PDA

View Full Version : DIY brake light?

-copyguy-
06-12-2006, 07:46 PM
Does anyone know how to do a DIY brake light for a 400ex? I know they sell kits on ebay for like 50 bucks, but it can't be that hard (or expensive) to really do.

Has anyone done this? I ride trails and would really like to have a working brake light for when the newbs are behind me... :D

JOEX
06-12-2006, 09:14 PM
I did it with out the 'kit' using a brake light from the newer 400ex/450r's. I also used banjo bolt switches, you'll need one for each master cylinder, about $12 each along with assorted wire connectors.

It can be done with mechanical switches also.

GPracer2500
06-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Cheapest way is probably a mechanical switch like this...

http://img.jpcycles.com/main/f6df2cf1-45fa-4850-a7c9-29dc1cf8b2db.jpeg

...along with a simple automotive bulb and socket rigged inside your current running lamp assembly.

Kinda' ghetto though--I wouldn't go that route on my quad unless I really wanted one for as little $ as possible. Also, those switches will only work with the rear brake.

JOEX's suggestion about hydralic banjo bolt switch(es) and a newer 400ex/450r taillamp assembly is certainly the "best" way to go but also the most expensive. I think that tail lamp assy is like $80 new. They are nice though with the LEDs and all.

Or, you could go somewhere inbetween those two options. Use the nicer banjo switch(es) and come up with your own solution for the brake light itself. Maybe a nice bright LED unit like one of these would be nice. You'll just have to find somthing that will fit inside your current running lamp assembly (looks like one of these might)...

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/images/T08nWH8AAAEAACCmHB4AAAAB-43627.jpg

06-13-2006, 04:54 AM
i have the kit from ebay, was too lazy to try and figure it out myself. i have had it on for three years now, no probs with it. the front also uses a mechanical switch. i'll get some pics of it later for you.

essentiall the guy sent me 2 new bulbs to add to my stock light(2000 400ex) and the wiring. it uses bullet connectors to jumper in for power and grounds at the grab bar/toolbox bolt. it sounds a lot more complicated than it really is...once i get some pics, you will be able to understand better.

JOEX
06-13-2006, 01:35 PM
I've read that the little black box on the stock clutch lever can be mounted to the front brake lever perch for a brake light switch. There is an existing hole on perch that will need to be tapped.

Stock LED brake lights had been running about $40-$50 on here and ebay. Don't know what they are now.

How is the brake light activated on the newer 400ex's and 450r?

06-13-2006, 01:51 PM
i can't speak for the 400ex's but my o6 r has a similar switch to the aftermarket one that is on the ex...i am going to take some pics right now of the ex set-up...i think the switch from the clutch lever is just like the one that was added to my brake lever...

-copyguy-
06-13-2006, 01:56 PM
Thanks guys. I'm really interested in doing this project and don't mind doing some work to save some $$$ :D

06-13-2006, 02:26 PM
i am uploading photos to a pic hosting site right now...i'll just put the link to the album in the next post

06-13-2006, 02:35 PM
aftermarket brake light mod (http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1694326)

i still have the installation instructions if you want me to scan and email them to you...you could probably go from that, the pics in the instructions and the pics i have to figure it out...

06-13-2006, 02:36 PM
i guess i might have been a little too close on most of thsoe...if you want better pics...i can get them for you...

-copyguy-
06-13-2006, 06:42 PM
If you wouldn't mind, a re-shoot of the pics would be great, along with a copy of the install directions too please.

email is matthews@consultassoc.com

Thanks!

06-14-2006, 08:48 AM
sending the email now. let meknow if it comes through ok for you or not. the pics in the instructions are pretty good so i think that i will not need to retake the ones of it on my bike. i bought the kit in two parts becasue when i did the rear, he did not have a set-up for the front yet. once he did, i purchased that for a few dollars more. i could not find the instructions for the front brake. i'll see if i can get the switch off and get some pics of it.

my kit was only the second or third he sold. he has updated it since. it works great.

feel free to ask any questions, i'll try and answer them