PDA

View Full Version : body lifts

400sEXridr
06-11-2006, 02:23 PM
what are the advantages and disadvantages to using a body lift kit as opposed to a suspension lift other than cost.

gbcap
06-11-2006, 02:52 PM
I assume your talking about a truck?

a good suspension lift can smooth out the ride of your truck.

all body lifts do is lift the body off the frame. you have to do alot of lenghtening of stuff to make it fit in the truck again. steering, shifting, electronics, brake lines, fan shrouds, cooling lines, etc.

suspension just puts more stress on the drivetrain. higher driveshaft angles. alot of times you have to lower the transfer case.

i would say suspension is best. more expensive...but a better all around option!

killed300ex
06-11-2006, 06:56 PM
I presonally like them. I have one on my 96 dodge ram 2500. You wouldnt know it had a body lift unless you got under the truck and looked. I would only go with 2 inch. All my cables still have plenty of play only thing that is remotly tight is the emergancy brake cable but still is fine. All the brake lines stretch fine from the coils right at the master cylinder. THe radiator hoses also stretch just fine. I would recomend them on any truck but chevys because they show alot of frame sotck but on a dodge you will not even notice it.
Evan

TheFontMaster
06-11-2006, 07:01 PM
I wouldn't do it. In most cases they just look bad, because they will show alot of frame, and it doesn't increase ground clearence or anything. The only advantage they have is you can fit bigger tires. The body lift just puts more stress on the bolts that hold the body on when you are off roading, and really get the truck flexing. Unless it's just a beater truck, I wouldn't even bother.

spdygonzalez450
06-11-2006, 11:09 PM
i have been looking at body lifts for my truck. really the only advantage is being able to put bigger tires. so when you have a suspension lift and you want it to be bigger the only way is to do a body lift. with that said. if you do it right, like the new front and rear bumper brackets to keep everything together, and you get the gap guards you dont see the frame at all. and you can make room for bigger tires. i would not go more than 2inch. also about the whole putting more stress on it yes that is true. but my friend has a body lift and he beats his truck pretty good. and those moutns have not moved and have done nothing. i really did not want one but i will be doing one since i have seen my buddy's truck and seen that they can with stand a lot