PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of Aftermarket Handlebars

Ern
06-13-2006, 08:24 AM
Is there a benefit for me to buy a set of renthal handlebars for my 300ex? Also, will 400ex handlebars work? I want to get some but my brother thinks itll be a waste of money as im a trail rider.

Any input guys?

Racing Rice
06-13-2006, 08:42 AM
Usually extra strength and more comfortable bends.

06-13-2006, 08:45 AM
400ex and 450r bars will work with the 300ex, any 7/8 bars will work.

the main benfits of aftermarket bars are that they give different bends and heights which add to rider comfort and increasing your control. if you go a with a fat bar, they are sturdier, but are more expensive and require new bar mounts

sickmojave
06-13-2006, 08:53 AM
something to keep in mind is with the stronger aftermarket bars is that if you do wreck the steering stem will bend before the bars do.. :ermm:

Racing Rice
06-13-2006, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by sickmojave
something to keep in mind is with the stronger aftermarket bars is that if you do wreck the steering stem will bend before the bars do.. :ermm:

I can second that! :rolleyes:

Ern
06-13-2006, 09:10 AM
Well I dont plan on wrecking. I know it happens but I stray from it lol.

Ill take a look into it more.

sickmojave
06-13-2006, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Ern
Well I dont plan on wrecking.

Nobody does..:D

Racing Rice
06-13-2006, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Ern
Well I dont plan on wrecking. I know it happens but I stray from it lol.

Ill take a look into it more.

I never plan on wrecking either.. Yet, I don't seem to have fun if I don't.:huh :D

300ex mxracer
06-14-2006, 06:33 AM
you dont need aftermarket handlebars to bend your stem:devil: this was with stock bars last friday.

250r4life
06-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Nobody does..:D

wrong... i plan on wrecking... :D

i'm good for a wreck or two every couple trips... im the best wrecker in my goup :D

i figure if you dont wreck every once in a while, youre not riding hard enough... i usually laugh when i wreck, and say "yah i was about due for another one":devil:

250r4life
06-14-2006, 01:40 PM
as far as bending your stem... it pretty much just depends on the wreck...

i had one wreck where i was shooting the hill at the dunes, and was in 4th gear pinned haulin threw the whoops, and got a little twisted and rolled it on its side, and it bent my bars pretty bad and my stem just slightly... got a new set of bars, the next season was riding at night, came flying up a dune in 4th, didnt realize that the other side dropped, launched off of it, fell, and my bike rolled over me and rolled about 8 times before i caught it and stopped it... only slightly bent my bars and my stem is A-ok...

oh, and supposedly FLY bars are supposed to be the same as Renthals... supposed to be maufactured in the same plant and everything... BS- i'm tellin ya'll the Renthals are stronger

300ex mxracer
06-15-2006, 08:20 AM
ya my wreck was fifth pinned comming into a flattrack corner and got sideways and flipped and landed on the bars and then flipped 3 more times

yernkie
06-15-2006, 12:11 PM
I have found that if you flip your bike back over on you while doing a steep hillclimb if you never let go of the handlebars and ride it out they won't bend...but you back, left shoulder, neck, and left leg hurt like hell for a week or so :ermm:

But being serious, go to a bike shop that has a few different types of bars and see how they feel. Personally, I don't think that stock Honda bars are that comfortable. I use Pro Tapers SE in the ATV midbend installed/turned up slightly higher than normal to be awesome for the way I sit while riding. Its all about preferences... My favorite stock bars are the ones that used to come on Yamaha 250 work quads. Got hundreds of hours on those bikes and love the bars.

300ex mxracer
06-16-2006, 07:21 AM
are your atv-mid bars higher than stock? i should be recieving my atv-high bars anytime