PDA

View Full Version : predator vs. raptor 660

jrb400ex
06-13-2006, 07:33 PM
i'm looking into getting a used quad. i have a 400ex with a bunch of stuff done to it. i was wondering how the raptor 660 and the predator compared in top speed and in power.

smokinwrench
06-13-2006, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by jrb400ex
i'm looking into getting a used quad. i have a 400ex with a bunch of stuff done to it. i was wondering how the raptor 660 and the predator compared in top speed and in power.

I had a 400ex with stage 2 cam , wisco pisotn, velocity intake. I could whomp all over a piped raptor in every way shape and form as far as trails and track went.

The 660 is a joke when comparing it to a predator.

wolffie
06-14-2006, 06:42 AM
from MY experiences, the TLD pred will out handle the raptor any day because it has a much wider front end, wider axle, and amazing suspension (Fox shocks)

The pred revvs alot faster than the raptor (especially the TLD with its lower gearing) but overall the raptor has a much greater top speed. My friend has a 660 and we always swap/ride each others vehicles. he pretty much has the same opinion as me when it comes to the raptor vs. the pred; the raptor scoots in the top end.

the TLD pred is great, but you really need to get rid of the stock intake and pipe it to let her breathe a bit more. if it is an 03 check and see if the frame is in good condition because the frames needed a couple of extra gussets.

The 660 in MY opinion needs a wider axle and some better suspension. the power is great, and if you put a more high performance intake and exhaust on it, it will be more than enough power for the trails. just be warned that the 01-03 raptors have some issues (i dont know for certain but some have tranny issues, one way bearings, go to the raptor section and ask someone ;)

if you can find a raptor or pred for a reasonable price used get what you like. if you just plan on running your quad the way it is, but a TLD pred. if you plan on putting some cash into your quad anyways, i would go with the raptor. you need about $500 for a pair of shocks and perhaps some rear wheel spacers. a K@N would be alright too. get what you like and have fun!

preddymoto
06-14-2006, 08:28 AM
sorry wolffie but i have never had a raptor beat me.(stock vs. stock) they are dogs. low end to top speed. my friends have raptors and z 400 and kfx 400. the 400 whoop the raptors too.

wolffie
06-14-2006, 01:26 PM
in a drag, i feel the raptor has a greater top speed. but in a drag only. when it comes to riding woods, trails, or mx the pred is deffinetly a strong choice as compared to the 400's and the 660.(and the 450's walk over everything else) again, this is MY opinion from my personal experiences ;)

Blue_Streak23
06-14-2006, 01:37 PM
I have a raptor 660, and race Woffie often. In a drag, they will stay mostly equal(the predator might be a little in front), until the raptor hits 4th gear where it pulls away. The predator has a much nicer low end though.

As far as racing 400's. I have never raced a z400 or kfx 400, but a 400ex which is a little slower than the other two, I diestory. The 400ex isn't even competion for the raptor or predator.

Stock vs. stock, I owning a raptor (which i love) would still lean towards the predator TLD because of its great low-end and suspension.

They are both great machines! Thats just my $.02 from experience.

preddymoto
06-14-2006, 10:14 PM
look at your mods. stock to stock the pred beats the raptor. we have proved that time after time
Originally posted by Blue_Streak23
I have a raptor 660, and race Woffie often. In a drag, they will stay mostly equal(the predator might be a little in front), until the raptor hits 4th gear where it pulls away. The predator has a much nicer low end though.

As far as racing 400's. I have never raced a z400 or kfx 400, but a 400ex which is a little slower than the other two, I diestory. The 400ex isn't even competion for the raptor or predator.

Stock vs. stock, I owning a raptor (which i love) would still lean towards the predator TLD because of its great low-end and suspension.

They are both great machines! Thats just my $.02 from experience.

wolffie
06-15-2006, 08:38 AM
at any rate, they are both great machines for trail riding. just get whatever you like;)

preddymoto
06-15-2006, 10:58 AM
exactly right wolffie. they all have their pro's and con's. it's all rider preference.

