PDA

View Full Version : raptor questions

Honda_exrider
06-12-2006, 09:54 PM
how does a raptor compare to a 400ex?? speed, jumps, ? .....and if a raptor has a 686 kit in it and a hot cam will it keep up with a 450r...or a 400ex? also how r raptors for doing wheelies? if u can answer any of these question it would be greatly appreciated!! thank you!

bansheexcracer2
06-12-2006, 09:59 PM
stock you will keep with a 400 and probibly a 450. the 2001 raptors had tranny problems. They are too tall in the woods and in corrners and want to tip over. They will beat anything off the line. So they jump and wheelie good. Those mods are good. Should be really fast. not like a banshee but still fast.

Honda_exrider
06-12-2006, 10:11 PM
do u know what the top speed would be on one?

bansheexcracer2
06-12-2006, 10:15 PM
Somewere in the area of 70 to 75.

Honda_exrider
06-12-2006, 10:16 PM
do u think that i would enjoy having a raptor more than having a 400ex?

Iliketogofast
06-12-2006, 10:21 PM
No.

Honda_exrider
06-12-2006, 10:25 PM
i want something that...when you come out of a turn it'll through u into a wheelir like the 450's

Mx_523
06-12-2006, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Honda_exrider
What kind of riding do you do?

If its trails or mx go with the 400ex. If its dunes or drags go with the Raptor.

bansheexcracer2
06-12-2006, 10:30 PM
No you will have problems with the raptor. The 400EX is the most reliable quad out there. Leave the motor stock except for a cam, pipe, and air filter. Then tires, nerf bars, skid plates, bars, shocks, and you will have usable power on a fun and reliable quad. When you start modifying the motor you run the risk of it blowing up and ruinning your fun.

YFZ450Ridr
06-12-2006, 10:32 PM
id rather have a raptor over a 400ex. they have loads of power from factory and only really need tires so the beast can hook up. they are not as top heavy as everyone says, nothing a little body english cant fix. they are GREAT woods bikes and run well in sand too. they are not to tall for the trails by any means. there is a raptor section on here. you might want to ask questions in there because any where else on here, people seem to nag on raptors more than anything.

bansheexcracer2
06-12-2006, 10:53 PM
I race x-contry and I love watching guys on raptors try to take a corrner in the woods and flip. even guys who know how to ride.

MAaudioX10
06-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by bansheexcracer2
I race x-contry and I love watching guys on raptors try to take a corrner in the woods and flip. even guys who know how to ride.

WOW....it baffles me to know that out of all the people in this forum, NO one points out that the reason these Raptors are so tipsy is because they have an 43.3" wide axle. THAT is why they are tipsy.

Get a +4 axle. Problem solved. No tipping!

You just have to be nuts to think a 400EX is better than a Raptor. All I hear is, "get a 400EX then do this and this and this, then this, with this." After your done, putting this with that, you've got a race quad. It kills me how bias this forum is.....no one thinks outside the box. It amazes me that anyone even asks for advice at all....same ol' chit, different day....

RaptorRacer45
06-13-2006, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by MAaudioX10
WOW....it baffles me to know that out of all the people in this forum, NO one points out that the reason these Raptors are so tipsy is because they have an 43.3" wide axle. THAT is why they are tipsy.

You just have to be nuts to think a 400EX is better than a Raptor. All I hear is, "get a 400EX then do this and this and this, then this, with this." After your done, putting this with that, you've got a race quad. It kills me how bias this forum is.....no one thinks outside the box. It amazes me that anyone even asks for advice at all....same ol' chit, different day....

Thats usually why i stay quiet around these topics

Iliketogofast
06-13-2006, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by MAaudioX10

Don't you know the original name of this site? ;)

Even if you do get a +4 axle it still feels like you're riding a refridgerator IMO.

MAaudioX10
06-13-2006, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Iliketogofast
Don't you know the original name of this site? ;)

Even if you do get a +4 axle it still feels like you're riding a refridgerator IMO.

That's all fine and good, for you, but you have to agree. With such a simple mod, the stability in the machine increases considerably.

Racing Rice
06-13-2006, 08:22 AM

I use to have a 250X, I almost bought a 440EX that had a good bit of work done to it. I ended up buying a new Raptor for about the same price. I've ridden modded and stock 400EXs and I personally prefer the Raptor. Especially after doing suspension work to it!

