PDA

View Full Version : Could I make money by builing this 400EX?

bigmackloud
08-13-2002, 11:30 AM
Hey,

in my search for a cheap used quad i came across a 2000 400EX. i went to look at it and even rode it. it's obviously been very very well used, particularly in the woods. the plastic is very scratched up and the front fenders have been cut off. (one was broken off, the other was cut to match). and one of the headlights isn't working, not sure why. the frame appears to be straight, though it shows some evidence of being used in the woods. the bearings in the rear end are going bad i'm told. the rear tires are almost worn out, the front tires are in decent shape. i'm no mechanic so it's hard for me to say the condition of the engine. the guy said ne never had any work done to it, so it's all stock. it started right up and didn't blow smoke at any time. it had good power as it would lift the front end up in 2nd gear with myself and the other guy on it at the same time. it seemed to shift fairly smoothly, but once again i'm not an experience quad rider so i'm not the best at shifting. the brakes locked up so i guess they are in good condition as well. the guy couldn't find the title but said he would right me a bill of sale.

how much do you think a quad like this is worth in it's current condition? the guy said he needed to sell it and would take $1750 for it. (firm)

now honestly i'd like to get the quad and keep abusing it, but it's just slightly out of my price range once i fix the current problems.

my option though is i could buy it, fix it up, and then sell it for a profit. i could borrow the money from my dad while i fixed it up, and then repay him when i sold it. plus i'd get to ride a 400EX while i was replacing stuff.

so what do you guys think? could i make some money off this 400EX? if it were you, what would you replace? obviously the plactic needs to go, and a new set of tires (maybe rims as well), and the rear bearings. i could go to the expense of getting a new top end with a hi-comp piston. but if i'm doing engine work, there's also the temptation of doing a new cam and a lot of other engine mods. but would that make it easier or harder to sell, and would it be worth my money invested? anything else that isn't too expensive that i should replace just for the buyers piece of mind?

all opinions, suggestions, and comments appreciated.

many thanks,
bigmac

RobG
08-13-2002, 11:34 AM
These things are always iffy...

You could buy it, but it could turn out to need a lot more than you thought. A lot of it will depend on how much work you can do yourself, and if you can find an inexpensive source for parts.

You might want to make a list of what you think it needs and start finding out what the parts cost (including body panes -- important if you really want to make money on it).

I have a bad feeling that the best you'd end up with is breaking even, which isn't worth it. You'd be out a bunch of time working on it. It would have been better to keep it and enjoy it.

If it was local to me, I'd check it out and consider buying it myself to fix up and keep. I'd just fix what was needed right then -- the tires, the bearings, and I'd probably put new plastic on it just so it didn't look too ragged.

Then instead of putting a 440 in my current 400EX, I'd do it in that one instead, since it's motor would probably need it more.

Then I'd have two good quads. :)

Rob

eldoexrider01
08-13-2002, 11:36 AM
its really hard to say... there could be a part that cost like 5 or 6 hundered dollars need to be replaced or jus might need a lil basic matainence. with doing things like this i would find someone around ur area that is familaiar wit atvs and see what they say. doin stuff like this is all jus go for it and hope ya come out even or more.

racer_ex55
08-13-2002, 11:48 AM
I think you could get away with it as long as it didn't need any motor work. Just put new plastic, tires and bearings in the back and you'd be set. Then you'd probably get around 3000$ depending on how nice it looked.

Ben
08-13-2002, 12:39 PM
I am always hesitant to buy and sell quads for a profit if they require work. You could buy new plastic all around ($150), replace the rear bearings ($ approx. $50), buy new turf tamers all around (about $100-$110). You could even buy a silencer ($100-$150 for a very nice used one) and spiff it up, but then you would also have to jet it (not hard but sometimes time consuming if you aren't good at it). All and all, if you don't have to get into the engine I don't see you spending more than $500 to fix it up. That equals about a $2,300, give or take, investment. You could easily sell a nice looking, NICE RUNNING, 2000 400ex for $3,000. Just make sure it runs right and everything is straight. If the swingarm is cracked, frame or subframe or a-arms are bent or tweaked it will not be worth it.

I find it a good policy to only buy things that are a good project but you also want to ride. I never buy anything I don't like simiply to make a profit - because I rarely do better than breaking even. Of course there is pleasure in restoring a quad, but if you are only doing it to make money I recommend you look for a cheaper quad (rough 250r, very cheap late model Banshee, Tecate, etc.). Even then it is a crap shoot. Good luck!

brian400ex
08-13-2002, 12:46 PM
I got a new set of Maier plastic i would sell ya.

Sparks425Ex
08-13-2002, 02:17 PM
It sounds Hot to me. I bet that it is stolen and the guy is just trying to get rid of it fast. not being able to find a title isn't good either.

Ben
08-13-2002, 04:16 PM
I missed the part about him not being able to find a title, I advise you to steer clear in that case. It is a pretty low price and the missing title makes it suspicious.

bigmackloud
08-13-2002, 04:25 PM
Hey,

where is the serial number located on a 400EX? my cousin is a police officer. could i get him to run the serial numer and see if it comes back stolen?

btw: thanks for all the opinions so far.

a friend of mine works for an atv dealer in the service dept. so he could help me with the work.

and i've seen a lot of these basic parts reasonably priced on ebay.

thanks again,
bigmac

OutlawEX
08-13-2002, 07:33 PM
U should get it,Look at my site i paid 500 bux for my 400ex now look at it

Nausty
08-13-2002, 09:20 PM
I say buy it, replace the plastic with the stock plastic, get tires, polish the entire motor and get a nice powdercoat on the frame and sell it and I bet you could get over 3k for it. Powder coating is cheap and polishing is practically free but your gonna have to get the paint stripped off from the motor which you need to use that aircraft stripper and its pry gonna be a weekend job.

quadman21
08-14-2002, 09:02 AM
It sounds "hot" to me too. Just do a little homework and make sure it isn't. But if it's not stolen the price it sounds great. If it is in fact stock, that makes it even better. Hondas are virtually indestructable...IMO

LiLMissHondaEx
08-14-2002, 11:24 AM
You get what you pay for. There is something either VERY wrong with this quad, or like others have said....it is stolen. IMHO if you buy a stolen quad...you mine as well have stolen it yourself. That price just seems a little low to not have something going on.

bigmackloud
08-14-2002, 11:58 AM
Hey,

yea, i'm a bit suspecious that it might be stolen as well, simply because of the price. how would i go about finding out if it's stolen or not?

also, remember part of the reason the price is so low is because this is a well used quad. many hours in the woods and fields and it shows.

thanks,
bigmac