PDA

View Full Version : DiamondJCustoms

Ern
06-14-2006, 09:57 AM
Would anyone reccomend them? I was looking at getting there extension and shock relocator for my 300ex? I figure 220 is a really good deal to get my setup a little wider and get a chance to put 400ex shocks on it.

Whatcha think?

rooster300ex
06-14-2006, 10:34 AM
I like there shock relocater, but i didn't like the look of the widening kit. I contacted them onetime and they said they have put them kits through some pretty tough stuff. But for alil over 200 bucks its a good deal. I would use some 450r shocks or yfz shocks with that widening kit. 400ex shocks would prolly be to soft for ya.

300ex_#387
06-14-2006, 12:05 PM
I have been running the relocator for about a year now and haven't had any problems so far. Just by the looks of the widening kit I wouldn't recomend it. You would be better off getting extended a arms.

Ern
06-14-2006, 01:55 PM
I wish someone could speak on this that has that widening kit.

300ex16
06-14-2006, 04:16 PM
i had the widening kit on my 250ex that i raced mx and it held up good there is another member on this site atvfrk10 he had one on his 250ex he also raced mx

atvfrk10
06-14-2006, 08:24 PM
Yea they work good and and are very strong; you would bend the a-arm before the kit, but if your a serious rider then just get extended a-arms and new shocks.

300ex mxracer
06-15-2006, 08:14 AM
i would not recommend the widening kit for any jumping or racing. i trashed a frame last year because on of the widening things broke and let the a arm hit and break the frame, causing me and the quad to go for a little tumble and bend the frame somemore.

rooster300ex
06-15-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by atvfrk10
Yea they work good and and are very strong; you would bend the a-arm before the kit, but if your a serious rider then just get extended a-arms and new shocks.

Like this guy is sayin, if you goto the track and race and hit doubles and triples and stuff dont' get it. get extended a-arms and some good shocks.

87HONDATRX250X
11-10-2008, 04:39 PM
I was thinking of getting these. Im not a really good rider so i was thinking of getting these till i can buy some a-arms. I dont hit doubles or anything.

P.S. if you get them upload some pics. O and if i got them with the shock thing could i bottom out my frame???

11-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Shock relocater is good but the widning kit is bad even if it is strong. I would only get it if you do flat track.

The kit pushes your A-arms farther out and that is BAD! You want your A-arms to be close together which is why some aftermarket frames are skinnier up front. The farther the A-arms are apart the worse it will handle.

And for the price of that kit you could buy a set of used extended A-arms. And I think 400ex A-arms can be mounted on a 300ex and make it wider and stock 400ex A-arms are dirt cheep and so are stock 400ex front shocks.

87HONDATRX250X
11-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by ltr450fly
Shock relocater is good but the widning kit is bad even if it is strong. I would only get it if you do flat track.

The kit pushes your A-arms farther out and that is BAD! You want your A-arms to be close together which is why some aftermarket frames are skinnier up front. The farther the A-arms are apart the worse it will handle.

And for the price of that kit you could buy a set of used extended A-arms. And I think 400ex A-arms can be mounted on a 300ex and make it wider and stock 400ex A-arms are dirt cheep and so are stock 400ex front shocks.

How much wider will it make my quad:confused:

11-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by 87HONDATRX250X
How much wider will it make my quad:confused:

I think 3" total. Theirs alot of info on the net about the 300ex A-arm swap and front and rear shock swaps on 300ex's.

guinness77
11-11-2008, 10:12 PM
I own the Diamond J Customs A-Arm extension pkg. I got the 4".

First off comes installation. Be aware that the 4" extension is four inches PER SIDE; NOT OVERALL. The install was on a 400ex. The install went pretty smooth. Essentially, the a-arms and upper shock mounts are move outward from the frame 4". The plate pieces lined up perfectly. As I tightened them down the frame brackets did bend just a bit. But nothing that couldn't easily be fixed with a pair of lock-jaws in the event I wanted to take them off. The brake lines must be unclipped from the a-arms and the c-clips on the calipers. The banjo bolt does fine without the extra clamps. When the quad is lifted from the ground and the tires turned so-as to pull the brake lines tight, the lines are long enough to do the job. BUT THAT'S IT. Another 1/2 inch and the lines would be so tight as-to-be unsafe. So it'll work in the typical jumping and twisting. But in a crash, all bets are off. A stock oil tank won't interfere with install. But if you have an aftermarket high-capacity tank, well... better get some longer tank bolts and some spacers... say... 1/4 inch. That'll make the a-arm extension brackets clear the tank by 2 or 3 millimeters. The instructions were woefully poor. But a mechanically inclined person could do it. You must layout all parts very carefully before installing. Install takes about 4 hrs. The bolts are 1.5 inches longer than they need to be and I was short a couple of washers. But neither of those issues were any problem.

After install came ride time. Moving the a-arms out 4" softened the shocks up front.. that's for sure! But it was nothing the couldn't be compensated for by even a medeocre rider. Stiffen the shocks by adjusting them.

The 400ex handles MUCH better now. There's very little lean when you're in a corner. The quad likes to track flat when you're going around anything.

I'm slowly increasing the air on my jumps and I'm detecting no stress as of yet. The metal on those brackets is 1/4 inch thick. So that ought to handle just about anything.

The trade off is in the tight trails. An extra 8" in width is quite a bit. Be careful. Watch out for those trees.