PDA

View Full Version : Why does it seem Polaris Gets such a bad rep?

Vertical Smile
06-13-2006, 09:16 AM
I'm new to this whole Quad thing and bought myself a 05 TLD Predator a few months ago, I LOVE IT.
I tested a bunch of other Quads (Raptor 700, TRX450, KFX700) and liked the feel of the Predator the best for trail riding. Not that the others were slouches by any means.
I've noticed on many ATV boards as well as Magazine articles (which are far and few between) Polaris Quads seem to be looked down upon.
Why is that?
I personally love my new machine and I guess I really shouldn't listen to all the negative Hype.
A few weeks ago I was riding on some trails and I ran into a few guys, one on a 400EX & another on a Raptor 660. They asked me why I bought the Pred.
They told me they we totally unrealiable and built terrible. I asked them if they've ever owned one, and neither had................hell they told me they never even rode one.
I dismissed them as a couple of blowhards and went on my way.

People need to lighten up.........

06-13-2006, 09:28 AM
i have never owned one and never will. it boils down to this with me...there have been many polaris bikes in my riding group over the years....even the new ones could not go on a ride because there was something wrong with them, they were in the shop.

i recently got a chance to ride a pred for the first time about a month ago. i have been riding for 20+ years and had a hard time steering this thing on the trail. jumping it felt like jumping my father-in-laws 1995 honda 300 ute bike, only not as smooth. i planted the nose in the ground and kissed the bars with my chest. it was the hardest 2 or 3 foot landing i have ever taken. turning it was hard also...there was nothing, nothing, then it turned...maybe it was not in the best of shape...it was the first time i have ever ridden with the guy, but from my past experiences with polaris quads, i would tend to believe that it was just the way it was designed.

also, there is an uncomfortable bump in the middle of the seat right where i sit. it was form how they had to make the pan go over the air box. i could not wait to get back onto my 450r

power wise, it was pretty comparable to my 450r

426ex44
06-13-2006, 12:56 PM
Alot of people dont like the Predator because it is a bigger quad, first quad that polaris made, and you cant race them in the mx races because it is a 500 and the highest CC you can have is a 450. I think they handle better than any other stock quad on the trails. They are also nice because they come with FOX shocks on them stock.

Flynbryan19
06-13-2006, 01:47 PM
Polaris's biggest problem is their attention to detail and quality control. Plain and simple. They are not a "bad" quad. There are just certainly better choices out there.

The problem is just that all the wear items get trashed twice as fast, and they are just not a very solidly built quad. My Predator was GREAT for the first 40-50hrs, then the thing literally started falling apart. And don't assume I'm just a lousy mechanic. I'm anal about maintnance and always went above and beyond regular maintnance. I know there are those with NO problems with their preds with 100s of hours on them, but there are DEFINATELY many more lemons in the basket when it comes to polaris than any other brand of sport quads.

Scotty7304
06-13-2006, 04:05 PM
I have not had a single problem with my '04 pred so far, and I think it is a great quad for most riders. Also Speedyquad learn how to speak English please people might take your opinion more seriously.

06-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Scotty7304
I have not had a single problem with my '04 pred so far, and I think it is a great quad for most riders. Also Speedyquad learn how to speak English please people might take your opinion more seriously.

what couldn't you inderstand? are you mad because i gave you MY opinion of why i do not like polaris quads. that is MY opinion based on MY experiences with them. yes, i took some liberties with sentence structure and i have a wireless keyboard. sometimes some keystrokes are lost and end up some where else. i don't always check it, but the mistakes made are obvious typographical errors that i have corrected just for you. would you like me to repost with perfect english? possibly use some triplets and some correlative conjunctions? i can do that, but this is the internet, not the college english class that i received an "A" in over 10 years ago.

I answered his question, i didn't bash on the brand. i just said why it is looked down upon.

preddymoto
06-14-2006, 08:41 AM
the predator that you were riding must be a piece of *****. mine turns on a dime. better then any stock 450r. as far as jumping goes mabye you should of hit the jump like you have a set. i can ride a sportsman over anyjump and not nosedive. it's rider preference. everyone is entitled to an opinion. my opinion is that you really just can't ride. by no means am i bashing on your honda or anyone's yami's. originality my friend is the key to polaris' madness. so far so good.

Vertical Smile
06-14-2006, 09:16 AM
I know I'm new to this sport and all but I have yet to have any problems turning.
I mostly ride on tight double wide trails with quite a bit of rock and I can sling the back end around anything. Maybe because I'm 6'1 @ 230 lbs helps when turning by shifting my weight.
I do ride with 2 guys on Dirtbikes and really never have a problem keeping up.

