PDA

View Full Version : New graphics, let me know what you think

sean94z
06-14-2006, 05:39 PM
I just finished putting on my new graphics and seat cover today. Here are some pics:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/sean94z/IMG_1159.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/sean94z/IMG_1157.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/sean94z/IMG_1156.jpg

I got the set for $66 on ebay. I used the soapy water and credit card trick to install them. I think they came out really nice, I am not sure if I am gonna keep the one on the hood though. Anyways let me know what you think.

ride red 14
06-14-2006, 05:41 PM
looks good

Bigun55
06-14-2006, 05:50 PM
I agree

Rogan91
06-14-2006, 05:50 PM
ya i like them 2. how much were they?? i got that same bumper.

Rogan91
06-14-2006, 05:52 PM
oh sry i just saw the $66 off ebay. but whats the credit card trick?

sean94z
06-14-2006, 06:14 PM
I read it on here in another thread. Basically you take a spray bottle and put a couple drops of soap in it. Then you spray the plastics and graphics a little so when you put them on you can move em around. Once you have them in place you use a credit card or something similar, I actually used my old college student ID, to squeegee the water and air out from underneath the graphics. The result is professional looking graphics with no air bubbles! I also used a hair dryer on the parts that bend, it heats up the graphics and allows them to form to the shape of the plastic better.

Rogan91
06-14-2006, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by sean94z
I read it on here in another thread. Basically you take a spray bottle and put a couple drops of soap in it. Then you spray the plastics and graphics a little so when you put them on you can move em around. Once you have them in place you use a credit card or something similar, I actually used my old college student ID, to squeegee the water and air out from underneath the graphics. The result is professional looking graphics with no air bubbles! I also used a hair dryer on the parts that bend, it heats up the graphics and allows them to form to the shape of the plastic better.

but doesnt the soap and water make the graphics not stick as well? but i have no idea, never put graphics on befor...

Franky G
06-14-2006, 06:30 PM
That a very good looking 400!! good job!:)

midnight
06-14-2006, 07:50 PM
I like it!!looks really good

sean94z
06-14-2006, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Rogan91
but doesnt the soap and water make the graphics not stick as well? but i have no idea, never put graphics on befor...

Well you barely use any soap, like a few drops in a squirt bottle of water. Yes the whole point is so they dont stick as well at first, but once the water evaporates they go back to full stickyness.

sean94z
06-14-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Franky G
That a very good looking 400!! good job!:)

Thanks, your quad is sweet also. How do you like that Yosh pipe? I have one on my CRF and have been thinking about getting one for the quad as well. Also what subframe is that? I noticed you have a removable grab bar.

BORY
06-14-2006, 08:02 PM
Well you barely use any soap, like a few drops in a squirt bottle of water. Yes the whole point is so they dont stick as well at first, but once the water evaporates they go back to full stickyness. dont take the easy way out be a man and do it dry thats what i did u just have to line a corner up and then go from there its easy and u dont have a mess all over IMO it was easy

hornetgod13
06-14-2006, 08:48 PM
The graphics kit looks great. I would keep the hood sticker. The seat cover looks fantastic too. You did a great job lining it up with the side stickers. How hard was it to install the seat cover? Did you remove the stock cover or is it still underneath? I've been thinking about getting this graphics kit for a while now. Any installation tips would be great.

06-14-2006, 09:06 PM
I like them all accept for the ones on the front fenders

sean94z
06-14-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
The graphics kit looks great. I would keep the hood sticker. The seat cover looks fantastic too. You did a great job lining it up with the side stickers. How hard was it to install the seat cover? Did you remove the stock cover or is it still underneath? I've been thinking about getting this graphics kit for a while now. Any installation tips would be great.

Thank you. I took my time to make sure everything lined up correctly. The seat cover is fairly simply, I removed the stock cover first. Then I slipped it on and worked my way back starting from the front. I have done this before though on previous bikes and also on my CRF which i still have. Despite what other people may say, I believe the best method for installing graphics is the water technique which I described above. I have installed graphics on quite a few bikes and have used the dry method as well. Having used both methods, the water is much easier. I only use water for the large pieces though, the small ones like the hood and front fenders I just stuck on. If you decide to get the graphics I am sure you will be happy as I am with them.

sean94z
06-14-2006, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Crath
I like them all accept for the ones on the front fenders

Yeah they are iffy for me as well. I do a lot of riding in the trees and bushes so those will probably get ripped off by a branch anyways, lol. Amazingly my plastic still looks pretty good considering all the abuse I put it through over the past year and a half.

Rogan91
06-14-2006, 10:03 PM
Yeah they are iffy for me as well. I do a lot of riding in the trees and bushes so those will probably get ripped off by a branch anyways, lol. Amazingly my plastic still looks pretty good considering all the abuse I put it through over the past year and a half.

oh ya, ive had my 400ex for 3 years and mainly did bush riding and my plastics are pretty bad. I would get new ones but im gonna get a trx450r in about a month. But ya once again lovin the graphics!

hornetgod13
06-15-2006, 10:54 PM
I just won an Ebay auction ($67.00) for the same exact kit. What kind of stapler and size staples did you use to secure the seat cover. How long did it take you to receive the kit in the mail? I can't wait to put it on. I hope it turns out as good as your did.

miller821
06-15-2006, 11:32 PM
Looks sick! You don't see many kits for the newer styles, but that one looks pretty good.

stalefish_132
06-16-2006, 12:06 AM
nice graphics! i'm pretty happy with mine i got from dmp, the are holding up great.

Wandell
06-16-2006, 12:37 PM
Looks good!

sean94z
06-18-2006, 02:29 PM
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback!

Originally posted by hornetgod13
I just won an Ebay auction ($67.00) for the same exact kit. What kind of stapler and size staples did you use to secure the seat cover. How long did it take you to receive the kit in the mail? I can't wait to put it on. I hope it turns out as good as your did.

I used a staple gun with 3/8" staples. They are a little longer than the stock ones but they worked fine. I think stock are like 1/4". Anyways it took about 4-5 days to receive them. Just take your time and do it right and they will come out lookin nice!

hornetgod13
06-19-2006, 03:30 PM
Sweet! Mine should be here soon. Thanks for the advice.

400eXr1d3rZ
06-19-2006, 04:20 PM
Well you barely use any soap, like a few drops in a squirt bottle of water. Yes the whole point is so they dont stick as well at first, but once the water evaporates they go back to full stickyness.

When the water evaporates wouldnt that cause water bubble becuase of the trapped water?

BillyBob
06-20-2006, 03:59 PM
ive got those same set of graphics for sale
they come with all the graphics and the seat cover and never been taken out of the package.
PMME if anyones interested.

sean94z
06-21-2006, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by 400eXr1d3rZ
When the water evaporates wouldnt that cause water bubble becuase of the trapped water?

Look at my pics, there are no air bubbles when you finish. This is why you use the card to squeegee out the excess water.

I got this idea from these threads:
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40370&highlight=install+graphics

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70030&highlight=install+graphics

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112872&highlight=install+graphics

I am telling you it works great, I have installed graphics quite a few times before.