PDA

View Full Version : 04 preds?

bigbuck90
06-13-2006, 01:17 PM
I have a chance to trade my shee for a 04 pred.Is there any nown problems with them and what should i look for?thanks

wolffie
06-13-2006, 01:26 PM
if it was raced, you want to check the frame for any cracks around the welded areas. if the quad was raced, ask the person if they have ever gussetted the frame for extra support. the frames were a bit weak in 04.

i think there might be some other issue with the tranny, but i have never had that problem on my 05. check out www.predatorowners.com and ask someone on there who has owned an 04 for awhile.

rather than that, just look for the regular stuff you would check for in a used vehicle:)

Flynbryan19
06-13-2006, 01:34 PM
The tranny problems were fixed with the changes made from 03' to 04'. The tranny should not be an issue with the 04' model. Frames are still known to crack, but not near as bad on the 04's(again strengthened from 03') Check the wheel bearings as well as all the suspension bushing as they wear out quickly and have play even right off the showroom floor sometimes. Just look for overall wear and tear. Its not a bad machine, but they just seem to wear out alot faster than the jap brands.

bigbuck90
06-13-2006, 01:38 PM
He has replaced all of the wheel bearings and stuff.He has the clutch trown apart he said that some thing happend i havent really talked about it yet.He has it for sale on here in the polaris section.

lild450r
06-13-2006, 01:49 PM
i had an '04 and i sold to get a 450r. the '04's had a problem with shutting down. i dont know if the electrical just go too hot or what. i had mine shut down while i was runnung a bowl and i almost wrecked! the whole bike completly shut down. the fan wasnt even on. when i tried to start it it made a clicking sound by the battery. i had to wait like 15 minutes before it would start and when it did it only ran for a minute or two. the front brakes dragged so bad that you couldnt spin the front wheel a full rotation. make sure you ask him about the electrical. if you do a search on predatorowners.com you will find alot of info.
from a banshee to a pred??
personally i would keep the banshee. if you want a 4 stroke look into the yfz or trx. there are tons of trx's that are for sale for like 4 grand.
basicaly make sure you check the bike with a fine tooth comb. ask tons of questions!!
remember this is only my opinion and what i personaly think.

bigbuck90
06-13-2006, 01:54 PM
I need a tight trails and woods bike and,, the banshee sucks at that stuff.I have posts for my shee for sale or trade and i havent had any offerings yet.

Flynbryan19
06-13-2006, 02:23 PM
I can tell you from personal experience the Pred was too wide for me for tight trail riding. The pred is 47.5" wide and I bounced off of every rock, tree, and dirt bank on the trail.

Flynbryan19
06-13-2006, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by lild450r
i had an '04 and i sold to get a 450r. the '04's had a problem with shutting down. i dont know if the electrical just go too hot or what. i had mine shut down while i was runnung a bowl and i almost wrecked! the whole bike completly shut down. the fan wasnt even on. when i tried to start it it made a clicking sound by the battery. i had to wait like 15 minutes before it would start and when it did it only ran for a minute or two. the front brakes dragged so bad that you couldnt spin the front wheel a full rotation. make sure you ask him about the electrical. if you do a search on predatorowners.com you will find alot of info.
from a banshee to a pred??
personally i would keep the banshee. if you want a 4 stroke look into the yfz or trx. there are tons of trx's that are for sale for like 4 grand.
basicaly make sure you check the bike with a fine tooth comb. ask tons of questions!!
remember this is only my opinion and what i personaly think.

Your electrical problems could have been cured with one trip to the auto parts store. ;) Theres two circuit breakers that go bad prematurely and cause the engine shutting off. Been down that road too.... But, I think you made the right decision.

lild450r
06-13-2006, 02:30 PM
glad i didnt cause im super happy with my r now. :D

good luck on which ever you choose.

bigbuck90
06-13-2006, 03:28 PM
I would be able to make my decisine sooner if the guy whould talk to me.I sent him an im he said hi and after that he wont say any thing else.kind of getting eritating.

wolffie
06-13-2006, 04:10 PM
if this guy is giving you a helluva deal, go for it. but if his prices are around the same as a used yfz, i would go for the 450 if i were you. it has more power, and is much more nimble. the only downside would be it doesnt have reverse, and you might want to get a more comfortable seat:D

i love my pred and i think it is an excellent machine for what i paid for it. i do however think a used yfz for the same price as the pred would be the way to go (as long as its in good shape;)

oh, and i dont really find the stance of the pred to be that big of an issue in the woods unless you ride in REALLY tight trails. but that of course is personal preference. this is my personal opinion though.

bigbuck90
06-14-2006, 08:37 AM
he is asking 1800 for it.But i plan on trading my shee for it.

hogriderkev
06-14-2006, 02:25 PM
I luv mine and tear up the woods and the sand all the time. Oh yeah I smoke most 450s too with only a pipe and airfilter mod. I never liked how small both the yz and trx felt under me and I am 190lbs. I have put over a 1000 hrs on it so far with no problems. Also I have rode both the yz and trx and would buy a predator again. Down side is, yes their resale value is low, but in your case you can pick up a hell of a bike for a steal.

Flynbryan19
06-14-2006, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by hogriderkev
Oh yeah I smoke most 450s too with only a pipe and airfilter mod.

Yeeeaah.....ok.:ermm:

wolffie
06-15-2006, 08:42 AM
yeah the pred is a nice machine, but the 450's will eat it alive:scary:

perhaps if you were woods racing and were truly the better rider.... even still, the 450's are an entirely different caliber machine!

HungreePRedator
06-28-2006, 07:26 AM
You are just talking out of sheer bias wolfiee, because the 450 would NOT eat the PRed alive.
IF you dont have your facts straight, dont post.

Prey
06-28-2006, 09:33 AM
its funny how these threads always turn into "what i got is the best and fastest and yada yada yada blah blah blah blah"

do the guy who started this thread a favor and can it (cause i know it only gets worse from here), if you dont have anything useful to add about the 04 predators short comming or benefits then dont post.

I have an 04 pred, but i have not had one issue with the bike since owning it. as far as it being to wide, IMO that is bogus, i have raced mine at several GNCC's (and there are plenty of other guys racing them at the GNCC's) and local district harescrambles, I have hit just as many rocks and trees with my 450R as i have the pred. conclusion was i needed to become a better rider!!!! (still in work :p)

if you are serious about the bike, i would just simply ask the guy to strip the plastics and tank off, clean it up and take some good pics especially of the frame rails that run under the gas tank and the lower frame rails back by the foot pegs