1Sikk700r
06-20-2006, 02:03 AM
Dont race a 700r they arent the same as a 660. I dust polaris predator *** and so does my 86 trx 250r that has half the cc.:devil:

wolffie
06-20-2006, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by 1Sikk700r
I dust polaris predator *** and so does my 86 trx 250r that has half the cc.:devil:

right, and a modded 480 yfz and quadzilla will eat you for breakfast. who cares who is faster, just ride hard and have fun with what you got. there are tons of quads "faster" than other quads.

and honestly, when it comes to true racing on a track or gncc course, it is more of the rider than anything;) 2Cents

1Sikk700r
06-20-2006, 09:33 PM
My 01 kx 500 will eat both of those doing a wheelie @ 100 mph. I do have fun and that what its all about but you have to talk some sh%* else its not fun. Oh and that mod 480 wont beat my 700r or my 250r which is a 310 esr race motor with 55 hp and 15hp nos. 450's arent reliable you have to maintain them too much especially a 480 they have too much compression. I like to ride not put $ in to them just to make them run. I'm a moto mechanic and those 450's are great bikes but too much maint. My trx310 is more reliable and its a 2 stroke.

Taker easy!:D

CHEVYZ
06-21-2006, 05:09 AM
450s are very reliable bikes. Maintain them well, and it is pretty easy to see. I agree that you have to do more frequent maintainance than other due mostly to design, but that does not make them unreliable. JMO

wolffie
06-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by 1Sikk700r
My 01 kx 500 will eat both of those doing a wheelie @ 100 mph. I do have fun and that what its all about but you have to talk some sh%* else its not fun. Oh and that mod 480 wont beat my 700r or my 250r which is a 310 esr race motor with 55 hp and 15hp nos. 450's arent reliable you have to maintain them too much especially a 480 they have too much compression. I like to ride not put $ in to them just to make them run. I'm a moto mechanic and those 450's are great bikes but too much maint. My trx310 is more reliable and its a 2 stroke.

Taker easy!:D

right. alls i'm saying is pretty much there will be some machine out there that will beat the machine you have (it goes for everyone) anyone can talk ***** about whose machine cranks out more power, but the true test is around a track. that is MY opinion anyways. im not trying to start *****, just throwin my opinion out;)

yamadjs08
06-21-2006, 01:30 PM
Time for my input on this.:p

I have put quite a bit of time on both of these machines, and the predator handles better by far, of course. It is much wider, much better suspension, and well better tires from the factory too. But as far as power, I think the 660 has a bit more power than the predator. The predator might rev a little faster, but for a 500cc machine, they have absolutely no low end power. The 660 has all the low end you would ever need. They both have reverse (depending on which year predator you get). I would go with the 660 if I were you, yeah it doesnt have as nice as supsension, but IMO its over all a better, more reliable machine than the predator. You normally end up buying new shocks anyways, the FOX shocks that come on predators are nice, much better than say factory yamaha shocks, but they are not what I would consider an aftermarket shock.

Either way you should be able to pick either of them cheap, 01-02 raptors are going dirt cheap, and 03-04 predators are going even cheaper.:o

1Sikk700r
06-21-2006, 03:54 PM
Yamadjs108 I'm not talking about a 660, they suck I'm talking about the 700r. Yea maybe the 660 is a match for the predator but not the 700r. The 700r has the same suspension set up as the yfz450 except the front shocks , if your talking stock to stock so there is no way a pedator handles as good. The 660 was a piece o sh*% ! why do you think Yamaha doesnt make it any more? I would take a predator over a 660, but the 700r is in my opion a much better bike. I have done a test ride with polaris's corporate office and thier bike designers on a test track and rode the outlaw and a preditor and didnt like the power. The outlaw however did impress me but, was a little on the heave side and made it hard to throw around but good in the trails. They should have upped the power if they were going to add the weight The polaris and raptor are not mx track bikes so why would you ride them on it, and stock 450 will smoke a predator, and for a 500cc , the one I'm talking about is a Kx 500 dirt bike 2 stroke and if you have riddin one you would know that they have tons of torque. You can ride that bike up comp hill in the dunes in 5th gear and it pulls all the way and pull a whellie at a 100+mph . Just like a cr500/ Thats torque.