It's a personal preference. Buy the one you are most comfortable on. If you can ride each, then do!

suck my pipe
06-13-2006, 08:59 AM
yah the Raptors have nuts. I think there alot of fun, but when its time to get a little serious a 400 will blow a raptor away as far as the woods riding gos, its just too skinny and tall. The only reason i would tell you not to get on is because a Yamaha will burn a hole in your pocket keeping up with every thing that you broke. If you can afford to ge t an axle $200 and you might be able to get away with fliping the front rims, I dont know how agressive your riding syle is but you should be all good.

PS: dont let no one bull $hit you there real fun man, I just know someone who had one and it basically fell apart.

Racing Rice
06-13-2006, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by suck my pipe
yah the Raptors have nuts. I think there alot of fun, but when its time to get a little serious a 400 will blow a raptor away as far as the woods riding gos, its just too skinny and tall.

Stock Raptors require a little more body english and finess, but still seem to be less tiring to ride then 400EXs do.

If you want fun ride a raptor that has been widened and lowered.. It's a totally different machine!!! :macho

CHEVYZ
06-13-2006, 10:11 AM
how does a raptor compare to a 400ex?? speed, jumps, ? .....and if a raptor has a 686 kit in it and a hot cam will it keep up with a 450r...or a 400ex? also how r raptors for doing wheelies? if u can answer any of these question it would be greatly appreciated!! thank you! As far as speed, the Raptor has much more top-end. My 400EX could however out accelerate every Raptor that I have ever raced.. even the 700s for a time. They usually cruise on by me at the top. I think that the 400EX is alot easier to drive and "Go fast on" compared to the Raptor, which contributes to out accelerating it for the most part. The 400EX jumps better, and is easier to lug around. The Raptor and EX both do pretty well for trails. I think that which ever you feel most comfortable on is going to be the one you prefer to ride... despite how one may out perform the other in certain "Areas." Raptors do wheelies pretty decently.... they are very easy to bring up and hold decently.

Now for keeping up. A modified Raptor should me able to hang with or beat some 450s. One like you described could probably do decently against many 450rs ( Especially older models)..... but I would pick your battles against 06 models. With an HRC kit on my 06, I was taking a 700 Raptor with exhaust, air filter, programmed, ect. by about 3-4 bikes. He had extreme Haulers.... I had Maxxis Roosters, which I must add have got to be the worst tires for drag racing ever... but they held up decently with a hard lauch in the harder packed type of sand. Like I was saying though, some you may beat easily, some may eat you up and spit you out... all will vary. The 400EX, however won't be close in most drags without heavy mods. My nicely modified 440EX has its time hanging with 450s!

If you are deciding, please do not let someone else decide for you. In the end it comes down to which one you will have to deal with and ride, so pick the one you feel most comfortable with. Whatever you choose, you will have fun... both are great! :macho

Honda_exrider
06-13-2006, 01:02 PM
As far as speed, the Raptor has much more top-end. My 400EX could however out accelerate every Raptor that I have ever raced.. even the 700s for a time. They usually cruise on by me at the top. I think that the 400EX is alot easier to drive and "Go fast on" compared to the Raptor, which contributes to out accelerating it for the most part. The 400EX jumps better, and is easier to lug around. The Raptor and EX both do pretty well for trails. I think that which ever you feel most comfortable on is going to be the one you prefer to ride... despite how one may out perform the other in certain "Areas." Raptors do wheelies pretty decently.... they are very easy to bring up and hold decently.

thank u for such a detailed reply...and thanks to everyone else that replied.......but their is nowhere around here that i could ride a rappy??? o welll..................thanx

CHEVYZ
06-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Do you have a Yamaha dealer near you..... a used ATV lot or something of that sort? You could always go and sit on it. Even if you cannot ride it, it can still help alot in your decision... I know that it helped me when I was deciding between the YFZ and 450r!

Also, you say that there are no Rappys to ride, but what about the 400EXs? Go out and ride one, if you like it, it may be the choice for you!

Honda400exrox
06-13-2006, 04:02 PM
Just get the raptor 700

400exstud
06-13-2006, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Honda400exrox
Just get the raptor 700

Yeah that will solve everything:huh