PDA

View Full Version : too good to be true? (ebay)

theTman
06-14-2006, 03:43 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HondaTRX-250R-motor-LRD-K-K-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ4650310498QQcategoryZ43977QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

:eek2: 99 cents, im sure it will go up a few hundred though

stoled_400_:(
06-14-2006, 07:01 AM
yeah, its still got 5 days left... but that would be pretty sweet though if no one bid on it :)

Cr85rRida
06-14-2006, 07:06 AM
shipping is 125 hes getting some money weven if no one bids, but he could easily get 300 for it.

250Renvy
06-14-2006, 11:11 AM
Gaurantee he gets no less than $500 for it. I hate when they charge flat rate shipping - especially if it's high.

TampaBoy813
06-14-2006, 11:19 AM
I sent a 426F motor to Cali from Florida for a little under $25 UPS ground....hes sticking it to some one good!

250-R-250
06-14-2006, 11:29 AM
He is a good seller though, and has quality parts.

zedicus00
06-14-2006, 11:43 AM
they arent big but are heavy. they dont cost near 125 to ship unless yur sending it to the boonies U.S.A..... unless you use fedex or USPS, thouse 2 places are a bad joke on their best day.

Meat
06-14-2006, 12:23 PM
here's the deal with the shipping costs. You clearly state $125 for shipping. That $125 shipping cost will be factored into the final selling price of the motor..... uhhh let me give an example here....

Two senarios here.....
Lets say the guy wants $50 bucks to ship a motor.
The market for this motor will allow it to sell for $550 bucks.
$550 bucks plus $50 for shipping equals $600. The dude has $600 dollars comin' for the motor.
Follow me so far ??

Ok, so now that the motor sold for $550, the seller will have to pay Ebay a percentage on the $550 selling price(Ebays fee). Boo hisssss, thats a nice chunk of change:(

Now the alternative senario.... what this dude is doing... Pre-state the shipping really high.... say $200 for shipping. The market(bidders) will factor in the $200 shipping price and this time the motor only gets bid up to $400. The seller gets $600 dollars total.... again, just like the first senario. The difference tho is the Ebay fees. Instead of paying Ebay a percentage of $550 dollars, now he will only have to pay Ebay a percentage of $400. Ebay does not charge thier fees with shipping prices included, they only base thier fee on the final selling price. In either senario the market determines the cost of the motor\shipping to be $600, the sellers gets $600 dollars no matter which way he decides to sell it, but the smart way to do things is the keep the selling price low to keep the Ebay fees in check, and make up the difference in a prestated high shipping cost.

make sense:ermm:

stoled_400_:(
06-14-2006, 01:35 PM
yup that made perfect sense to me. good point

atvmxr
06-14-2006, 01:42 PM
not to smart to post that link, now I am bidding on it too!

just kidding, well maybe

Tom TRX250R
06-14-2006, 01:44 PM
It makes sense but not really considering when people see that they are discouraged to bid on it because of the high shipping cost unless of course it goes for cheap then the buyer will factor that in and make a decision. What I do in my ebay auctions, and I have sold a lot of things is offer the buyer ACTUAL shipping costs which after the auction ends, I use the buyers zip code and the package and determine the exact to the penny amount they will have to pay. I think that is the only fair way to go. I have been selling things since '02 and have perfect feedback, that could be why:)

250Renvy
06-14-2006, 01:57 PM
In that case might as well put a buy it now of $5 and shipping at $595. I've seen auctions like that, but I don't think ebay likes it and they may take it down.

Meat
06-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
In that case might as well put a buy it now of $5 and shipping at $595. I've seen auctions like that, but I don't think ebay likes it and they may take it down.

Yes that is common practice on Ebay. Its usually done with cheaper priced items and from sellers who sell ALOT of cheap items. This practice is not done often with ATV parts, so the ATV crowd is less familar with the technique. Example... A dude has a used CD-ROM drive thats worth say $10-$13 bucks. He'll offer it up with a "Buy It Now" price of .99 cents and charge $12 dollars shipping. No one is getting "ripped off" because of high shipping costs..... you guys gotta see that. No ones getting ripped off because in the end.... your still shelling out $13 bucks for the CD-ROM.

Meat
06-14-2006, 06:40 PM
It makes sense but not really considering when people see that they are discouraged to bid on it because of the high shipping cost

People who would be discouraged by the high shipping costs.... are the same people who replied to this thread before I explained the "high shipping cost trick". The saying goes "you learn something new every day", Im glad to have helped explain something new:) maybe you'll score some nice parts cheaply because the un-informed got spooked by the shipping cost;)

motox450
06-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Meat
Yes that is common practice on Ebay. Its usually done with cheaper priced items and from sellers who sell ALOT of cheap items. This practice is not done often with ATV parts, so the ATV crowd is less familar with the technique. Example... A dude has a used CD-ROM drive thats worth say $10-$13 bucks. He'll offer it up with a "Buy It Now" price of .99 cents and charge $12 dollars shipping. No one is getting "ripped off" because of high shipping costs..... you guys gotta see that. No ones getting ripped off because in the end.... your still shelling out $13 bucks for the CD-ROM.

You are absolutely correct. It is very very common for people who sell car parts on ebay to have a seemingly high shipping cost and a .99-$5 buy it now. This is very very common on air intakes for cars. It is totally legal and a way for the big sellers to save ebay seller fees

SET THE STAGE
06-14-2006, 06:58 PM
yeah i saw that on there too, i might bid on it. although i already have an LRD, i'll probably just sell mine because that one's a bit newer than mine.

PYF
06-14-2006, 08:59 PM
Completely unrelated to the topic but...

TOM TRX250R...aren't you tom-honda250r on ebay?

If it's the case, I bought from you lol :D

Sorry for the out-of-context post lol:p

Tom TRX250R
06-15-2006, 10:38 AM
That would be me:p , what did you buy from me because I shipped several things to Canada?