PDA

View Full Version : check out the intake i made

exrider008
06-12-2006, 01:46 PM
tell me u think, and will i see a increas in power?
the little brass thing is for my crankcase breather.

rooster300ex
06-12-2006, 01:54 PM
I don't think that will increase airflow.

250r4life
06-12-2006, 02:47 PM
what exactly would you be doing with that? attaching it straight to your carb or what?

exrider008
06-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
what exactly would you be doing with that? attaching it straight to your carb or what?

yes
rooster300ex why do u think that i wont get more flow?

250r4life
06-12-2006, 04:59 PM
that looks like a pretty small filter to me... i dont see the point in it...

exrider008
06-12-2006, 05:14 PM
i made it because i have a rip in my boot. the filter is off my 300ex cuz it had a rubber end and the 400 dosent. i am putting it on tomorow and i will just have to see if it works.

Iliketogofast
06-12-2006, 05:28 PM
It seems to me like you tried to make a cold air intake, but that is pointless on a quad because the area where the air filter is doesn't get hot. On a car, the point of a cold air intake is to relocate the filter to a cooler place, outside the engine bay.

Now, if you try to put it towards the front to force more air in, you might see an increase in air flow.

theTman
06-12-2006, 05:32 PM
ill sell you my airboot off my old 400....15 shipped

exrider008
06-12-2006, 05:52 PM
no thanks theTman i have an extra in box of parts somewere but i had some PVC lying around so i thought i would just try it and see how it works. if it dosent work then it was free so its not like i spent money on something that dosent work.

ryanh250ex
06-12-2006, 06:28 PM
you'll definitely see an increase in torque, but as far as high rpms goes? i think you'll notice less of an ability to rev out.

it's hard to judge in the picture, but it would be a good idea to cut a few inches off of that PVC pipe, as it looks pretty long. you'll notice less of a low end gain but it will be far easier to rev out.

I recently did something similiar on my 250ex- i used a rubber coupler that tapers from 1.5" to 1.25". I havent had time to ride it much but from the few minutes i spent it seems like there was a noticeable gain. also noticed a much louder intake note compared to stock airbox w/ no lid.

let us know how it performs.

exrider008
06-12-2006, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by ryanh250ex
you'll definitely see an increase in torque, but as far as high rpms goes? i think you'll notice less of an ability to rev out.

it's hard to judge in the picture, but it would be a good idea to cut a few inches off of that PVC pipe, as it looks pretty long. you'll notice less of a low end gain but it will be far easier to rev out.

I recently did something similiar on my 250ex- i used a rubber coupler that tapers from 1.5" to 1.25". I havent had time to ride it much but from the few minutes i spent it seems like there was a noticeable gain. also noticed a much louder intake note compared to stock airbox w/ no lid.

let us know how it performs.

ya its long because im doing a 406 and i dont have my head on do u cant put my carb on and i didnt want to cut it to short. so when i put my carb on i will cut it so it fits.
and i will be trying it both ways the stock boot and the one i made.i will let u all know how it works!

QuadRacr57
06-12-2006, 07:29 PM
how do you plan on attaching it to your carb also?

boricua
06-12-2006, 08:34 PM
i think you will see a difference. especially in the lower half of the rpm range. the top half just might stay the same. might move where your peak torque around a bit. there is something called a velocity intake which is just like what you did only in metal and it might be a little shorter.
oh well, some people dont like change :rolleyes:
give it a shot...thats how improvements are made, trial and error. if it doesnt do anything, put it back in you pile of pvc stuff....
nothing to lose, just keep us posted:macho

exrider008
06-13-2006, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by QuadRacr57
how do you plan on attaching it to your carb also?

the pvc is the same size around as the carb so i am just going to take a round pice of rubber made for a 1" PVC and a clamp an the carb and one on the pvc.

premiumtommy
06-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Iliketogofast
It seems to me like you tried to make a cold air intake, but that is pointless on a quad because the area where the air filter is doesn't get hot. On a car, the point of a cold air intake is to relocate the filter to a cooler place, outside the engine bay.

Now, if you try to put it towards the front to force more air in, you might see an increase in air flow.

how can u say the area near the airbox doesnt get hot???

when u ride, all the hot air coming off the engine passes right by the airbox....did this air magically drop in temp by 100 degrees??

DEVINF450R
06-14-2006, 04:27 PM
I think his point was that it wasn't a cold air intake comparable to the one on automobiles.

Iliketogofast
06-14-2006, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by DEVINF450R
I think his point was that it wasn't a cold air intake comparable to the one on automobiles.

Thank you. While the air temperature may get warm inside the airbox, it isn't getting hot like it does under the hood of a car. In a car, everything is couped up in one space. The airbox on a motorcycle has it's own seperate space already.

On a car, the air filter is relocated right outside of the engine bay with a cold air intake. Usually it goes under the fender, but it is still in the same relative distance to the engine as the stock setup on motorcycles.

krt400ex
06-15-2006, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
I don't think that will increase airflow.

I don't think you know what you are talking about. it def. will becaus there is no restriction what so ever.

400exstud
06-15-2006, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
I don't think you know what you are talking about. it def. will becaus there is no restriction what so ever.

I don't think that you know what you're talking about. Tell me what restriction the stock intake has. Plus that PVC is a smaller diameter than the stock tube.

OWN3D?

krt400ex
06-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by 400exstud
I don't think that you know what you're talking about. Tell me what restriction the stock intake has. Plus that PVC is a smaller diameter than the stock tube.

OWN3D?

The air box snorkel is a restriction. if he had no air box lid then it probably won't make a difference, and the pvc has to be the same size because othewise the filter won't fit on the end; it would be too big. and i do know what i'm talking about.