PDA

View Full Version : 2006 450....electrical problems/junk

ChrisSekerak
06-14-2006, 12:37 PM
I am the owner of a 2006 Honda 450R.

I just recently have had a interesting electrical problem. I keep my bike in immaculate condition. Change the oil more than I should and so on.

I was riding it one day, put it back in the garage and put it away.
THe next day I went to start the bike....nothing.....no motor cranking over, no battery power, nothing.

Everyone was like "oh your battery is dead." I took the battery to the dealer and the battery was at 95% CHARGE.

So now I have to take the entire bike in to the dealer and wait until it's fixed.

Does anyone else have this issue? Or does anyone else even have a suggestion on what this may be?

Any help is grealty appreciated.

I shoulda waited for the kicker

450ERRRRRR!
06-14-2006, 12:57 PM
So you have a problem and now it's junk.
Do yourself a favor and dont get married. Dont have any kids, there brats! Dont get a dog,he"ll bite you.

Did you check the fuse?

400exrider707
06-14-2006, 01:44 PM
Alot of 06 e-starts are having major issues with starting. Out of the three I saw at my local race this past weekend two had to be pop started before the race, while the third worked flawlessly. ???:confused:

roundsy
06-14-2006, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by 450ERRRRRR!
Did you check the fuse?

yea sounds like the fuse blew

Flyin-Low
06-14-2006, 02:26 PM
Man, please dont call a quad junk because of a TINY problem like that. If you had even one of the problems ive had with my EX you would probably go into the fetal position and cry.

-Martin

Dave400ex
06-14-2006, 02:55 PM
I haven't heard of any problems like this. Hopefully it is something simple. I have yet to have any problems with mine, rather then it just being slow or not starting when it's hot.

QuadRacer041
06-14-2006, 03:00 PM
i heard if its in gear it wont start.............:rolleyes:

lumi
06-14-2006, 08:09 PM
i laugh at lot of time not on this thread but alot what people say about the 06 er. i havent had one fo the issues people say nor does my cuzin and or uncle with his. they all start and run great. and yes they do start in gear.

-lumi

ChrisSekerak
06-14-2006, 08:10 PM
yes I've checked the fuse....the fuse is fine. I have traced the electrical wires from the battery up to the front of the bike.

it's not junk, i'm just frustrated because it ran fine a few days ago.

440ex kid
06-14-2006, 09:20 PM
Actually I do some work on his bike for him, mostly because I have the tools. This problem is kind of strange. I turned the key on in neutral, hit the start button and it cranked one time and the quit. Its as if the battery does not have enough charge to turn over the bike. The funny part is though, we had the charger on it all day, tried starting the bike again with the same results. The fuse is not blown, and I saw no problem with the wires under the hood. I didnt look at the ones under the gas tank.

I dont know what it is. Maybe a short fried the battery? I have never seen this problem on any quad, let alone a 450.

atvdude
06-15-2006, 02:29 AM
maybe it has something to do with the saftey switch in the throttle housing? just a thought.

4ABURN
06-15-2006, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by atvdude
maybe it has something to do with the saftey switch in the throttle housing? just a thought.

I think thats were I would look next, there are a couple of them.Have you done the trouble shooting in the back of the manual.(not that its great):(

ChrisSekerak
06-15-2006, 06:36 AM
I have it scheduled to go in on next this coming monday. I'm done messing with it for now, it just makes me mad that it's so nice out and my bike is just sitting there!!!

I'm sure it's something very simple, or I hope!

Coolidge
06-15-2006, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by 450ERRRRRR!
So you have a problem and now it's junk.
Do yourself a favor and dont get married. Dont have any kids, there brats! Dont get a dog,he"ll bite you.

:D ....I was just thinkin' the same thing

DRT
06-15-2006, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by atvdude

I had that problem with mine .It just cranks over but never fires.

I did notice something that looks like a starter solenoid or is a starter solenoid? located just above the battery.You tested your battery but if the solenoid is bad its not gonna give power to the starter.

Diedrich
06-16-2006, 01:38 PM
mine works awesome...never had a problem with my electric start..it'll start in gear but its alot easier to start in neutral...i think have the problems with em startin is the people riding em

tltcracing
06-16-2006, 06:23 PM
i dont know much about wireing but did you check the ground? i dont know if that would help, like i said i dont know much.

rap169
06-16-2006, 06:41 PM
yes def check the ground. Ive seen alot of electric start atvs not turn over due to bad grounds.

shaff107
07-11-2006, 05:33 AM
your starter clutch is out ..... mine did the same thing right before i sold the POS ...

07-11-2006, 06:42 AM
when i bought mine in februaury, it satarted for the service tech to load it in my truck. i got it home and changed a few things. the tried to start it. dead battery. i put the battery on a charger fro a few hours util it said full charge. it started up. thena na hour later, i tried again. again i had a dead battery so i called the dealership and asked what they wanted me to do...bring the whole bike out of just the battery.

we decided on just the battery. the dealership tested the battery. under full charge with No load, it was putting out 12 volts. with a load, the output voltage dropped to between 8 and 10 volts. they had 3 other batteries there. they tested them all with the same results. they put them all on their quick chargers and then retested them.

i ended up coming home with the best of the 4 batteries, and it was not my original battery. now this was februaury adn it sat in my truck for a about four hours before i could put it in the bike. of course it eas dead. i put it on my charger over night and againfor the next 2 nights and have not had a problem with it since.

ChrisSekerak
07-11-2006, 08:03 AM
my issue ended up being the decompression spring broke in the motor, so the battery did not have enough juice to start the bike with all the compression.

Dealer told me not under warrenty because I installed the HRC kit myself, even though it was installed correctly, I had to pay $200.

BSTURDIVANT
07-13-2006, 10:35 AM
We've seen 3 '06 decompressor springs break and a few '05s-
Honda should warrenty them!!!

DieselBoy
07-14-2006, 02:26 PM
electrical problems will drive you to pull your hair out and lose your mind...literally. did you get it fixed yet?

in my opinion, with all the "safety" components, it makes it very hard to diagnose problems. And the fact that buying any electrical part to make sure, your stuck with it (no returns).

ChrisSekerak
07-14-2006, 09:37 PM
quad is fixed, owell.

DieselBoy
07-14-2006, 10:51 PM
glad its fixed