Alpredator
06-21-2006, 06:41 PM
First off I would never use the word torque to describe a two stroke even if it is a 500. I use to have a kx 500 and a crf450 and the 450 would walk all over the 500. A stock predator will beat stock 450s and my predator will destroy your 700. Hows that for trash talk, oh but its not trash talk its fact.

1Sikk700r
06-21-2006, 08:28 PM
Dude your lost in the world of make believe. There is no way that a stock predator has a chance against a yfz or a trx 450 your trippin, plus who rides stock? MMMM....... nobody I know, and for you to say you had a kx 500 and your crf 450 would walk all over it, your on acid or your cum drunk. Crf 450's have about 45 hp the kx and cr 500 had hp ratings in the mid to high 60's. Your 500 must have had you as the mechanic and that's why it couldnt keep up or due to rider error which is a factor, or you didnt know how to ride the kx 500. The head designers @ polaris said that the predator wasn't as fast as the 700r or the 450, but you know all this right. The predator is heavyer and has less hp but your the genious here and cant figure simple math called power to weight ratio. Keep riding your gay polaris and get your facts straight before you talk sh%* and make your self look even more stupid. :devil:

Alpredator
06-21-2006, 10:15 PM
Come on man your a mechanic? I think a GED would sute you better. The 05 honda crf 450 dry weight is 218lbs hp is 55. The 99 kx 500 dry weight is 233lbs hp is 55. The weight to hp ratio is in favor of the crf. So STFU you dumb MMI dropout.

1Sikk700r
06-21-2006, 11:58 PM
Your a pole smoker, 2 stroke hp is different than 4 stroke horse power, ya everheard of a 2stroke powerband jackoff. 500's have more power than 55 but, your the expert and your the pro right. They may weight a whole 15lbs different but 65hp is where the difference is. Talking about stuff you have no clue about . Learn how to ride first off. My uncle used to race in the score desert races on a 85 cr 500 that was a 110mph+ bike so they have been around the family since I was 10yrs old and now he has the 450 for the mx track cuz its a better track bike than a 500 but not faster in a wide open race. We race all the time up comp hill and I know he is a good rider unlike most weekend riders and I smoke him everytime we drag race. I get my facts from experience and pros, you must just read dirt rider magazines and think you know what your talking about. You are a waste of time to talk to. I am done talking to you, and this consversation is going no where plus its getting childish. This conversation never included you or was directed to you. Infact, I have no clue who the Fu%* invited you in to this conversation, not me! Not anyone else, so talk smack to your boyfriend. Have fun riding your ***etass quad. Now get back to working the back door at the gay bar ***et. :D

1Sikk700r
06-22-2006, 12:16 AM
Oh, real quick Analpredator, I mean Alpredator, If I need a GED than you need to go back to kindergarden and learn how to spell. Your profile says ( manufactoring grade stakes). Your a Dumba**!

Its manufacturing

Grade Stakes, sounds like a tough Alabami job try pulling a trans apart or maybe a motor a 100 times, thats takes skill if it werent for bike mechanics your bike wouldnt run but Im sure you know all about your bike and never need help cuz you a stake maker.
Did you even need to finish Preschool to get that job

:devil:

CHEVYZ
06-22-2006, 09:28 AM
Wow... this is going downhill. Maybe you guys that are arguing need to be a little more open minded and just let it go. If you want to put an end to it, take it to the strip. Back and forth arguments never get to anything except a locked thread.:ermm:

wolffie
06-22-2006, 09:34 AM
CHEVYZ is right. this started out as a fine informational thread. if you guys want to argue, settle it on a track, or throw down some fists somewhere else. just dont ruin the rest of the thread for others :ermm:

QuadJunkies
06-22-2006, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by wolffie
CHEVYZ is right. this started out as a fine informational thread. if you guys want to argue, settle it on a track, or throw down some fists somewhere else. just dont ruin the rest of the thread for others :ermm:

Agreed!!!!...Keep it clean and dont be so rude guys! .

With the right Rider Yes- IT CAN BE DONE . People seem to forget that part..