As far as jumping I don't have a clue how it might handle in the air, I've yet to hit anything big.

06-14-2006, 09:35 AM
I can ride. I have been riding since 1981, that is longer than you have been alive. I didn't hit the jump hard as it was a small downhill on a trail and was only about 100 feet or so from where i first threw a leg over the seat. The owner siad it acts differently in the air, no other explainantion. So i took it easy to see the in air characteristics of it. I have never had any other bike nose dive so much off a any comparable jump. The very next jump on the trail was a slightly bigger jump and I hit it differently. I had no problem keeping the machine level on any of the jumps there after.

I have a set, and mine have dropped already. Respect you elders younin'.

Innovation is good if it is an improvement, but the preddy has been out for a few years now and Polaris is the only one using that design or anything like it. If it were as revolutionary as it is supposed to be, and as good, I would tend to believe that more manufacturers would be making their own versions of the steering components.

As far as maintenence, the bike looked like it was new and well maintained.. Maybe it wasn't but it to me, it didn't handle all that well. Again, I know how to ride.

I am allowed to not like Polaris, you make not like Honda . Those are our choices, the person started thread asked a simple question, one in which i truthfully answered. Is it fact in all cases? No it is not. Has it been my experience? Yes. I gave my opinion. I gave a reason as to why Polaris is looked down upon, which is what his question was. There is no need to bash on me for honestly answering his question.

coryatver
06-14-2006, 10:26 AM
I believe polaris got there bad rep around here at least it started a while ago, the cheaper polaris quads everyone had one around here and no one could keep them running. I mean polaris quad everyone and there brother, cousin had one and they probley did no maitnence that these cheap quads required. They were pretty much always broke or breaking down on the trail or you had to miss out rides. That has stayed with them.

I have also rode a polaris pred and It felt very uncomfortable. The plastic around the gas tank and the hump around the seat is horrible. You ask us if we have rode one before? Have you rode anything else than a pred??? I liked the fox shocks and it seemed to have plenty of power but the handling was not that great. I am not impressed with the PRO system. It seems like a gymic and doesn't do anything and is a lot of extra unneeded parts.

Vertical Smile
06-14-2006, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
You ask us if we have rode one before? Have you rode anything else than a pred???
I'm not sure if this is directed to me, but if so......

Re-read my first post and that will answer your questions.

preddymoto
06-14-2006, 10:11 PM
whatever dude. that made no sense so maybe you should just not comment on a polaris forum.can you tell me why you never see close to stock honda's racing. you see polaris's. for instance matt smiley rode a close to stock quad and competed with tricked out 450's. get a clue.
Originally posted by speedyquad
I can ride. I have been riding since 1981, that is longer than you have been alive. I didn't hit the jump hard as it was a small downhill on a trail and was only about 100 feet or so from where i first threw a leg over the seat. The owner siad it acts differently in the air, no other explainantion. So i took it easy to see the in air characteristics of it. I have never had any other bike nose dive so much off a any comparable jump. The very next jump on the trail was a slightly bigger jump and I hit it differently. I had no problem keeping the machine level on any of the jumps there after.

I have a set, and mine have dropped already. Respect you elders younin'.

Innovation is good if it is an improvement, but the preddy has been out for a few years now and Polaris is the only one using that design or anything like it. If it were as revolutionary as it is supposed to be, and as good, I would tend to believe that more manufacturers would be making their own versions of the steering components.

As far as maintenence, the bike looked like it was new and well maintained.. Maybe it wasn't but it to me, it didn't handle all that well. Again, I know how to ride.

I am allowed to not like Polaris, you make not like Honda . Those are our choices, the person started thread asked a simple question, one in which i truthfully answered. Is it fact in all cases? No it is not. Has it been my experience? Yes. I gave my opinion. I gave a reason as to why Polaris is looked down upon, which is what his question was. There is no need to bash on me for honestly answering his question.

DOHC
06-15-2006, 03:06 PM
I love polaris quads, i own a 2000 scrambler 500 and its a great bike, ive never had a problem with it ive only owned it 1 year but my dad also had one his is a 2004 and same no prob's :)

kc8pnd
06-18-2006, 08:14 PM
The only problem with my 05 tld pred is the gas tank keeps going empty. I fill it up and it must leak out the bottom after 2 or 3 hours of riding! :confused:

wolffie
06-19-2006, 11:07 AM
mine seems to get bad gas mileage as well. the tank on my quad doesnt seem to have a leak, but i just think the preddy guzzles. it has a DOHC motor, and it weighs like 420lbs, so it makes sense i guess.:confused:

06-19-2006, 11:26 AM
I have got a clue. I know 6 people that have polaris bikes right now, none are running!!! They all missed riding this weekend! I know that 4 of the 6 are well maintained. None are over 5 years old

And how many of them stock polaris quads have wins?

