PDA

View Full Version : Stripping bolts

HRC_rider
06-11-2006, 08:10 PM
Either my torque wrenches aren't calibrated OR I don't know how to use them properly (kidding) OR these Honda nuts and bolts are real soft. I've broken my swingarm bolt and most recently I've stripped one of the bolts for the rear sprocket. All well below the torques listed in the service manual. My biggest worry is the long bolt holding the oil filter. It threads in fine but just doesn't feel right and I'm figuring the threads in the case are stretching. 12 Nm for this bolt just seems way too high and I just can't do it. 7-8 tops.

I'm starting to think I'm doing something wrong although I've completely rebuilt everything else I own multiple times with no problems :confused: Does anyone else feel like they might break something on their R every time they take it apart and reassemble it?

DirtDevilBT
06-11-2006, 08:49 PM
lol, never use torque wrenches other than on the motor. haha
Just go by feel.

440ex kid
06-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Just go by feel

I agree. Tighten them pretty tight, but on aluminum cases dont kill them. It doesnt take much to strip aluminum. Make sure the bolts are started straight and your not cross threading.

HRC_rider
06-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by DirtDevilBT
lol, never use torque wrenches other than on the motor. haha
Just go by feel.

Good advice. I should have taken the same from a friend who questioned me a few weeks ago. I just figured I've got the tools so do it right but no more.

GIXXER1KR
06-11-2006, 10:02 PM
Yeah i learned the hard way working on a Harley a couple weeks ago.I torqued it to specs and it snapped.Come to find out the Clymer was wrong!!!I only torque the big stuff and engine parts!!!You get a feel for it after a while!!!

awj8074
06-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Yea that long bolt on the oil filter cover was my biggest problem when i first got mine. I snaped the bolt the first 2 times i changed the oil. Now i just use a small wrench and tighten it just enough i guess i got the feel for it now. 1st 2 times i used a socket and it snaped like a twig.

IOWAracer
06-11-2006, 10:54 PM
My only problem was the oil drane plug on the side of the case i crossthreaded it cause of how you have to go at it with a socket it sucks but i managed to make it work

I hope.

broc

Architects
06-11-2006, 10:55 PM
I swear on a daily basis I read someone whos snapped a bolt on there honda. Whats the deal. These bolts must be made of cheese. I too also have snapped the long oil filter cover bolt

DirtDevilBT
06-11-2006, 11:59 PM
its funny though cause normally it would be the threads in the case to strip, not the bolt breaking. Odd for sure. Stripped the case and cracked my warrior's oil filter cover once, had to thread lock a stud in and use a lock nut. Works great but I was following the torgue figures when it happened. Never even got half the asked for torgue.

Also stripped one of my Sea Doo's pump bolts, the cover where the pump oil goes. The !SEA DOO! manual asked for 20some pounds and the bar never saw 15. Spinning spinning spinning

All my torque wrenches are the bar type, brand new craftsman. The clicker types are nice but need adjustment every now and then. What type did any of you use?

DieselBoy
06-12-2006, 01:12 AM
personally i friggin hate aluminum... nothing but hastles :blah:

JW450R1
06-12-2006, 04:47 AM
go by feel.r u using air guns.???
tighten the bolt until the bolt bottoms out,then maybe a 1/4 turn.be very easy and take your time.

HRC_rider
06-12-2006, 05:03 AM
Well at least it's not just me but this sucks when it happens. I've been using clicker type torque wrenches that have been calibrated recently so I'm pretty sure they are within spec. With respect to the long filter bolt I even bought a new one hoping the threads on the bolt were stretched but unfortunately the aluminum case is the problem so now I'll have to be real careful every time I pull the oil filter:( I'm not sure that it's any better than snapping the bolt but at least I don't have to fish it out. Too bad it's a bolt I pull all the time.

JW450R1
06-12-2006, 07:59 AM
try tightening the bolt less.then start up the quad and ck for leaks.see if that can help u

HRC_rider
06-12-2006, 08:14 AM
Yep if it doesn't leak that will be tight enough from now on. The only axial force really required is to compress the small little spring on the backside of the filter.

DieselBoy
06-12-2006, 12:43 PM
just snug it up. i always say better too loose than too tight

DirtDevilBT
06-15-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by HRC_rider
Yep if it doesn't leak that will be tight enough from now on. The only axial force really required is to compress the small little spring on the backside of the filter.

Or just enough to seal the O ring.

Try this HRC: take a bolt or stud the same size as the oil filter cap bolt. What you need is to either cut the bolt off at the end of the threads or use a threaded stud. Put some red lockite on the threads and thread it in until it just bottoms out, don't keep turning. Let it dry for a day, more than needed but that's better. Then when you put the cover back on use the threaded stud with a nylon lock nut to hold that side down. Don't over tighten the nut, it's just there to put on after the other bolts are tight.

Understand? 2 bolts and one nut. that's how my warrior it, been so for 2 years