My Husband won alot of races with his Predator

QuadJunkies
06-22-2006, 10:01 AM
1sikk700r~~

I see you have a personal preference in your machine and thats fine... But out of EVERY SINGLE post you have made, you have had ome kind of smack talk in it... I suggest if you plan on sticking around you make a few POSITIVE replys or your stay will be short lived.

CHEVYZ
06-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Agreed!!!

1Sikk700r
06-22-2006, 03:46 PM
chevyz- good man first off I love chevy's. you keep saying stuff about spelling. I type fast and dont really care to much about spelling, sorry it bothers u so much but its not a spelling bee so lighten up a bit.

and for Quad junkies I am sorry if you are affended at the things I said but, alpredator started bieng a jerk to me out of know where. I never said anything to him in the first place so sorry to you if your affended by my comments. When there is a post "predator VS Raptor", what do you expect. there is going to be trash talk. But this guy Alpredator got everything he asked for. I never posted anything to him he just attacked my response to someone else's reply, cause he has a predator and got his butt hurt. Yes I do talk trash but in a harmless way ! At first It was cool to post stuff untill Alpredator keep talking crap about my stuff. Yama/ and wolf didnt take it so personal and they were cool , some people just get more butt hurt than others. Also quad Junkies you say my stay will be short lived, but nothing to alpredator. Thats not cool he's just as much a part of this as I am. I at least try and justify logic with personal experience and reality but he just quick to cut me down an looses track off the topic quick to make insults, so I thought I would reply back.

CHEVYZ
06-22-2006, 03:57 PM
LOL, thanks. The part about spelling is a part of my signature, and is not directed towards anyone in particular.

QuadJunkies
06-22-2006, 04:04 PM
Im not gonna sit and Argue and its not up for debate... I ALREADY said to keep it clean GUYS-that means EVERYONE ..its as simply as that ...... Its not up for debate, Trash talk is simply that ...TRASH..!!! I for one HATE IT and Ill close it down if it doesnt stop. There wasnt any freindly fun in what I read and its nothing more than a flame waitng to happen... NUFF SAID

As for it offended me, actually it was reported by three other members, so it obviously offended others.

I personally know what a Predator will do ,we have had both I also have rode a few raptors... I have raced it and I have compared it to my 440ex. I dont need to flame about what each quad can do- I already know .

MAaudioX10
06-22-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Im not gonna sit and Argue and its not up for debate... I ALREADY said to keep it clean GUYS-that means EVERYONE ..its as simply as that ...... Its not up for debate, Trash talk is simply that ...TRASH..!!! I for one HATE IT and Ill close it down if it doesnt stop. There wasnt any freindly fun in what I read and its nothing more than a flame waitng to happen... NUFF SAID

As for it offended me, actually it was reported by three other members, so it obviously offended others.

I personally know what a Predator will do ,we have had both I also have rode a few raptors... I have raced it and I have compared it to my 440ex. I dont need to flame about what each quad can do- I already know .

Amen!

P.S. We miss ya over at Predowners

QuadJunkies
06-22-2006, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by MAaudioX10
Amen!

P.S. We miss ya over at Predowners

Awe shucks...:)

Alpredator
06-22-2006, 05:19 PM
I feel that I have a right to give my opinion on the subject because I own a predator. I am not going to sit here and read a lot of bull**** from this tard when he does not have a predator or 660.

QuadJunkies
06-22-2006, 05:23 PM
an opinion-YES... We WELCOME those!!:p
Trash,flaming and ignorant replies -NOT.

Everyone is going ot have there OWN opinions on what they feel is superb.... Even a Test riders opinion doesnt make it "LAW " that AGAIN is bias and totaly an opinion on how that rider felt on that machine. I despies some of the write ups for that reason alone... One month, the Honda wins... The next month the honda sucks... OR-another mag will say COMLPELTY the opposite of what another mag will say...

As for MX....Whats wrong with MX on a Predator??!!

IT CAN BE DONE:D To each there own!

enjoy ride of preference!!

CHEVYZ
06-22-2006, 05:28 PM
Woot woot... LOL.:p

QuadJunkies
06-22-2006, 05:28 PM
.:o

QuadJunkies
06-22-2006, 05:33 PM
Too much DRAMA....