Get the idea, he asked a question. Ii answered it. Why is that a hard concept for you to understand. Polaris has a bad reputation. Who better to tell why polaris has a bad rep, than people who do not like polaris.

Matt Smiley also left polaris. Why was that?

Mervin, I'll debate with ya all day, but the fact is. I gave an accurate reason as to why Polaris haters hate polaris quads. That was what he asked for. THat was the answer he got.

Scotty7304
06-19-2006, 12:43 PM
There is an article on this forum about Matt Smiley, and how he just resigned with polaris. He will be running the rest of the season on one of their quads. Maybe you dont have a clue?

06-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Honestly, I don't care. I don't keep up with racing too much. I enjoy it, but to actually devoter my life knowing who is riding what is a waste of my time. I have more importnat things to do. The point i am trying to get acrossed to my reading challenged friend is that the original post asked why Polaris has a bad reputation. I answered the question. I don't need to be lectures on why he pr any other happy polaris owners love their bikes. GOod for them.

I don't like polaris from many past experiences. You will never change my mind of that. I am not trying to convert you to honda, yamaha, kawasaki, suzuki, dinli, kasea, or any other. I was simply answering the question that was asked.

All of you polaris people should not get your panties in abunch over it.

Oh, where does it say that smiley is back on a polaris? I could not find it.

And yet another one that was born after I started riding.

DOHC
06-19-2006, 07:11 PM
I have got a clue. I know 6 people that have polaris bikes right now, none are running!!! They all missed riding this weekend! I know that 4 of the 6 are well maintained. None are over 5 years old

Get the idea, he asked a question. Ii answered it. Why is that a hard concept for you to understand. Polaris has a bad reputation. Who better to tell why polaris has a bad rep, than people who do not like polaris.

Matt Smiley also left polaris. Why was that?

Mervin, I'll debate with ya all day, but the fact is. I gave an accurate reason as to why Polaris haters hate polaris quads. That was what he asked for. THat was the answer he got.
LMAO This guy isnt bull ****ing us, these are all my polaris toys
1. 2000 polaris scrambler 500
2.2004 polaris scrambler 500
3.1994 polaris sl 850 mod jet ski
4. 1997 polaris sl 1050 jet ski
5.2002 polaris xc sp 500 sled
6. 1998 polaris xlt 600 sled
7.1996 polaris xcr 600 sled
8. 1995 polaris xcr 440/1200 mod drag sled
9 2000 polaris xcr 800 sled
10.1996 polaris sl 650 jet ski
and its funny cause only 1 has had a major problem and that was a blown motor 1996 xcr 600, and now she runs great, and all my others run great so ur a phoney :)

Scotty7304
06-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Here you go speedy http://www.atvriders.com/atvnews/polarismattsmileyatvgnccagreement.html

1Sikk700r
06-20-2006, 02:00 AM
They get a bad rap cause they are heavy turds and they are slow. You have to rev the hell out of them before they have any power.:devil:

06-20-2006, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by DOHC
LMAO This guy isnt bull ****ing us, these are all my polaris toys
1. 2000 polaris scrambler 500
2.2004 polaris scrambler 500
3.1994 polaris sl 850 mod jet ski
4. 1997 polaris sl 1050 jet ski
5.2002 polaris xc sp 500 sled
6. 1998 polaris xlt 600 sled
7.1996 polaris xcr 600 sled
8. 1995 polaris xcr 440/1200 mod drag sled
9 2000 polaris xcr 800 sled
10.1996 polaris sl 650 jet ski
and its funny cause only 1 has had a major problem and that was a blown motor 1996 xcr 600, and now she runs great, and all my others run great so ur a phoney :)

Again, I simply answerwd his question. I gave why I do not like polaris from my own experinces, as have others. It is not polaris proponents that perpetuate the bad rep of polaris, it is those, like myself that do not like them. I am only going from my personal experience. If you have had good experinces with Polaris. Good for you. I have seen nothing but troubles with them. When the polaris owners i know buy another quad, it has always been another make.

