PDA

View Full Version : Honda advertisement from 1970 (the birth of the ATV)

GPracer2500
06-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Oh how times have changed. I especially like, "How powerful's the engine? Plenty powerful...packs 7 horses @ 8,500rpm..."

http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/Sads/sHonda1970us90.jpg

Oddly, I kinda wish I had one--just for fun.

cds
06-18-2006, 05:04 PM
LOL, considering the "suspension," 7hp was probably enough!

I've never ridden an ATC quite that old. I used to ride an old 200 that had about 3" of travel on the front suspension and a top speed of probably 35mph. It was fun, but I never looked back after riding an ATV with modern suspension.

Too bad that 3-wheelers got a bad rep. Machines like the 200x, 250r, and 350x are way cool, IMO.

Thanks for the vintage post,
cd

250rmike
06-18-2006, 06:05 PM
wow never rode a 3 wheeler but that a good add. i especially like the marketing strategy for the motor "its a honda, the best"

wicked265R
07-07-2006, 04:21 PM
I've got a 1971 honda CT-70 that has the same motor as that atc. Mine has an speedometer/odometer and it reads 1200 miles. thats when my speedo cable broke so id estimate it at 1210 miles since the cable broke. Mine has the original motor, no work done at all. EVERYTHING IS STOCK from the factory since 1971 when it rolled off the production line. I'll try to pull up some pictures of it. Its got a candy blue frame with a rare option like luggage rack. It has pegs on the back for a passenger, but with only about 5hp it has trouble, which it has every right too. The owner before me hacked up the electrical for some reason so the headlight doesnt work. Unfortunately i rode the poor bike too hard and dumped it. i broke the original headlight bucket but put another one on. ever since i've had a problem keeping the headlight in place. I cant seem to find a picture right now, but i'll deffinetly take a picture for you guys to see cause Honda wasn't lying when they said the motor is reliable :muscle: