PDA

View Full Version : Paperwork. How do I get it w/o the vin?

johnsls
06-13-2006, 07:16 AM
I bought my quad w/o any paperwork, I've tried finding the VIN# on the bike but nothing.
(I looked near the front bumper & underneith on the frame)

Can't find it.. Can I still get paperwork for it? If so how.

The only stickers still on the frame is where it was made and the year, I forget what the other sticker reads.

Please help

06-13-2006, 07:34 AM
Stand in front of your bike look straight down it should be stamped right by where the bumper mounts.

johnsls
06-13-2006, 07:57 AM
I appreciate your reply but its blank,, I spoke to honda and they advise trying to wipe away any paint or put a piece of paper over it and try to use a pencil to sketch it.

I think it was grinded off it you ask me, so what I'm wondering is if I can contact NJ Dept of Motor Vehichles to help me.

06-13-2006, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by johnsls
I'm wondering is if I can contact NJ Dept of Motor Vehichles to help me. [/B] umm no? Grinded off vin = stolen 99% of the time. did you at least get a bill of sale? if they have that type of quad reported as stolen, and thats the persons that it was stolen from. You lost all your money and the bike and you get nothing :P

bwamos
06-13-2006, 08:50 AM
Aye, never buy a quad without running a VIN check, Bill of Sale, and a title transfer or certificate of origin.

NorCalRacer
06-13-2006, 09:09 AM
Not trying to be a dick but maybe you should check with the police in your area and try to get that quad back to it's rightful owner. I know it sucks getting ripped off, but imagine how the guy feels who got that quad lifted from him. It could even be a kid's. Like I said, I am not trying to be a jerk but if no-body dealt with "paperless" atvs maybe there wouldn't be so much motivation to steal them. Anyways, good luck with whatever happens.

johnsls
06-13-2006, 09:22 AM
I totally agree with all what you said. BUT,, now that I put $2000 into it plus what I paid for it,, its not going anywhere.

Plus, what do guys do after they pc their frames,, all you really have is the original paperwork but theres still no way to prove that the paper work is for that particular quad right?

Another words, pretend mine is pc'd and I have a title, then I goto sell it,, well the guy buying it could say thats bull how do I know that the vin on the title belongs to this quad,, right?

Again I agree but how can anyone prove now that I have their stolen quad,, IF it indeed was or is stolen.

I too am not trying to be a Dick but just trying to solve my delema..

THANKS

johnsls
06-13-2006, 09:27 AM
Oh and btw, I bought it from a guy from Freehold, NJ his name is Kory and is a stunt rider. They have a site, but I can't find it now..

JerzyRiders, Jerzystuntriders.. I'm gonna see if I can find it.

I "said" is wasn't stolen and I forgot to get a bill of sale..I know I'm a stupid ***

06-13-2006, 09:28 AM
what id do is buy a old broken frame for a 400 or 300ex on ebay w/ title. you can prob get one thats broken VERY cheap.

Copy over the vin and WALA... title for that bike, brand and all

:) i almost had todo that before

NorCalRacer
06-13-2006, 09:29 AM
I would definitely check with the police in your area. It is too bad you invested so much money in it. I don't believe you can get a title without a visible permanent vin#. I don't know how honda does it but maybe you can find something from the engine #.
I would definitely try and find the original doc's on the thing, something weird here....
GOOD LUCK!!

johnsls
06-13-2006, 09:38 AM
Well CRATH makes a good point,, mayber I can get a vin# plate off a totaled 400ex and put it on mine and then register it.

I also think the web site is something like DirtyJersey or DirtyJerzy,, somthing like that,,, I'm still looking.

06-13-2006, 09:42 AM
yeah, just get something like this

http://search.ebay.com/4649892442

but ask if he has the title for it, or find one with a title.