NO need to call me a phoney or a liar, that is just rude and ignorant. This is not a debate of why or why not polaris are junk or not. It is an answer the the question of why the persons who do not like polaris simply do not like polaris.

DOHC, if all of those are yours, that you bought yourself, you are one very wealthy 15 year old.

I also worked at a local dealership for a brief period of time as a sales person. I didn't like anything about the job, so i quit pretty quickly. Anyway, during my training period, the sale person training me told me that "when I sell a honda, I expects to see it back only if the peson does not want to do the routine maintenance like new brakes, etc. I cannot say that for any other brands. ANd as far as polaris goes, I can almost expect everyone of those back for some kind of repair." amybe it si something with the ones the send hre to northwest PA. I am not sure. I don't really care.

I will never own a polaris for the reasons i and everyone else has stated until I have different first hand experinces with them.

wolffie
06-20-2006, 07:49 AM
everyone has their own opinion. every body just chill, i mean there is really no sense in getting all worked up on the internet here:huh

if someone likes something thats cool, and if they dont like something thats fine too. just do what ever works.

and if you ask for an opinion, be prepared to hear what someone has to say. it might be positive, it might not. opinions are like *******s, everyone has one:devil: just roll with it. My 2Cents for what its worth.

calds650
06-20-2006, 10:16 AM
[i]

[/B]

Last year Maxxis 12 Hours of ATV America stock Predator won over stock Honda and Yamaha :eek2:

This year the Outlaw in CNCC and WORCS stock class

preddymoto
06-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Answer me this also: Who won sport quad of the year couple years running? but hey what ever keep riding and shut up. I like my pred. and thats that. All i'll say is i'll race anyone who is dogging polaris drag, mx, flat, ice, hell even dunes. Find sometime better to do then to talk to us Speedy! cause obiously you have no life,nor anything better to do then to talk **** to a bunch of people who just wanna ride.

06-20-2006, 12:17 PM
LISTEN TO ME...I AM SAYING WHY I DO NOT LIKE AND WILL NEVER LIKE POLARIS. I AM NOT DEBATING WHY SOME THINK THEY ARE GOOD, I AM SAYING WHY SOME THINK THEY ARE BAD. READ A LITTLE AND LISTEN TO WHAT I AM SAYING.

MERVIN, GROW A BRAIN. learn to understand simple concepts.

why are you getting mad... here is what it boils down to. he asked "why does polaris have a bad rep?" I being a person who does not like polaris for my own reasons gave him an answer. I answered his question. It is you that is argueing. What do you not understand. He asked a question and I honestly answered it.

If you have a better answer as to why people such as myself do not like polaris then answer. Please tell me why I do not like polaris.

As far as me having a life, I have a full time job, but only work 3 days a week. I have 4yr old daughter that i have spent everyday that i have had off with her since she was born. I have become accostomed to spending a lot of time with her. L0ately, my mother has been taking her for a few hours every day because she loves having her. I am not going to deny my mother that, even though i miss my daughter when she is gone.

so back to the subject of hand. Again, i am not debating what you may have experienced with polaris, i simply stated an answer to his question of "why polaris has a bad rep?" can you deny that the reason that polaris has a bad reputation is a lot of people, whether justified or not, have the same feelings as me.

preddymoto
06-20-2006, 01:15 PM
Congradulations. Save that 2 minutes of making your self sound like an idiot and spend it with your daughter.

06-20-2006, 01:50 PM
you are the one that souynds like an idiot because you are unable to see what i am trying to say. I simply relayed my honest experiences with polaris and why i do not like them. that si a truthful and honest answer to his question. once you realize that, then all will be good with the world.

Why is it not sinking in that you will not convice me to ever own a polaris and that I was not trying to talk anyone out of buying one. I was only trying to give the best answer toa question that was asked by a happy polaris owner. whether he ends up like you and has no problems or ends up with a lot of problems and leans towards my side of the fence, the outcome will not matter to me as i have no vested interest in the subject. My only goal is to have you realize that you are argueing about tsomething different than I am.

and since i have one of 7 weeks this year off coming up, with the wife working and my parents taking the daughter to a kiddy amusment park for 3 days, i'll have a little bit of free time to keep reating the same thing until you start to realize that you have not been keeping up with what i was saying

CHEVYZ
06-20-2006, 02:03 PM
Wow... some of you are very childish. There are alot of people like this on here I find... and it gets old. Whenever somone expresses their opinion about something, someone with a different view on the subject always has to get worked up and make it into a back and forth argument. Why argue with what someone else has experienced? Speedy simply answered the asked question with his own experiences related to the subject, and yet he has to catch **** about it. How lame for some of you. :ermm:

One thing that I find determines peoples outlook on a quad is the people that ride them. I don't know if there are alot of guys that react to things like some of you, but if I were to be talking to you and you came at me like that, I would hate your quad too (Just for the simple fact that I would want to compete against it to shut you up). JMO.

