PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help- Weird problem

FreekShow
06-13-2006, 06:21 PM
my computer went completely crazy playing counter-strike one day.... all my windows files went corrupt, ok so i try to reinstall windows and when it got to about 65% it said that the file couldnt be copied, so i skipped that file and about 50 others couldnt be copied and then it aborted, ok fine, i put my harddrive into another computer and set up windows just fine with no problems at all and windows worked completely fine, I then swapped the harddrive back into my original computer and i get a blue screen that says there was a problem with windows so i bought a brand new motherboard ( same one i have) and it still does it. I have also tried every jumper setting on the harddrive, replaced the IDE cable with brand new ones, took out a ram stick that i put in(512) as well as my video card. I also tried 4 different harddrives in my computer and i get the blue screen on every one of them even though they work completely fine in other computers. I'm still convinced it is the motherboard so i ordered a much better motherboard but i just wanted some input...

06-13-2006, 06:23 PM
I say just buy a new one for Dell. They aren't that expensive. If you want a gaming computer, by the 4800. Haven't checked it recently, but it should be under 1000.

SGA
06-14-2006, 01:06 AM
I read about something like that recently, same problem as you. He changed the CPU and it ran smooth as butter.

FreekShow
06-14-2006, 04:09 AM
I was thinking the CPU but then again, would the computer even function at all without it?

j_cyrus3
06-14-2006, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by FreekShow
I was thinking the CPU but then again, would the computer even function at all without it?

No, it wouldn't...Maybe the disc you are installing from is scratched and can't read the files?

ballisticpb
06-14-2006, 09:16 AM
if you are still booting off the hard drive that windows was installed on another computer it will blue screen every time... windows installs all the drivers for the hardware thats in the other computer and then when you put it back in the original computer it tries to load the other drivers and locks up...

now with the error on your windows install.. could be a scratched disk, could be a bad sector on the hard drive..i would borrow a copy of windows from a friend and see if it helps.

did you install windows over the top of the old or did you format your drive and start from scratch?

Iliketogofast
06-14-2006, 10:17 AM
Solution to all of yours and anyone elses computer problems: Format the HDD and go buy Mac OS X

SGA
06-14-2006, 10:43 AM
Thats what I would think too, if the CPU was acting up, it wouldnt go at all. But in that guys case, it was a small glitch in the CPU which caused corrupted data on the hard drive. Thats pretty rare though.

I agree with ballisticpb, do a fresh format/xp install on your comp. If that doesnt work, then look for hardware probs.

With all that youve done, it should not take long to fiqure out. You say your HD works fine in another comp. I doubt its the new motherboard, both the old one and the new one would not likely have the same problem. Its something that you have reused from the old motherboard/ system on the new motherboard causing problems. Powersupply, ram, cpu or xp disk.

Keep us posted on what you find.

FreekShow
06-14-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by ballisticpb
if you are still booting off the hard drive that windows was installed on another computer it will blue screen every time... windows installs all the drivers for the hardware thats in the other computer and then when you put it back in the original computer it tries to load the other drivers and locks up...

now with the error on your windows install.. could be a scratched disk, could be a bad sector on the hard drive..i would borrow a copy of windows from a friend and see if it helps.

did you install windows over the top of the old or did you format your drive and start from scratch?

Ok, so what do u think i should do about the drivers, i formated the drive and installed clean, the xp disc just wont install right in my computer but it will in another computer.

zedicus00
06-14-2006, 01:24 PM
easy, put the hd in the computer that u installed xp with. pop open regedit browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002 and delete enum there.

then shut down swap the hd into the flakky comp boot it up and start tapping the F8 key, you should get a list of boot options, one of them being "boot last known good configuration" choose that one, windows will boot and rescan for drivers...

i am to computers what jesse james is to choppers... atleest thas what my friends tell me.

also the original problem could be caused by a ton of things, from ram, cpu, MB, crappy power supply.... but did you try getting a new cd rom drive? sounds like that one is hanging up about 1/3 the way into the track. you can take it apart and clean the rails if you know what yur doing....

AND whatever you do DONT buy a dell.

apples USE to be good computers, then they switched to intel cpu's...

FreekShow
06-14-2006, 03:56 PM
ok so u think that will fix my blue screen of death? another thing is will i have to have my motherboard drivers previously installed on the motherboard because if my new motherboard comes and i havent installed the drivers what happens when i cant get past the blue screen to install them? or will that file process ur talking about work regardless?

omaits
06-14-2006, 05:04 PM
RAM is almost always the culprilt when your machine acts this unpredictable. If you have 2 sticks, try one without the other. If the problem persits, try the other one alone.

The only real advice I can give you is to make sure you know what the problem is before you buy a bunch of stuff based on the adivce of people on here. The only help any one on here could give would be an educated guess (more often, it is a uneducated guess).

FreekShow
06-14-2006, 06:12 PM
Have 2 ram sticks and ive tried using only 1 of them at a time and i have done it with both so... i can say its not the ram

zedicus00
06-14-2006, 06:43 PM
itl boot with default drivers provided you do it correctly, (so there wont be a BSOD) you will want to have yur main board cd handy as it will prolly ask for it at some point....

is the cpu heatsink fins cleen? if they get clogged itl make the comp run hot and have wierd problems like that too....

its hard to say what it is for sure when i cant see the problem first hand but i have yrs of experience so one thing i dont do is make uneducated guesses.

DISCLAIMER: carefull in the registry, u can hose yur system, and you can NOT hold me responsible.

eaheer
06-14-2006, 07:59 PM
my computer went completely crazy playing counter-strike one day.... all my windows files went corrupt, ok so i try to reinstall windows and when it got to about 65% it said that the file couldnt be copied, so i skipped that file and about 50 others couldnt be copied and then it aborted, ok fine, i put my harddrive into another computer and set up windows just fine with no problems at all and windows worked completely fine, I then swapped the harddrive back into my original computer and i get a blue screen that says there was a problem with windows so i bought a brand new motherboard ( same one i have) and it still does it. I have also tried every jumper setting on the harddrive, replaced the IDE cable with brand new ones, took out a ram stick that i put in(512) as well as my video card. I also tried 4 different harddrives in my computer and i get the blue screen on every one of them even though they work completely fine in other computers. I'm still convinced it is the motherboard so i ordered a much better motherboard but i just wanted some input... Not sure if I am to late to reply about this one. The reason your getting a blue screen is because that hard drive is set up for the other computer you formatted it on. What you need to do is go into the hard drive properties and change the hard drive name to a :STANDARD: drive. Then you will be able to place the old hard drive in the other computer, your blue screen of death will no longer exist. : well it is suppose to fix this problem: Good luck if you have more trouble let me know. I am a computer techy. Sorry if I am late about this topic, I didn't want to read through everyone's responses.

FreekShow
06-15-2006, 05:45 AM
Can u explain how to get into the hard drive properties and how to change it a little more clearly. I need to do this on the computer that the harddrive works fine on right? How do i change the name will i have to type a new name in or does it give u selections?

FreekShow
06-15-2006, 05:27 PM
bump...