View Full Version : First oil change on new 400EX

Vx2
06-13-2006, 02:21 PM
I am right around 10 hrs now on a new 2005 400EX. I asked the dealer about getting my first oil change done, as recommended in the manual. Along with the oil change, the service guy recommended a valve inspection and a list of other things, totalling approximately $265.00. Does this sound right for an initial inspection and oil change? Or is the service guy trying to sell me on inspections that I do not need?

Thanks in advance...

TravEX
06-13-2006, 04:33 PM
DO NOT pay someone $265 for something you can do yourself!!!!

Do a search here in the tech section for how to set the valves yourself. If they are not ticking I would not worry about it.

The oil change is SUPER easy!!!. Drain the oil tank cooler in front of the motor. Drain the crankcase with the drain bolt by the shifter (it will get oil on the frame, but don't worry about it). Take the oil filter out with the 2 8mm bolts on the right side of the motor. Before you remove old oil filter, inspect on how it's installed so that you don't install the new one backwards. Install new oil filter. Re-install drain bolts. Put in 2 qts of the oil of your choice. I use Valvoline 10-40 (10-30 in winter). (Add 1 1/2 qts, then start it up for a while, then add the rest.)

Your done.

I change my oil twice a year, and the filter once a year. But I only put about 15-20 hours a year on the EX (I'm always on the ATC250R!!!). On my air cooled rides, whenever the oil starts turning black, I change it.

Search this site for any tech problems. I've checking into that expensive service at the dealor, and the only things I can see that they do is. 1. Adjust chain. 2. Clean air filter. 3. Set you valves. 4. Change the oil.

There are MANY arguments regarding oil. Check out my signature for my rides. They ALL have Valvoline oil in them with ZERO problems since I've owned them.

O, WELCOME TO EXRIDERS!!!

Hope this helps,

Travis

DANVAN
06-13-2006, 08:31 PM
1 2nd that.

AR15 guy
06-19-2006, 11:14 PM
Don't pay that. That is insane.

DE400EX
06-26-2006, 07:47 PM
That price is if you upgrade some things. Like going to synthetic oil and some other stuff. The actual cost would be around 100-120$..

Iliketogofast
06-27-2006, 11:09 AM
Dude, never waste your money getting that stuff done at the dealer. They're ripping you off big time.

The oil change is unbelievably easy. Just make sure you warm up the motor for about 5-10 minutes before you do it and don't overfill it. If I remember correctly you pour in one quart of oil, then stick the dipstick in and check it and add whatever is needed from a second quart. I think it takes 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 quarts of oil... 10W-40 MOTORCYCLE ONLY oil should be used.

Valve adjustments are harder, but still simple as long as you go and get yourself a feeler guage. It is a matter of taking the valve covers off (2 bolts apiece, 4 total), sticking your feeler guage at the right setting in between the gap, and tigtneing the nut on each of the four valves. EASY.

With that low of hours nothing else really needs checked except for your air filter, which is also really easy to clean. You take the seat off, remove the airbox lid by unclamping the clips, then removing the air filter which is secured by a hose clamp. Then you just clean it off with a filter cleaner, simple green or automotive parts cleaner, let it dry off, spray filter oil on it and reinstall it. You only need to do this if there is visible dirt on the air filter.

One more thing. You don't need it this time, but every other oil change you should install a new oil filter. This is also simple - just remove two bolts and take the oil filter out, take the spring off of the old one, put it on the new one and reinstall.

SO... Here are the supplies you'll need to pick up. You can get them at pretty much any dealer or motorcycle shop....

-3 Quarts of 10W-40 motorcycle oil (One for next time)
-Air filter cleaner and air filter oil
-Oil filter for next time
-Chain lube, if you want it.

20-25 bucks Vs. $265...

If you need any help on this stuff, PM me or post a new thread. I had a 400EX before I got my R, so I know maintenance on them.

DE400EX
06-27-2006, 05:46 PM
Wheres a good place to get a feeler gauge?

Hell with the dealer im doin it myself.

And, since i have the extended warranty will that void it?

Iliketogofast
06-28-2006, 11:48 AM
You can get a feeler guage pretty much anywhere that sells tools. If you make a trip to the dealer, you should pick up the Clymer 400EX Service Manual. It tells you all the specifications such as the valve clearance and amount of oil to put it.

It has sections on every part of the bike, and tells you exactly how to disassemble and reassemble every single part on the bike, step by step AND with pictures. It also tells you how to do all the maintenance, and even has a chart that will tell you when you need to do each thing.

It's 30 bucks but it will probably be the best 30 bucks you'll ever spend - My R would be parts on the garage floor if it weren't for my manual.

And I'm serious when I say it has everything, too. It even has a chart that will show you how to read a spark plug, which is very valuable when you want to tune your bike.

And like I said, if you need anything send me a PM and I'll either give you the low down on it or direct you to someone who can.

Iliketogofast
06-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by DE400EX
And, since i have the extended warranty will that void it?

I don't think so, as long as you don't screw the bike up doing it (And you won't.)

JForestZ34
07-10-2006, 12:01 PM
When you change the oil filter, after you install the new filter make sure you DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the filter cover bolts. I have done that once and snapped the shorter of the 2 bolts. That really sucks when that happens. And my 400 takes 2qts. I've seen alot of 400's taking different amounts of oil. So put in about 1 1/2 quarts then run the bike for about 30-45 seconds. After you shut it down wait about 5 minutes for the oil to come down in the crankcase and level out with the oil resovior(sp). Then just add how much you need to get it to the full mark.

James

Iliketogofast
07-10-2006, 12:03 PM
It's weird how some with the same oil tank and case size take diff amounts... Mine always took less than 1 1/2 bottles, because I always saved the rest so next time I only had to buy 1 bottle instead of 2. I used 1.2 quart bottles though (I think it went by liters.. it was measured in metric... HP4 I think)

07-10-2006, 01:41 PM
the oil filter should be cahngeed everytime the oil is changed, especially on a new bike. that first filter is taking in shavings from the break-in process.

i took mine new 1997 300ex to the dealert for the first service only because they threw that in for free. the same dealer didn't toss it into the deal on the new '06 450r this time and the cost went from $65 to $119 in those 9 years for the same service

400eXr1d3rZ
07-10-2006, 08:08 PM
When I was younger I was trying to start my dirtbike, well the damn thing wouldnt start, my mother doesnt know anything about dirtbike, let alone her own vehical. Well, so we took it to the dealer, we spent 500+ at the dealer. And guess what the problem was?????

A ****ING FOULED SPARKPLUG.

I feel so stupid now that I didnt know that.

bmurray
07-25-2006, 07:43 PM
don't even consider the dealer unless it's a warranty issue. Do it yourself on the oil change and valves lash. Print out the article here at exriders on the valve lash adjustments, and follow it step-by-step, it's simple. Just remember not to overtighten the oil filter cover bolts (use a 1/4" drive) probably only about 7 ftlbs.

http://www.atvriders.com/articles/valveadjustment400ex.html

http://www.atvriders.com/articles/oilchange400ex.html