06-20-2006, 02:06 PM
thanks chevyz. maybe that will get to him. he just don't seem to get that i am not argueing about the quality of polaris.

MAaudioX10
06-20-2006, 03:31 PM
I never understand why anyone would give 2 chits about what I choose to ride. I didn't realize it is a requirement to have the most popular quad in the world.

Hell, I like being different. If you don't like the Predator, good for you! I'm sure there is someone, somewhere that would love to hear it.

The reason why I don't post on here half the time is because, people view this website as the gospel and, won't be told any different. If your views differ, your an "idiot" or a "moron".

wolffie
06-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by MAaudioX10
I never understand why anyone would give 2 chits about what I choose to ride. I didn't realize it is a requirement to have the most popular quad in the world.

Hell, I like being different. If you don't like the Predator, good for you! I'm sure there is someone, somewhere that would love to hear it.

The reason why I don't post on here half the time is because, people view this website as the gospel and, won't be told any different. If your views differ, your an "idiot" or a "moron".

amen to that:D

Vertical Smile
06-20-2006, 05:49 PM
Eeeek I really started a mess.........for that I'm sorry.
Like I said before I really like my Predator and think it's a pretty sweet machine but I never see any great press about it, nor any Polaris Quad for that matter. Especially in the magazines like Dirt Wheels which seems to be filled with only articles about Honda & Yamaha.
I was thinking maybe Polaris pissed off the ATV masses some how.

Anyway I'd really like it if this thread went away, the last thing I want is bad blood being created.

Peace

AoDPredator
06-20-2006, 09:04 PM
I beleave there rep came form the early year of the quad. Up to the point they came out most quad had shifters. Polaris brought out the cvt an most people didn't know much about it. Sence is was so easy to ride did care how it work just it was easyer. The bad rap happend when they were ran in water an the belts got wet an the belt slipped an burn out. I thing the bad rap has to do with this an this has stuck with them ever sence. But as if you look allmost every company has a type of belt drive system Honda is useing there auto trans like a car I beleave they got it for the old hondamatic street bike the built some years ago. Just enjoy your quad what ever it is. You will never please everyone you could have bought an Honda an got crap for the yamaha guys. Every brand has problems but Polaris are for ever stuck to them Suzuki new King qaud had bad air boxes an are burning oil early but they don't get bashed for it so plan on getting crap for owning it. :D Here is a nice pic of a race this is first turn after the start

DOHC
06-21-2006, 02:09 PM
Again, I simply answerwd his question. I gave why I do not like polaris from my own experinces, as have others. It is not polaris proponents that perpetuate the bad rep of polaris, it is those, like myself that do not like them. I am only going from my personal experience. If you have had good experinces with Polaris. Good for you. I have seen nothing but troubles with them. When the polaris owners i know buy another quad, it has always been another make.

NO need to call me a phoney or a liar, that is just rude and ignorant. This is not a debate of why or why not polaris are junk or not. It is an answer the the question of why the persons who do not like polaris simply do not like polaris.

DOHC, if all of those are yours, that you bought yourself, you are one very wealthy 15 year old.

I also worked at a local dealership for a brief period of time as a sales person. I didn't like anything about the job, so i quit pretty quickly. Anyway, during my training period, the sale person training me told me that "when I sell a honda, I expects to see it back only if the peson does not want to do the routine maintenance like new brakes, etc. I cannot say that for any other brands. ANd as far as polaris goes, I can almost expect everyone of those back for some kind of repair." amybe it si something with the ones the send hre to northwest PA. I am not sure. I don't really care.

I will never own a polaris for the reasons i and everyone else has stated until I have different first hand experinces with them.
sry for calling u a lier, it just makes me mad cause everyone bad mouth polaris, i can under stand why u dont like them tho, and they r not all mine, most r my parents i just ride them lol

lepred
06-21-2006, 05:27 PM
Ok then the only way to settle this is on the track. Lets go

Just Joshin.

If ya ride an ATV no matter what the hell it is your alright by me.

