PDA

View Full Version : Crank Rod

bh2285
06-11-2006, 10:47 PM
How can you tell if the crank Rod is shot. I have a lot of wrist pin play and alot of slop where it connects to the crank.

Can I just replace the Rod or do I have to buy a whole Crank?

Where can I get just the Rod if I can?

bh2285
06-12-2006, 01:56 PM
Anyone?

F-16Guy
06-12-2006, 03:05 PM
If there is any up and down play, the rod bearing is shot; a small amount of side to side play is okay. If it's bad, you would then have to have the crank pressed apart to determine if it is rebuildable. For the average guy, it is probably more cost effective to buy an assembled crank like the Hot Rods one. If you have enough mechanical ability to split the case and swap the crank out, you could get away pretty cheap compared to having a shop do it. Most shops charge about $300 just to split it and put it back together, not including any parts, gaskets, or shop supplies.

GPracer2500
06-12-2006, 03:20 PM
A service manual will have the service limits for the crank and rod.

To buy replacements from Honda you have to buy a crankshaft assembly which is both the crank and the rod (~$300).

There are other options for replacement cranks and rods also. Hot Rods, Falicon, and Carrillo for connecting rods. If your crank is shot than you've got the perfect opportunity to put in a stroker crank and rod.

bh2285
06-12-2006, 09:29 PM
Well, I can split the cases Ive done it before...As far a stroker I dont want to do that because I just want it to be close to stock but a little more...

I have 2 cranks already but the rods on both are toast...I have up and down play at the crank and the wrist pin. I really just want to replace the Rod with a stock rod but i cant seem to find one.

How do I tell it the crank is shot? I have the case split on one motor.

GPracer2500
06-12-2006, 10:22 PM
To evaluate the crank you'll need to remove it and set it in V-blocks to measure the runnout with a dial indicator. Compare the measurements to the factory service limits to determine if it's still good. An experienced machinist may be able to rebuild the crank if it's out of spec.

Most poeple don't have V-blocks and whatnot (I'm assuming you don't). A machinist or competent mechanic can do that if you bring the service limit specs in with the crank.

If the crank and con rod are both shot than it may be cheaper/easier/faster to just get a new OEM or Hot Rods crankshaft assembly.

bh2285
06-13-2006, 01:20 AM
Would a lose wrist pin cause a "knock" when I let off the throttle?