PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions on these shocks!

moto440ex
06-11-2006, 03:49 PM
Ok, I've had my elkas for a little over 3 months now. It seems the more I ride, the more I hate these shocks. I even had them rebuilt by J-H Racing, which made them feel better, but they still ride really rough. They do good on jumps, but the braking bumps, whoops, and ruts kill me. I rode another bike with PEP shocks today and it was a world of difference. I never really used to get bad arm pump until I got the Elkas. I couldve gotten 1st in a race today, but arm pump was so bad I dropped down to 5th. So anyone that has experience with either PEP or Custom Axis, or both, let me know what you think of them because im deciding between those two.

DJJ450r
06-11-2006, 05:09 PM
I've never rode with PEP's but both of my friends have Axis and I love them, I'm waiting for mine to get here:macho I race XC though so I dont know about for MX. You'll wait a while for Axis but it's well worth the wait.:D

JW450R1
06-11-2006, 05:38 PM
did u buy them new?.try calling elka they have a awesome cust. service.i had elkas on the front and i had a hard time fine tuning them.i was fed-up,so i called elka.they fixed me right up.so then i got the rear shock and linkage.wow what a huge difference.

TheFontMaster
06-11-2006, 08:16 PM
I always hear that Elkas valving is off, but once they get sent to someone else to get re valved they are great. I say go with PEP's or Axis.

DOHC
06-12-2006, 02:14 PM
I've heard good things about TCS ;)

TBD
06-12-2006, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by moto440ex
Ok, I've had my elkas for a little over 3 months now. It seems the more I ride, the more I hate these shocks. I even had them rebuilt by J-H Racing, which made them feel better, but they still ride really rough. They do good on jumps, but the braking bumps, whoops, and ruts kill me. I rode another bike with PEP shocks today and it was a world of difference. I never really used to get bad arm pump until I got the Elkas. I couldve gotten 1st in a race today, but arm pump was so bad I dropped down to 5th. So anyone that has experience with either PEP or Custom Axis, or both, let me know what you think of them because im deciding between those two.
Send your Elkas to TCS and they will work great. No reason to buy shocks just have a good shock tuner redo them like Todd at TCS.

Dave400ex
06-12-2006, 04:10 PM
I've been happy with both sets of my Elka's when I got them, but I sent my Elka's I had on my 400 to Precision Concepts, what a night and day difference. They were awesome. I suggest having a place like Precision Concepts, GT Thunder, DeRisi Racing, or Noleen revalve them for you. I think you will be happy...

PismoLocal
06-12-2006, 04:31 PM
What's up with elka why does there valving suck so bad. It seems like 8 out of 10 people have to get there brand new elkas re-valved. Why don't they set them up right from the factory? I would be pissed if I spent $1600 on new shocks and had to get all three revalved befor they were any good. Why doesnt Elka fix this problem?

moto440ex
06-13-2006, 12:18 PM
The thing is ive already sent my shocks to J-H racing to be valved. It made a big difference, but I still hate em. They are way too stiff. i might try sendin em to Todd at TCS, ive heard alot of good things about him, and yall say do that, so i'll try that probably. I'm thinkin maybe get some Custom Axis springs put on there too, or just get Elka to send me some softer springs. Would that make any big difference? Thanks for yalls help. Any other suggestions?

06-13-2006, 12:22 PM
maybe it is just the way you are asking for them to be set up. mis-judgiing your riding style, off a little on the weight, etc...

Carl_YFZ
06-13-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
maybe it is just the way you are asking for them to be set up. mis-judgiing your riding style, off a little on the weight, etc...

I'm with you on that one. And also did you adjust your ride height??? thats THE most important part of the whole setup. If the rear is higher it will be harsh.

moto440ex
06-13-2006, 11:28 PM
Yeah I was exact on Riding style, my weight with riding clothes on, what class I race in, and all that when I first ordered them and when I sent them to be revalved too . Yea I made sure my back was at a lower ride height. I dont know what else to do. I'm gonna mess with the height, preload, and compression some more this weekend and see if I can make em ride better.

TBD
06-14-2006, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by moto440ex
The thing is ive already sent my shocks to J-H racing to be valved. It made a big difference, but I still hate em. They are way too stiff. i might try sendin em to Todd at TCS, ive heard alot of good things about him, and yall say do that, so i'll try that probably. I'm thinkin maybe get some Custom Axis springs put on there too, or just get Elka to send me some softer springs. Would that make any big difference? Thanks for yalls help. Any other suggestions?

What brand springs you use doesn't matter. It's all in the spring rates and crossovers.