When is sumone gonna come down to Australia and ride with us Occas.?

kc8pnd
06-21-2006, 05:35 PM
as soon as you setup the jump. we can't ride on water you know.

motox450
06-21-2006, 08:01 PM
Alright I am going to give an unbiased review of the predator 500 here. I own a modded trx450r and my twin owns a yfz450 with just a pipe, and my brother in law rides an 04 predator 500 50th aniversary addition.(All three of these quads stay at my house for various reasons. Just means I get to ride whatever I want!) All of the quads have there strong and week points. I disagree with the predator not jumping well. I jump my brother in laws Predator just as well as my 450r. It is fairly smooth on all the jumps. It does feel heavier than my r, but it should it weighs 50 lbs more. As for turning the predator it is a little tougher to stuff in the tight corners, again this is just due to more weight. But on wide open corners I can fly through them just as fast as with my trx Power wise the Predator is lacking stock but has great potential. We went ahead and put on a pure polaris pipe as well as a stock trx carb(I had the stock one off my quad I put a FCR on mine) This really woke the motor up. It pulls very hard throught the power band, and I have been impressed with the power it produces. Now for the bad stuff it isnt built as well as a jap quad. There are torque bits used plus allen screws and regular nuts and bolts. This isn't really bad just odd when used to just metric bolts and a few metric allens, also almost all of the plastic on my brother in laws quad is broke. The rearfenders are broke in one spot, but the front fenders are in decent shape, all the plastic guards on the side of the quad between the rear fender and the gas tank are broke. It is almost made of a plastic that is too hard and they end up breaking. Next the rear brake is not designed well. The whole rear brake assembly moves back and forth(the bracket the caliper mounts to) it clanks at low speed. I guess the good thing about my bad points thus far is that they aren't major issues. I have heard of some of the earlier models having tranny issues, but I have not experianced this at all on my brother is laws. His shifts well. Also the Predator does come with some good equipment. The doughlas wheels are nice, steel braided brake lines, and it is one of the wider more stable quads on the market. I can't say that I would buy a predator, but seeing as one sleeps in my garage every night I do get the joy of riding one whenever I want. Overall it isn't a bad quad it just could use some refinements. I believe that it is a truly capable quad and in the right hands could be leathal at any track.

AoDPredator
06-21-2006, 08:28 PM
Thankyou for your great review I belive you pretty much hit the nail on the head.

motox450
06-21-2006, 08:40 PM
Not a problem. I think people get too much into the I ONLY ride (THIS OR THAT) and don't even look at what else is out there. Different people feel more comfortable on different quads. Every quad has strong and week points and noone and I mean noone is going to agree on every point someone makes and that this is better than this. Everyone has there opinion and is entitled to that opinion. I guess I am lucky enough to get to ride three of the major performance quads whenever I want. Do I like mine better than the rest! Of course I do, and why because its mine!! Plus I have spent a ton of money to make my quad what I wanted it to be. I would be just as fast on a YFZ or a Predator if I had it built the way I wanted it. People don't realize how little the quad you ride effects that outcome of the race at the B and C level. It is the rider that makes the difference. I could go out finish just about as well on any of the sport quads with some time on them. I could go on and on and give even more in depth about the strong and weak points of all three quads. But well I would be on here for a long long time. Predator's aren't a bad quad at all just different.

AoDPredator
06-21-2006, 08:46 PM
It is so nice to hear some who can give more info then i don't like them an everone I know who has one it is broke. That is the answer I here all the time. I racing MX on my Pred an it work good for me. I hang right with the 450 on the starts an run in the top 5. But most of the guys im racing are between 16 an 28 an in 39 an a litle over weight. You are right about the rider too. May be Polaris will get into the 450 market now they have KTM part of there company.

kc8pnd
06-21-2006, 08:48 PM
Owning an 05 troy lee model it has a shorter swing arm and closer gearing, this thing is torquey and if you suddenly loose traction then catch it again that could be bad. I like the look of the predator, it reminds me of that huge robot thing on the game metal gear. My friends 03 has some problems with the rear caliper making noise but mine don't. I do hate the fact that I bent my frame on a tree when it should of bent a tie rod or rim. I do like that comes with nice shocks, rear tapered bearing carrier, and huge axle that weighs like 30 pounds. I hate how they have the air box setup, the snorkel is way to small in my opinion, it seems like it is starving the motor of air, they should of at least made the snorkel the same diameter as the carburetor intake. For being the heaviest of the sport quads the rear end seems loose which is nice in some cases. Overall the predator is a great quad, with a few modifications to the air box and a new pipe, maybe a gusseted frame its a great machine.

motox450
06-21-2006, 08:53 PM
I think that KTM will vastly help Polaris in the engine department. The current 500 motor can make gobs of power, but it is a very large engine(not just is cc's but in actuall size) KTM engines are compact and make lots of good power. In fact KTM engines are known to be more powerfull that their jap conterparts. KTM also makes very high quailty components. I raced bikes for years and I always rode hondas, but if I go back to bikes I will be riding a KTM. I am impressed with their build quailty and component selection. Who knows if KTM and Polaris come out with a 450 I may be on one of those! I am not biased toward brands. There are too many factors to think of other than its Red, Blue, Yellow or whatever color and manufacturer!

