strong that stuff is. you could probably pick up a house with a 1/8 inch diameter line!! damn near unbreakable!i didn't know they made brake lines..

Dave400ex
08-14-2002, 09:05 AM
Does anybody have the Galfer or Lines Duncan sells?

RytM1
08-14-2002, 01:39 PM
Budzz, Goodridge makes kevlar lines, but I haven't been able to determine if they have an application for the EX. A guy I ride with once in a while has kevlar lines, but I never asked where he got them, or what brand they are. For all I know, they may be for a different application, and he put them on the EX.

RytM1
08-14-2002, 08:28 PM
Ok, this is what I have found out today. Goodridge does have an application for the 400EX, per one of their reps (Mike: 800-662-2466). While they don't advertise it, they can be purchased through a retailer, they do not deal directly with the public. He told me the price was approx. $65-70 for front, and the same for the rear, but couldn't give me much tech info on them as far as whether the front was two seperate lines, or if it was one line to a "splitter", then to each caliper. I went to the distributor page of their site www.goodridge.net and spoke to most of the "metric bike" distributors that they list. The only problem is that most of them deal with sportbikes, and will not go out of their way, even though I gave them the part numbers, to order them. I still have a few places to check with, but I doubt anyone will stock them, so it will be like a special order thing on Goodridges part to make them up as needed.

Sick0
08-14-2002, 08:41 PM
cool

zzbudzz
08-15-2002, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by RytM1
Budzz, Goodridge makes kevlar lines, but I haven't been able to determine if they have an application for the EX. A guy I ride with once in a while has kevlar lines, but I never asked where he got them, or what brand they are. For all I know, they may be for a different application, and he put them on the EX. no dupont makes the kevlar from a chemical mix ,then they send it off the people to make stuff like tires,brake lines,etc....

RytM1
08-15-2002, 09:55 AM
Ok, thats cool, but I was only referring to Goodridge making/assembling them and distributing them. "Making" them was a literal term, I'm sure that Galfer doesn't make the actual steel braiding for the lines they "make" either. Just another example of how the people behind the scenes don't get the credit that they should I guess. LOL.

RytM1
08-15-2002, 11:42 AM
I got ahold of a rep at one of Goodridge's other offices. The part numbers that Mike had given me earlier, were for SS lines, so I deleted them off the previous post. After explaining to the rep my problem getting a distibutor to order them for me, she sold to me directly. She said that she would make a note to change the SS to kevlar liner (at an additional charge of course), and that either way, the lines would have a red protective covering on them, with silver fittings. There were a couple of parts that were out of stock, and she hoped to have these assembled and shipped by the end of next week.

I also explained the possibility of a number of orders coming from this site, if the product quality is good. She told me what she could do to accomodate the site, and I will talk to Leo about it as soon as I get the lines and do a little testing with them. Keep your fingers crossed.

Dave400ex
08-15-2002, 02:10 PM
Sweet let us know. I would like to get a good deal.

RytM1
08-29-2002, 09:20 PM
Ok, here's the latest. A few days after I placed the order, a Goodridge tech called me and asked what kind of riding I did, and why I wanted kevlar lines. When I told him, its mostly trail riding, he advised me against the kevlar. Seems that while the kevlar is stronger, it also makes it harder to crimp the connectors on the ends securely enough, so if I were to snag something with one of the lines, it might rip it out of the connector. It looks like a trade-off, a braided line that could get pinched and still give me some sort of braking power, or kevlar wheich could get snagged and give me none. Needless to say, I felt compelled to give in to the braided lines for durability purposes. I got the brake lines a few days later, and I was impressed. They were coated with a red, semi-transparent cover, and the ends where they connect to the calipers, have an extra red rubber hose coating on them to protect them. As soon as I get them installed I will get pics. Cost was about $65 for fronts, and $35 for rear.