Kus then yuou will have a vin for a honda 400ex w/ title. dont have to get a new title, all that crap, you will have one already no mess :)

johnsls
06-13-2006, 09:43 AM
I FOUND THEM,, http://www.dirtyjerzey.com/

And CRATH you pm is full.

johnsls
06-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Here he is

johnsls
06-13-2006, 09:47 AM

06-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by johnsls
I FOUND THEM,, http://www.dirtyjerzey.com/

And CRATH you pm is full. are you sure?

it says

Your Inbox is 41% full - Current PM status: Low
Your PM folders: Sent Items(70) Inbox(41)

o well, this site is buggy :P, cleared some

btw: they look like fruit cakes :P

gbcap
06-13-2006, 09:56 AM
when i pc'ed my frame i could still see my vin. you can also acid dip that part and the vin will pop right out. they do this alot with cars/guns and whatnot that people try to grind away the serial number or vin number. if it is the stock frame you will be able to find it. if it is a new OEM frame they normally get your vin and stamp it into it before you buy it.

you can also check into getting a title for a custom built bike. they might ask for all your reciepts tho. if you can't provide most or all of your reciepts you are SOL.

STEVENJANNA
06-13-2006, 10:24 AM
John, I doubt by the condition that bike was in when you bought it that it was stolen. Why do you want a title anyway? It's not like we have any reason to register them here in Jersey. The last quad I bought had no VIN on it, the seller and I just drafted a bill of sale between the 2 of us and when I sell it I'm going to do the same. I don't know how Honda works but, the last frame I bought from Yamaha didn't have a VIN # on it. To see if there is any remnants of a VIN # you can also use aircraft stripper to remove all the finish without damaging the metal underneath.

johnsls
06-13-2006, 11:16 AM
Steve, good point, I dont think it was stolen either, but riding down in Toms River my buddy just happens to either get caught or pulled over and they always ask for his paperwork,,
The worse case scenerio is that if I do get it impounded,, How do I get it back..
Personally on the trails I'd ride my butt off to get away but for peice of mind is really why I'd like it.

I remember you telling me about registration and all in NJ but the rew riders I went with this weekend were telling me to ride down there I'd better get the paperwork.

:confused:

Thanks to all.

Franky G
06-13-2006, 12:33 PM
I had the same prob wen I bought my 400EX in a auction it was a stolen and recoverd and their was no S/N on the frame or the motor but I had the proof that I bought from an auction so my dad has a body shop and their a guy that works for the province that get new S/N for wrecked cars and stolen and recoverd cars and he got me a new S/N for the frame I am sure that their his a guy that does the same thing in the US :D

gotlift
06-14-2006, 10:35 PM
This is a real interesting thread. A couple of years ago Our 400 EX was stolen and parted out. In Feb. of this year we recieved a call from the Missouri State Patrol in Willow Springs stating that they had recovered it. Apparently thay pulled over a truck with it in the back and were unable to find the vin#. Thay eventually siezed the quad and did the whole CSI crime investigation. Used some special acid to see the numbers where they were ground off. Issued a new vin# and we received our quad back. It now has a 03 motor in it and looks better than when they stole it. New rims and Holeshots. The people bought it off some guy on E-bay in Minnesota or Michigan claiming to be a dealer. They could be charged with poss. of stolen property. The guy that sold the quad is under federal investigation for selling stolen property across state lines and some other things. So getting pulled over in the woods is not the only thing you have to worry about. You could always strip the quad down to the frame and take it to the police and have them check it out. At least if it was stolen you would only be out the frame.
Sorry for the long post.

440exnacsracer
06-14-2006, 10:51 PM
i can check tomorrow at work and see where some other numbers are for that model. i can then see if it was stolen. dont go tearing it apart yet just to get a title, there are other numbers you can get off of the bike.
thanks
Ben

440exnacsracer
06-14-2006, 10:57 PM
ok, i actually had a service manual here at my place. there are two other places you can get numbers off the bike. i can see if i can get a vin for the frame through one of these two numbers. one is your engine serial number located just below your front sprocket. the other is the carburetor id # located on the left side to the left of the choke lever. if you can get one or both of these, i can see if i can further help you

zack221
06-14-2006, 11:11 PM
those pics are probably of him doing wheelies on it after he stole it lol

johnsls
07-13-2006, 07:28 AM
ZACK221, no the one he's doing wheelies on was the other bike he had in hi garage. I still don't think it was stolen, but I'm gonna check the serial #'s etc.. and see what I can find.

derekhonda
07-13-2006, 10:53 AM
Is there still a number on the engine? It is right near the shifter, 5-7 digits i believe.

johnsls
07-14-2006, 09:09 AM
I'll look this wknd.
tks