AoDPredator
06-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Rumor has it that they are exchanging stuff now an that on word is the pred get the 450 an outlaw the 525. It is a rumor an have to wait for the truth. I know the 450 motor is 30lbs lighter then the 500. This info was from a Polaris rep. One of the people on a fourm got a call from then on his thought on the outlaw an he asked about the 450 an they said they know an it is lighter to. Nothing wrong with having 5 companys all in the 450 wars now that Kawi has there own coming out look intressting to.

motox450
06-21-2006, 09:04 PM
I couldn't agree more. I hope if they do use a KTM motor they use the new double over head cam engine like what is in the 07 450sxf. It should be very interesting. And only advances the performance of all quads. Competition is good!

wolffie
06-22-2006, 09:43 AM
yeah, when you think about it the sport ATV market has come along way just in the last 5 years or so. the more media and interest in the race scene translates into manufacturers competing to make a stellar machine. this makes it interesting for the consumer because there are so many great machines to buy!

it will deffinetly be interesting to see what polaris and ktm have in store for a race bike...the new kawasaki is supposed to be pretty crazy too! im also willing to bet yamaha will put EFI in the yfz for 07, which will hopefully make Honda up their game as well.

HungreePRedator
06-23-2006, 10:52 AM
Not that anyone knows, but the motor in the PRed now happens to be of high quality, and for who those who care ill give u the run down. The motor is not built by Polaris, which may be a good thing, i dont know. The motor is built by Fuji, heavy industries, which also is the same motor manufacturer as Subaru in cars.
Subaru happens to make some of the best engines in the world, reliable as they perform well too.......which i think the predator engine mirrors those qualities.
Most of the people here complain about the little things, which in all honesty is the same with any other quad, because they vibrate and they have a lot of torque.....you simply cannot avoid having things shake loose, which brings me to my point.
I have had a lot of luck with my PRed, which is because i maintain it religiously, as you should with all machines that have the amount of torque to weight ratio as a sport atv has.
I find the finish of the pred to be pretty darn good compared with the countless amount of atvs ive had in the past. My banshee hands down had to be the worst at fit and finish, as it was ALWAYS breaking, spent more time fixing it then riding it, even though it was all worthwhile at the time.
Weather anyone agrees with me here is not important, but I think we are all spoiled with the quads of today. The quads of yesterday (and atc's) were a nightmare when it came to reliability
they were ALWAYS breaking down, and the fit and finish would make u laugh compared to the atvs of today.
So be happy with what you get for your money, and enjoy the riding, and most importantly do reg maintenance after EVERY ride.
Not wait until something jars loose to fix it and you will be a HAPPY camper on whatever u have. Thanks for listening.

wolffie
06-23-2006, 11:46 AM
good write up man!

Blue_Streak23
06-23-2006, 04:40 PM
haha...i agree

wolffie
06-23-2006, 08:47 PM
^^^ Post whore:D

ha...im just raggin on ya, i sometimes do the same thing.

motox450
06-23-2006, 09:23 PM
I agree that the engine seems to be just as reliable as its jap counterparts, but stock for stock it doesn't make as much power, and is far larger in size. I think the motor itself has a ton of potential. On my brother in laws we put the stock trx carb on it as well as the pure polaris pipe with the turn down cap. Power is very good. It is still a little soft on bottom, but the mid and top is very good, and comparable to any of the current 450's I believe with a better airbox design and better carb the pred engine could really shine. As for the little things, well I have had my trx for just about as long as my brother in law has had his pred, and I ride much harder than he does and my plastic is still in tack. His however is broke in a couple spots, mainly the side covers. As I said before I wouldn't buy a current predator, but I don't mind riding the one in my garage!

kc8pnd
06-23-2006, 09:57 PM
I must say that the motor does look huge but when setting outside the frame it looks relatively small. When I lifted it out of the frame I was shocked at how much it weighed, it couldn't of been much more then 75 pounds, I never actually weighed it on a scale but I remembered my 300ex weighing about the same if not more! As for the power it makes wish it had just a tad more low end, the mid and top is unbelievable, it just keeps pulling hard until you had enough.

smokinwrench
06-23-2006, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by wolffie
^^^ Post whore:D

ha...im just raggin on ya, i sometimes do the same thing.

HAHA now thats funny, saying that you have 1.37 more posts per day then he does. Just raggin LOL

SVTPete
06-24-2006, 01:04 PM
My expieriance with Polaris has been really good. I came from being die hard yamaha because I raced a Superjet a couple of years ago. My first quad was a yamaha and it has been great. However I really liked the Preddy. It Mx's pretty good too! No major reliability probs and the buddies I ride with all have 450's and I am very competitive.

wolffie
06-24-2006, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by smokinwrench
HAHA now thats funny, saying that you have 1.37 more posts per day then he does. Just raggin LOL

you got me. you got the tater:D lol

yeah i have to agree with all you guys that the pred's engine needs some help in the low end. once i put the civic intake and the pipe on, it woke her up a bit. Doug Nicholas of www.nicholascycle.com has done some pretty amazing stuff with preds. they say if you get the carb mods done by him that helps a tremendous amount with throttle response and some low end grunt. that's probably the next performance mod i will invest in.

SVTPete, nice lookin MX pred! i was thinking of gettin into some Novice MX hopefully in a month or so. what mods do you think i should do at the very minimum? i was thinking stabilizer and mabey some Rath MX hubs.

mercenary223
06-24-2006, 07:19 PM
I have had good luck with polaris, but I believe a lot of it has to do with maintnence. I will be honest im a die hard 2 stoke fan and love the powerband, but if your looking for useable traction a good 4 stroke is the way to go.

SVTPete
06-24-2006, 08:16 PM
If you are looking to do bare minimum this is what I did my first 5 races and it worked great. Get the rath mx hubs for the rear and just flip the front wheels for now. It will give you great width and make you corner tons better. Those two things really helped me alot until i could afford hpd front springs and a arms.

smokinwrench
06-24-2006, 09:49 PM
I have not MXed mine yet but I am Friday night at a monster truck show. I'll let you know how I do.

I have raced in 2 one hour harescrambles. I won both. Both times I raced against yfz's and raptors that were far more modded then mine, all I have is pipe and filter. I even ran iron man while other teams ran as partners. People that say predators are junk have never ridden one or have never raced against one with someone on it that knows how to ride.

preddymoto
06-26-2006, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by SVTPete
My expieriance with Polaris has been really good. I came from being die hard yamaha because I raced a Superjet a couple of years ago. My first quad was a yamaha and it has been great. However I really liked the Preddy. It Mx's pretty good too! No major reliability probs and the buddies I ride with all have 450's and I am very competitive.

Hey whats done to your front suspension? do you have spacers on that thing too. looks to be really wide. i have +2 arms and they don't seam to be that wide.

SVTPete
06-27-2006, 03:15 AM
I also have plus 2 a arms. My shocks really allow me to drop the quad and still handle very well. That could be one reason it looks so wide, Another is that my ITP wheels are a 3\2 offset instead of 4\1

wolffie
06-27-2006, 09:13 AM
holy **** dude, that is really wide! is that over 50inches?

i was thinking about doing some +3 MX hubs in the rear and mabey off set wheels in the front. besides fitting into tight trails and what not, are there any negative characteristics you pickup when you widen you quad?

SVTPete
06-27-2006, 12:01 PM
I ride lots of trails and do just fine. The quad when I am sitting on it is over 50 wide. But if there is a width gate to pass through at the races I just gas it and the front end becomes "legal"! The only negative thing everyone talks about when making it wider is more bump steer. I have not had any problems with it and I dont even run a steering dampner.

wolffie
06-27-2006, 01:17 PM
yeah the Pred (the TLD anyways) comes with the special "bump steer" stem. i dont know exactly (mechanical speaking) what it does, but i deffinetly feel a smoother ride as compared to my old 350 Raptor. thanks for the info! your pred looks great btw.

SVTPete
06-28-2006, 02:53 AM
Thanks for the kind words. It is my first sport quad and I am still learning but Am having fun while doing it!

preddymoto
06-28-2006, 12:50 PM
what do you guys think should i get the rath hubs to make my g/f's rear axle wider or just throw some wheel spacers in there. are the wheel spacers alright for going over jumps?